Close

Default 1986 GT Tailpipe Finish

Looking at replacing the LOUD aftermarket exhaust on my '86 GT. Was looking for something that matches how it came out of the factory back in '86. LMR offers a system that includes pre-bend tailpipes and Walker mufflers. The tailpipes are aluminized steel. As I remember, the tailpipes that originally came on the car from the factory were stainless steel. Am I remembering correctly?

Tom

Yes, the factory units are stainless. This is why I chose to keep them. I cut the factory units as close to the back of the factory mufflers as possible and then welded them in place on the new mufflers, x-pipe, etc.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Thanks for confirming that. Right now the pipes on the car are chrome. They're okay, but I prefer the less flashy stainless. Think I'll see if I can find some used ones in good shape, that would clean up nice.

Are not the straight pieces stainless and the pieces that go over the axle to the mufflers coated steel? I though the pieces are joined at the end of the straight piece somewhere.

Just food for thought and to widen/ease your search I'm using 5.0 sn95 exhaust complete it goes in the factory hangers and lines up just right. It's all stainless and maybe easier to find. As long as you don't need the later turned down gt exhaust because of the ground effects

Thanks for the tip. I'll widen my search a bit. Plenty of aftermarket pieces available, but I'd like to just find a nice used set that I can clean up.

86Stripper: I think you're correct. As I remember, the pipes were steel from the muffler, over the axle, and joined the stainless final section somewhere just aft of the axle.

I grab them when ever I find them at the JY..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

LMR also offers the correct size and finish tailpipes (stainless with polished tips) that should mate up to whatever muffler you want to use....assuming OEM style mid-pipes and mufflers will be used. These are perfect replacements for 85-86 GT and 87-93 LX

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-5212PR/86-9...teel-Tailpipes
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I thought the factory tails were 2.25", the link above shows 2.5"?

Ah yes...you are correct. They are indeed a 1/4 bigger. However a 2.5" tailpipe does not look too "obviously" bigger compared to a 3" aftermarket. I thought at one time LMR had them in 2.25" as well?
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

At one time Walker made a perfect replacement.

For a mostly stock car the Dynomax mufflers and tailpipes will sound very near stock while giving a noticeable power improvement.

Definitely looking for the stock sound. Walker Quietflow SS mufflers were recommended to me as being the closest to the original factory sound. So I figured I'd go with those. Think I'll just find a set of used OEM pipes that I can clean up. Not real concerned with 2.25" versus 2.5", as I'm not looking to hot rod the car. In fact, I've been slowly removing all the aftermarket pieces that have been added over the years. Goal is to get it back to what it was in 1986.

I believe walker made dynomax. Walker quietflowSS is one I've had. Not too far off but imo the dynomax 2.25" was closer to stock sounding. It added power compared to stock too reportedly.

A 2.5" pipe will sound VASTLY different than a 2.25 with no other changes - trust me I've had both.

You can open up the stock header flanges and pick up a fair amount of power while looking and sounding stock. You get more tone in the pipe with timing advance than you will ever get with this mod - FYI.

These days I run BBK 1 5/8" equal shorties with 2.5" exit, MAC X-pipe with cats, 2.5" 2 chamber series 40 flow masters, full length 2.5" tailpipes. Just putting in a 2.25" restrictor at the rear actually makes all that sound 95% factory. Total sleeper. Pull the neck down out in the rear and it's a completely different sound. Mostly foreign car due to the X. Just plain bad-ass at the rev limiter.

Right Dynomax is Walker. I had that on my GT350 because I wanted an OEM fit and finish and sound and it was perfect. That was years ago so they may have changed but the one I bought had the brushed stainless tailpipe ENDS on them. The pipe going over the axle was aluminized just like mentioned above. Are you certain they don't have that any longer? It may well be. Like I said, it was years ago when I had mine. the sound is indeed OEM level and I like the 2 1/4 exhaust. That was one of the better quality aftermarket items I have ever purchased.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Those pipes appear correct.

Some of the dynomax mufflers were shorter than OE. I remember needing to add in an extension to get everything to fit. Without it the tails sat forward in the hangers and hit the rear axle.

But in 2 1/4" the sound was unmistakeable foxbody OE 5.0L Mustang.

Thanks for all the input. I ended up picking up a nice set of used original pipes from Ebay. Guy I bought them from did a very nice job of polishing up the stainless. Ordered the Walker Quietflow SS mufflers and should have them tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have my original exhaust system all hooked up on Monday. Looking forward to it.

Sub-frame connectors are next. Have an appointement to get them welded in on Tuesday. This '86 GT project is really coming along

Walkers will be OK.

Got everything installed on the '86 GT. Couldn't be happier with the Walker Quietflow SS mufflers. They sound great (mellow factory original rumble) and were an exact fit. In fact, they mimic the factory original mufflers as they come in LH and RH model numbers, since the passenger side muffler was smaller from the factory. Also, they have the correct heat shielding and bracketing for the factory hangers. My Ebay bought pipes mounted right up. Ordered new hangers for the mufflers, and rubber isolators from NPD. Ended up being an easy install, and now I have a factory correct exhaust system !!!!

Thanks for all the help guys

Nice! Post some pics.