Close

Default OK to lengthen O2 sensors harness with normal copper wire?

May sound like a stupid question, but ....OK to lengthen O2 sensors wiring harness with normal copper wire? I have read on the interweb that some O2 wiring is special (stainless, aluminum, special insulators...etc) and that lengthening or soldering is not advisable or doable and will screw with O2 sensor readings. Do we have special wire? Any reason i should be concerned on adding a foot or 2? Obviously i will use good(real) copper wire of the correct size and solder/insulate appropriately . I know they make extensions and longer kits but pretty easy job unless there is something i am missing. thanks
    * Tony * Bartlesville, OK

2015 SS PBM (auto/roof/spare)
    2011 Silverado Crew Red (12" lift)
    1997 WS6 Trans Am M6 Red
    1993 Porsche 928 GTS Auto Black
    1987 Mustang GT Red (T-tops, Saleen clone)
    1986 Saleen Mustang #63 M5 Red
    1976 AMC Gremlin (under construction)
    1967 Lincoln Continental (suicide doors, tore down)

The O2 sensor lead is a shielded wire. The sensor produces a very small voltage so the shielding is used to ensure no stray voltage signals in the wire. It can be spliced if done correctly, but it is not just a straight forward cut and splice job.

You can buy o2 sensors in differing lengths and even extensions.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Chiming in late here... Most earlier O2 sensors 'breathe' through the sensor wire, which is one of the
    reasons why I've never liked the universal ones that came with the butt-splice connector. (That, and
    it's pretty easy to lose part of the 0.8V sensor signal through a poor quality crimp.)
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune