Close

FEP Member

Default Wiring up my new FAST EZ-EFI.

I'm installing an efi on my 84 gt, it's been awhile since I messed with the wiring. The instructions say " The 12 V switched wire is connected to a source that is hot with the key in the on/run and crank position". Now, in my Haynes repair manual I'm seeing hot-in-run red/lt grn and red/yel. Ignition switch brn/pnk, red/blk. I'm not to wire it through the positive side of the coil, any help would be great. Thanks

I had to add a jumper in at the ignition switch to get power during cranking for my EFI. I don't recall which terminal it was , but it was unused for any other function on my 79. Other wise you might need to use a relay to feed a cranking power source to the efi and use the regular ignition lead for the run power.

As BMW Rider has stated, there will need to be a jumper or splice between the red/lt green and brown/pink as there is no wire that is currently hot in both crank and run. This needs to be done before the red/black resistance wire that way you retain a full 12v to the system. I have not done my system this way yet as I needed to get the car back together in short time, due to a house move coming up, so I am currently running a hidden toggle switch for my trigger.

Here is a link someone shared with me that kind of helped make sense of the wiring needed to make it work off the key.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...l-switched-hot

Also, congrats on the FAST EZ-EFI conversion. If yours works as good as the one I just did on my 84, you are going to LOVE it! It's still in learning on my car so there are a few rough spots to work out of the throttle response, but the more I'm driving it the smoother it is getting.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

FEP Member

Thanks guy's for the info, I also used a 87 efi tank along with the FAST fuel pump harness. Will post when I have it running.

I must say it sounds nice and healthy too 84StangSVT

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    I must say it sounds nice and healthy too 84StangSVT
    I hope so. I need to have someone else drive it (who can drive a manual...not my family) so I can hear it from an outside perspective. All my observations are from inside the drivers seat.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by ford427r View Post
    Thanks guy's for the info, I also used a 87 efi tank along with the FAST fuel pump harness. Will post when I have it running.
    I used an 86+ efi tank, fuel pump, hanger and added a fuel pump relay and inertia switch to emulate a factory setup. So far so good on that end and I can feel good knowing the fuel pump will kick out in the event of a mishap.

Also......

Just a heads up. My experience with FAST tech line is less than stellar. Any useful information can be found here:
    http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/forum...ort-forum.235/

I will say that I have had the MAP sensor die already on me, 100 miles, and that is the one part that everyone on the forum says change right off the bat. It is a common GM part that you can get for a few bucks at the junkyard. A new one is almost $80 at the McParts store.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 04-18-2017 at 09:26 PM.
    Brock

What if they prefer BKParts?

Remember - nobody like Kentucky Fried parts.

FEP Member

84stangsvt, I sent you a pm.

FEP Member

Been done with the new setup, drive's great. No more smelling like a gas station, but I have a problem with the voltage gauge fluctuating. I've replaced the alternator (it was bad) and check all my ground's, still the same. Any idea's?

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    What if they prefer BKParts?

Remember - nobody like Kentucky Fried parts.
    Popeye's Spicy parts are the best!!!!

Ford427R

if you still have the factory gauges, I think the stock one is an ammeter, not a volt gauge. I am not sure if that gauge uses it, but I believe on the back of the cluster is a voltage regulator that cuts down the voltage going to the gauges. It connects like a 9 volt battery.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes