Close

Default a P0441 evap code on 2007 Santa Fe

My wife got a 2007 Santa Fe a few months back. The Check engine light came on right after driving for the first time (of course).

When we took it for NYS Inspection my mechanic told us the code is an evap code. He ran the smoke machine and saw a small fuel cap leak and he told me swap the gas cap. I first tried a Stant but the check engine light came back a day later.

Tossed the Stant and went for a stock Hyundai cap. Check engine come right back a day later. We have run the smoke machine on this several times with no detected leaks. Also ran the Snap-On scanner more than once and ran an evap test which passes with no detectable leaks and evap vacuum at correct level.

Yet this check engine light is still there with a P0441 evap code. I really don't want to have to take the car to Hyundai and get banged by the dealer on this.

Does anyone have any idea what else could be causing this if there's no leaks?

The P0441 OBD-II code is relatively rare (at least for Toyotas). It indicates an Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow. The EVAP system manages gasoline vapor evaporation from the gas tank and fuel systems. It consists of several parts, but works relatively simply.
    That's all I got.

Cale

This is becoming a real PITA.

My mechanic and I have gone over this repeatedly. Test the system for leaks with smoke machine. No leaks found. Bypass the system and run a test using SnapOn scanner and it passes every time.

P0441 keeps coming back. Assuming theres no leaks but a failing sensor somewhere I changed;
    Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor
    Vapor Canister Purge Valve
    P0441 still returned.
    Today we changed the Canister Vent Close Valve
    The only thing left in the evap system I haven't changed is the Vapor Charcoal Canister.
    That part is $400 for Genuine Hyundai or $150 for a Dorman aftermarket.

I hate to bring it to the dealer because they will charge an arm and a leg and will probably want to sell me the charcoal canister that I haven't replaced yet. All parts I have put in so far are Hyundai parts including a new gas cap. I know if I go to the dealer they will blame the problem on aftermarket parts so I only got genuine Hyundai parts.

I'll know in a few days if the code will return.

Check Engine came back, same code.

The only thing I haven't changed in the evap system is the charcoal canister which would cost about $360. I'd do it if I knew it would solve this problem but if the CE light comes right back on I'll be seriously PO'd.

Has to be something we are not thinking of. Can the computer be reflashed in this model?

What about the canister purge valve on the engine I have seen them not close up from the seal coming apart

This is a common problem on the 07's. 9 times out of 10, it is the purge control valve on the back of the engine between the T.B. and firewall. I have done a couple and they can be a PITA to get replaced. It is possible that if you replaced that one already, you might have a short in the circuit or possibly got a bad one.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    This is a common problem on the 07's. 9 times out of 10, it is the purge control valve on the back of the engine between the T.B. and firewall. I have done a couple and they can be a PITA to get replaced. It is possible that if you replaced that one already, you might have a short in the circuit or possibly got a bad one.
    I changed it last week with a genuine Hyundai part. What I don't understand is why does the SnapOn scanner say the system is running fine when bypassed and scanned, but the CE comes back when running the car.

I went to a local Hyandai dealer today to ask questions and I was told there has to be a leak and the charcoal canister is the likely source. I just ordered a genuine Hyandai canister off ebay for $300 including shipping. If that don't fix it Im taking it to the dealer.

How quickly does it come back on?

I'd put clamps on every single line and joint alone the route. Id be tempted to pull the vapor can and hose it down with flex seal and let it dry. If that fixes it, replace the part as obviously it's a poor quality repair.

Now that's about as serious as you'll ever see me about helping work on an import.

The rest - don't take it the wrong way anyone as it's my best attempt to make light of a bad situation and is all here solely for your entertainment

offer to sell it and replace it with any foxbody she wants..... as long as its four eyed. (Cuz the gang here is the best but we only work on FLM. FML? No I meant Ford Lincoln Mercury...

Now as a last resort - and I'll only ever offer this help to others on FEP - let's all bring a shovel and help bury it. After we are done... you can pee on it.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    How quickly does it come back on?

I'd put clamps on every single line and joint alone the route. Id be tempted to pull the vapor can and hose it down with flex seal and let it dry. If that fixes it, replace the part as obviously it's a poor quality repair.

Now that's about as serious as you'll ever see me about helping work on an import.

The rest - don't take it the wrong way anyone as it's my best attempt to make light of a bad situation and is all here solely for your entertainment

offer to sell it and replace it with any foxbody she wants..... as long as its four eyed. (Cuz the gang here is the best but we only work on FLM. FML? No I meant Ford Lincoln Mercury...

Now as a last resort - and I'll only ever offer this help to others on FEP - let's all bring a shovel and help bury it. After we are done... you can pee on it.

The CEL always comes back between 1 to 3 days. never a quick return.

The local Hyundai dealer gets $138 for initial evaluation. Of course they include that in the cost of repair if repair is done. I know for a fact that if I bring it to them with aftermarket parts, Standard, Wells etc, they will blame the parts and try to sell me their parts. That's why I got all genuine Hyundai parts on ebay. It irritates me to no end to spend $300 for a plastic canister but I know if I go for a Autozone Wells made for $250 and it doesn't solve the problem then going to the dealer will open a can of worms.

So this is my last go around with this Korean POS. If this doesn't fix it then I will go to the dealer and I will not re buy any new parts I have already replaced. they have to find the leak or whatever else it may be.

Wasn't my choice to buy this thing. Wifey found it and bought it on her own. She likes it so what can I do. The only things bothering me is the EVAP code and a nasty rattling coming from the back door I still cant isolate. It sounds like a beach bucket is rolling around back there but the rear bed is empty and the compartments under the bed are empty too. I think something in the rear hatch is loose inside.

Update on this increasingly madding situation.

Installed the complete charcoal canister today and ran smoke test. Smoke poured out of the Vapor Canister Vent Close Valve while running the smoke test. The valve is now stuck open and wont close even on command from the SnapOn scanner. Pulled the valve and bench tested with voltage and it is capable of opening and closing.

ran test with the valve removed, sending command to close from the scanner and testing for voltage at the pigtail and none was detected.

my mechanic says either a bad wire or bad ECM.

All this headache for a stupid EVAP code. I dred going to Hyundai but what are my options at this point?