Close

Default Strange dash gunk

I've got an 86 GT and I just got it put together. I've been trying to clean things up and I'm stumped on this one. Name:  IMG_3093.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  83.7 KB
    I've tried tough stuff, goo gone, WD40, and even acetone trying to get this stuff to come off. I've successfully gotten a portion off in a spot or two but I was wondering if any of you have run into this and if so how you tackled cleaning it. My cousin has an 86 SVO with a similar problem. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

FEP Super Member

That is the result of sun fade .
    I imagine there isn't a lot you can do to get it off .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Power Member

You might try scuffing it with scotch brite pad. I find it bleeds thru the lighter colors such as Tan. At the very least, cover it with trim primer/adhesion promoter.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Goofoff and a scotch brite will go a long ways. But expect to respray it to achieve the desired color. Be very careful - it's going to be extremely brittle.

It's basically sun damage. You can mess with it and try to clean it up a bit, but it will get progressively worse. Yours looks pretty bad. I recommend cleaning and prepping it as best you can and re-dye to the correct color.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

I saw a video somewhere on "restoring" a very sun faded jeep dash with baking soda and a magic eraser. They just soaked the magic eraser in water, and scrubbed the dash with it and the baking soda. I honestly have no idea if this would work or even do anything to help your dash, but it's worth looking into.