Close

Default Can someone PLEASE help me locate a door glass part for a T-Top car?

First of all...AWESOME site. Privileged to use such a wealth of knowledge. I've had 30+ fox cars but this is my first T-Top and I'm having some difficulty tracking down door window parts to repair a drivers side window that slid off track. I was expecting a typical regulator replacement but once I removed the door panel I was met with what I believe to be a window mounting bracket. I phoned NPD and nothing. It's the part that rivets to the bottom of the glass itself. I've circled the part and corresponding number on the tech sheet. I can't find this anywhere. The car is a 13k original mile car so please don't tell me I need to replace the glass itself lol
    Last edited by what'snext; 04-10-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Is this by chance not year/T-Top specific as to where I can pull it off another fox car? Surely someone has some input

FEP Supporter

Being a t top it's not a 79 which I believe are different than others.

I would think you should be able to use one from almost any other car. You can buy replacement rivet kits but I've seen others use bolts to join the glass to the part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

To clarify it is an 86. I'm wondering what the part is called and if it can be sourced anywhere outside of a junkyard

FEP Member

That part joins the door glass with riveted bushings, to the round center post the glass slides up/down on. The glass itself is different for T-top/'vert/ hardtop but the rest of the door Inside parts are not.
    **P.S: what is wrong with yours on a 13K mile car?
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-11-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11secGT View Post
    That part joins the door glass with riveted bushings, to the round center post the glass slides up/down on. The glass itself is different for T-top/'vert/ hardtop but the rest of the door Inside parts are not.
    **P.S: what is wrong with yours on a 13K mile car?
    That helps thank you! And the power windows worked flawless...passenger still does. The thin aluminum bracket just snapped clean in half out of the blue. I imagine only being rolled down once or twice every several months must leave it more susceptible to failure. Couldn't say for sure. The car will be hitting the market soon so I'm going over it with a fine tooth comb...just didn't expect the window to drop when function checking the power options

The only help I can be is that I have an '85 t-top. I ordered parts a bunch of years ago for the window and they did not fit I ended up making my own.

I'm going to take a pic of the actual part and post it up. That may help

Is this what you need? This is a fairly low mile 81 Capri. Works fine but I'd put a new bushing on it just to be new.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  89.6 KB
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Anyone that offers parts in this thread needs to also state that the parts are free. Otherwise your reply will be edited or deleted. This thread is not a classified want-to-buy ad so please do not treat it as such. Thank you.

No selling outside of the Classified areas. If you've something to offer to someone for free, or the cost of shipping, it's 'legal' to offer in the other areas. If you're dying to let someone know you have something they may want to purchase, then send them a Private Message OR an email via the board. Do NOT post an offer in a non-classified thread. Posts will be edited or removed by staff without warning.

first things first I want to make certain that no rules are violated. Since I'm not sure if you were offering that to me or trying to sell it I'll just post these pics until I get clarity This is what failed. The last pic in particular shows the bracket that snapped. I think....and honestly hope we're talking about the same part.

Never noticed what section this was even posted, just thought we were helping each other out. Not looking for any trouble.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Quote Originally Posted by Fearnot View Post
    Never noticed what section this was even posted, just thought we were helping each other out. Not looking for any trouble.
    If it's a match then how do we proceed by the book? I'm assuming you wanted me to pay for it correct?

Place a WTB ad in the classifieds. That is the only forum buying and selling should be done. Everything else gets deleted. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Place a WTB ad in the classifieds. That is the only forum buying and selling should be done. Everything else gets deleted. Thanks.
    Appreciate that. You're welcome to move this thread if you feel it's appropriate

The piece that snapped off the bracket is the channel the window regulator arm rides in. It is simply spot welded on. Remove the bracket, drill two 1/4" holes in the bracket that match up with the original spot welds and rosette weld the bracket back onto the guide.

If done carefully and with protection on the glass you don't even have to remove the glass from the guide. If you are concerned about the glass then simply grind the rivet heads off the bushings that hold the glass to the guide and then reinstall the glass after you have completed the repairs. I have seen this happen on a couple of Foxes over the years, an easy and quick fix that can be done and back together in a couple of hours. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The piece that snapped off the bracket is the channel the window regulator arm rides in. It is simply spot welded on. Remove the bracket, drill two 1/4" holes in the bracket that match up with the original spot welds and rosette weld the bracket back onto the guide.

If done carefully and with protection on the glass you don't even have to remove the glass from the guide. If you are concerned about the glass then simply grind the rivet heads off the bushings that hold the glass to the guide and then reinstall the glass after you have completed the repairs. I have seen this happen on a couple of Foxes over the years, an easy and quick fix that can be done and back together in a couple of hours. Good Luck!
    I think I'm going to give this a try. The parts inside my door are in fabulous condition otherwise and I always prefer keeping what came on the car to using donor parts. If that doesn't work properly I'll certainly take advantage of the kindness that's been offered with replacement parts. Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes! Happy Easter

Ok next question....I know I've got to be overstaying my welcome lol

can anyonr source a diagram fot assembly/disassembly on inner door/window
    parts?