Close

Default Steering column conundrum: What steering column to use in 78 Fairmont?

Hello everyone, I've got a 78 Fairmont

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...oject-Ugly-Box

and I need some info/help on what steering column to choose. I am going the manual brake route, and I bought the MM kit to convert to manual brakes. It comes with a new pedal and brake sensor switch among other things. The little bracket to attach the brake light sensor doesn't quite line up, and also the pedal arm, which is much thicker than the stock pedal arm, rubs on the bearing support (I'm not sure if it is called that, but its a bigger diameter of the steering column right after the 2 rear bolts) of the steering column. Both of these issues aren't that big of a deal, I can grind a bit off the pedal arm to get clearance and modify the brake sensor bracket to make it work.

I know the early Fox's like mine have a few quirks, so I'm wondering if I should try and get a Mustang steering column and if that would solve all the problems that I have. Those problems are the above fitment issues, the ancillary components like wipers and turn signals, and the steering wheel. My column has the horn on the turn signal stalk, non intermittent wipers, the splined steering wheel attachment, and it was an automatic.

In the end I want to have intermittent wipers, and steering wheel mounted horn. It seems like I should look for a column from a later Mustang, like an 89. That has the turn signals, brights, and wipers in one switch (I'm rewiring the car completely so different switches and wiring is not an issue). Plus It makes steering wheel selection easier.

I know other people have swapped newer columns into older cars without issues, but some of the details aren't mentioned. Basically, are there any pitfalls to installing a later year steering column in the Fairmont such as the plastic trim? I can't tell if the trim around the column will play nice with the older dash. And the connection to the steering shaft is the same correct?

The voice of recent experience says, "Multi-color Mustang taillight columns will only work in your Fairmont with a lot of unreliable electronic trickery."

Get a Capri column. Get the plugs with it, as they likely won't be the same as those in the Fairmont harness. AND, intermittent wiper has a separate control box (with an extra harness [column-to-box & box-to-wiper]) that you'll need also (I don't think you'll get the wipers to work without it).

Capri is four-eye, so it all fits fine (it'll probably be tilt) with the dash. I had no problem connecting the '84 Capri column to the '90 Mustang rack in my '78 Fairmont.

Lots of good wheel selection with the later column. I've got a pristine '86 GT wheel which goes well with the Mustang (SVO) gauge set in the dash.

Mike

Capri columns are probably harder to find, but aren't they the same? And if I am correct, the multifunction switch out of a newer Mustang should control the wipers without needing the magical box. I plan on talking to Ron Francis Wiring and having a sorta custom harness made for whatever plugs I will have, or at least that is my plan. I see you have an 89 Mustang column in your Fairmont, however the trim for the 89 column doesn't seem to mesh well with the older dash. There probably won't be a perfect solution, but hopefully people can point me to the best direction.

The issue is the brake & turn signal combo. Separate turn & brake lights with the Mustang, combined with the Capri & Fairmont. I started with an '89 column and went thru a number of trailer light boxes and was totally dissatisfied with the whole mess. It doesn't fit the dash either. Hence the Capri column.

Don't assume that different year columns (multi-function switches) used the same plugs, or, if using the same plugs, that they're wired the same.

Mike

One of the mechanics at my old work did a bunch of work on the side. One thing he did was rebuild steering columns. Whenever someone wanted one for a hotrod, he would go get a mustang steering colum and switch out all the junk on it to work properly.

That being said, he helped me swap stuff off a mustang colum and put it in my 87 tbird. Once the colum was stripped down, everything swapped right over. I have swapped a few, my first car didn't have intermittent wipers and I couldn't find another one that did. I rewired it so that it worked, but I left the lever hanging by the wires (I was 16 and never worked on cars before).

Overall, all the round columns should pretty much be the same basic platform. Just gotta attach all the other stuff to it. If you aren't afraid of wiring, I don't see why not to.

Also, flash of genius is on Netflix. It's based on the inventor of the "blinking eye", what he called the intermittent wiper system. He developed it and sold it to Ford, then they copied it. He eventually sued them and that's what the story is based on.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

That is kinda what I was thinking as well. Since I'm rewiring the whole car completely, it shouldn't matter what "system" Mustang or Fairmont I choose. So if I get a Mustang column with the Mustang multifunction switch and get a wiring harness for a Mustang then I should be fine. The single multifunction switch is bigger than the separate old switches and it doesn't look like it'll fit under the old trim. But the hassle of dealing with that might be worth it if the Mustang column solves the fitment issues with the MM brake kit, and has all the modern ancillaries like I want.

I'll have to check out flash of genius, I find things like that interesting.