Close

Default Super secret build for my bro n law.

A few months ago I was building myself a 95 gt. Half through the project, I decided I wanted a fox instead. My brother n law wanted my sn95 really bad, but he just started a new job wasn't in a great spot to buy it, so I sold it to my buddy instead. Afterwards, I felt extremely guilty and started looking for him a roller when I found a 86 gt with ttops on one of the local forums. The guy was asking 2200, I told I'd hook up the trailer and head that way with 1600 dollars, and as long as the shock towers and floor pans were in good shape I would take it. It'd be a no hassle, straight to the point deal. He agreed, so I hooked up the trailer and headed that way.

When I got there, I test drove the car and it ran good and shifted nicely (auto.) The shock towers and floor pans were in good shape, the car seemed to be in decent shape, so I gave him the cash and left with the car and title.

I worked out a payment plan with my bro n law, and it was now his baby.

The first nice weekend, we pulled the interior to clean it up and check for any rust problems. The car was solid. The interior cleaned up decent for an 86, but needs a few odds and ends.

Well, like wifes often do, my sister complained a lot about the car. He's kind of wimp, so he really let it get to him. One day he decided he was just going to sell it rather than see it sit. Per our prior agreement, if he ever decided to sell it, I got dibs.

Little did anyone know, my sister actually had other plans. She was secretly hiding back money, and he was going to get his stupid car fixed up.

She pulled me off to the side and asked if I could help her out. She wants me to "buy the car", keep him very involved in the build, and then she's going to give him back the car on father's day, so that gives me about two months to get it done, yikes. She's going to kick a fee bucks my way for labor and pay for all the parts, I've put together a bunch of these cars and love doing it, and it's a good cause, how could I say no?

So I keep sending him pics like what do you think, what color do you like best, should I do this or that, etc.

So I have a pretty good idea of the direction this car is going in. Definitely a budget restromod. She's going to kick me a few bucks here and there for labor and buy all the parts. So here's the direction were heading in.

The motor runs great, but leaks oil from just sitting. The tranny leaks a little from th front pump seal. We're going to pull the motor and replace the seals and gaskets and clean up the engine bay really good. Fresh on everything, but keeping it stock except some bolt ons. We're going to replace the front pump seal and change the tranny fluid and filter. Go through the steering and suspension and replace what's needed. Probably upgrade to the 87+ brakes. Probably steam clean the interior, replace the door panel's (he bought some nice ones), and recover the headliner. Then I'll do the body and prep it for maaco. Also plan to get some drag lites for it.

It's nothing too crazy, but we don't have a lot of time and want to keep it fairly thrifty. This will be a nice weather drive that will sit in the garage when it's raining or snowing.

Should be a cool project. Plan on doing a blog of of sorts on here, so when we're done he can reflect on the changes we've made.

I'll post pictures tomorrow when I pick the car up.
    Last edited by mobileaudio219; 04-09-2017 at 10:48 PM.
    My Previous Stangs:
    86 GT, t-tops, 5 speed.
    87 GT, sunroof, 5 speed.
    88 GT, sunroof, 5 speed.
    89 LX, Sunroof, Roller (project)
    90 Coupe, LX, 2.3, 5 speed.

I'd love to follow along. I bought 2 fox body mustangs off my brother-in-law..an 88gt and 82gt. I'm just now finishing up the 88 and have been buying parts here and there for the 82 (I'm also restoring a pace car and 70 coupe). When I bought the 2 "basket case" foxes from him, he had another 86 coupe roller that he planned on fixing up, until life got in the way. My sister is bossy and doesn't want him to be a "car guy". So it's just sitting behind a barn at his family's house.

He said I could have the car, just so someone can enjoy it. I've been considering taking it home and fixing it up for him. So that's why this thread interests me.

That's cool. If you do, post a build thread.
    My Previous Stangs:
    86 GT, t-tops, 5 speed.
    87 GT, sunroof, 5 speed.
    88 GT, sunroof, 5 speed.

This is a cool story. Will be fun surprise
    1984 Predator GT302 #4S0102 - Complete rotisserie and put back to stock
    1979 Pace Car - 306, H/C/I, T5, 8.8, 3.73 - 288 RWHP
    1993 GT Vert - PROCHARGER P1SC, H/C/I, Built AODE, 3.73 - 421RWHP / 405 RWTQ - SOLD

Great story. I wish my wife would surprise me w a new fox body
    1966 Mustang Coupe-- 1st car at 14yrs old- SOLD
    1965 Mustang Coupe-- 2nd Mustang at 15 - SOLD
    1966 Mustang GT Fastback -- 3rd Mustang- SOLD
    1986 Mustang GT T- Tops -- 4th Mustang- SOLD
    1986 Mustang GT Hardtop (White 86) 5th - SOLD
    1992 Mustang LX Convertible 5.0 6th - SOLD
    1985 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0 7th - SOLD
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 347 8th - SOLD
    1987 Mustang GT Hardtop- SOLD
    1988 Mustang GT T-top-- SOLD

Every time we talked about the car, he would say I want to do this, like you were going to do with your old sn95. I asked him if he like the sn95's better, and he said "yeah, a little bit."

I spoke with me sister telling her I was concern that maybe we should look for a sn95 to build instead.

Well, my bro n law called me yesterday, my sister told him about our plans... and he decided that he would rather have a sn95, so I'm refunding him what he has paid me on it, and will be keeping the 86.

So I guess this thread is over with. I will be starting a new build thread soon.
    My Previous Stangs:
    86 GT, t-tops, 5 speed.
    87 GT, sunroof, 5 speed.
    88 GT, sunroof, 5 speed.