Close

Default Differences in 1987-93 rear frame rails

My rear frame look like they will need to replaced. I searched online and could only find rear frame rails for 1987-93 Mustangs. Is there a significant difference between 1979-86 and 1987-93 rear frame rails? Can the 1987-93 rear frame rails be used on a 1979? Thank you

Two minor differnces. Turret punch includes a hole for the extra passemger side exhaust hanger, and the four shock rear end.

Including the changes mentioned above, there are no other significant differences between the two.

I will mention that the 79-81 cars used a smaller fuel tank than the 82-93 cars. If you have any desire to make the swap then using the full trunk/hatch area from the donor car will make that much easier. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Good to know. It's not like the rear is in a ton different shapes than my front was in. But I have an almost perfect (no idea why if you could see the rest of the car) rear of an 80 to use. I did punch the hole for the exhaust hanger in mine. No big deal. Not using the quad shock

If you are running a manual, great condition quadshocks are important. Wheel hop and clutch chatter are the two major things that kill T5's - they simply don't tolerate it.

Thank you. We are fortunate to have a site with such knowledgeable members.

FEP Member

Use any Foxbody rear frame sections,ditch the factory quad shocks and brackets and invest in a set of 4 aftermarket tubular rear control arms and say goodbye to Wheel hop and hello to much improved rear handling.

Quote Originally Posted by 11secGT View Post
    Use any Foxbody rear frame sections,ditch the factory quad shocks and brackets and invest in a set of 4 aftermarket tubular rear control arms and say goodbye to Wheel hop and hello to much improved rear handling.
    I went with MM LCAs and new OEM UCAs, MM says you need a little give on the uppers arms otherwise they bind
    Car: 1986 Mustang GT Hatchback || 5.0L H.O. || Borg-Warner T5 || 171,000 Miles || 25 mpg

Mods: Bfg G-Force T/A KDW || K&N/silencer removed || Hood pins

Times: faster then a speeding Prius