Close

Default 1986 Mustang GT finally dyno'd

Honestly not what I expected but I'm betting it never is! Sure was hoping to break 300 but it's not far off. Picking it back up this weekend and I'm excited to drive it now that it should run well.
    Name:  IMG_3088.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  80.1 KB
    Last edited by Oberu; 04-05-2017 at 09:34 PM. Reason: I'm a dimwhit

What's the build?
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

So far the block has been honed up, forged 10:1 pistons, polished crank, balanced, and hardened bits. Bigger oil pan, completely updated cooling system, E303 cam, Edelbrock RPM heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 70mm throttle body, and MAF conversion, an MSD distributor, an A9L ECU, new T5 with the 2:95, new fuel plumbing, 24lb injectors, 155 lpm fuel pump, subframe connectors, and a rebuilt rear with 3:27 gears.

Congrats! I'm following you with interest since I'm hoping to have my SEFI engine tuned at some point. Although, i hope i don't have to pay a cool G and lose a whole month with it in the process!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

This V

Quote Originally Posted by danco86 View Post
    I wouldn't mess too much with it until you get your tune. I will tell you of my personal experience with my build.
    86 GT, rebuilt stock bottom end, balanced, AFR heads, 1.6's, rollerrockers, cobra upper & lower, 24# injectors, A9L MAF conversion with pro-m 65mm, accufab 70mm TB, stock cam custom ground, 190 lph pump, u/d pullies,BBK shorties etc.
    I ran the car for about 1000 miles without a tune, & with the stock MAF and 19# injectors.
    The car ran incredibly rich, stalled on deceleration, and on startup. I messed with everything to get it to run right. Base idle, vacuum, iac, the whole checklist. What it comes down to, is the A9L couldn't handle the changes. A lot of guys seem to get away with it, but not me. I finally booked it in for a dyno tune. The shop was amazed when they did their pee dyno inspection and found no issues from my installations, to fix beforehand. However, in the short time I had driven the car, the A/F ratio was so far out, that I had low compression on one cylinder just due to my valves being so carboned up that on wasn't closing all the way. So, the tuner changed the calibration on the MAF to our geographical area, and burnt a chip for my A9L after a few dyno runs. Now my car has run absolutely flawlessly. So, my advice is to make sure you have no vacuum leaks and that everything is installed correctly so you can get straight onto the dyno, and get your tune done. It'll be so worth it!

A couple side q's: Did you do the MAF conversion yourself? If so, did you add the extra wires for the vss and fuel pump circuit to the ecu?
    & are you running the stock alternator?

Finally, your car looks super sweet! I put down 290 rwhp with my build, so I'm sure you will get the extra hp to make your numbers with your cam.

I use the 1.264 correction factor if the normal SAE net altitude and air temp corection is uses.

I get net installed figures of
    370 hp at 5340 rpm
    410 lb-ft at 4500 rpm

306.14 cubic inches, 1.34 lb-ft per cube is excellent, and what a well matched engine can slug out. The stock EECIV MAF computer can be configured to ensure none of the mid range is strangled by the torque reduction algotihim by spark timing reduction.

Enjoy the rest of the tune up. All eeek Fours are cool, and well set up A9L's are sensationally good systems.

That's kinda the ballpark I figured you'd be in, although I wasn't sure on the lift/duration specs of your e303.
    That's actually quite an increase if you consider that stock, the '86 was a meager 165 rwhp - 200 crank hp.
    You live in Washington I think I read? What city did you take it to for the tune?
    Dan

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-GT-restomod

1986 Mustang GT Cobra
    Lotsa stuff, lotsa work. Check my thread above.

Daily drivers
    2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke crew 4X4
    2012 F-150 Ecoboost Screw FX4

I live in Everett and I got the car tuned in Vancouver.

86 was measured at the wheels.

Scrap that E303. With a better cam and a proper tune there is way more power to be had. Plenty of builds with stock 5.0L HO cam and decent heads and induction and 1.7:1 rockers and big injectors the right way go north of 400 at the crank. On better fuel with aggressive tunes at the wheels.
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-09-2017 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberu View Post
    I live in Everett and I got the car tuned in Vancouver.
    Vancouver, Washington I assume?
    Dan

1986 Mustang GT Cobra

Daily drivers

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    86 was measured at the wheels.
    No disrespect to you whatsoever, but we will have to agree to disagree on where the hp measurements come from.
    Dan

1986 Mustang GT Cobra

Daily drivers

Yea - mis-spoke. I was thinking gross vs net. SAE is basically net or bhp which is always more than rwhp. How much less at the tire depends upon transmission efficiency and rear diff efficiency.

for convince net is at times taken from the output shaft of the transmission on a manual car while in 4th which effectively ties together input and output shafts devoid of any gears.

8.8's are pretty efficient as are T5's. AODs eat more power than a T5.
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-10-2017 at 05:13 AM.

I drove the car home from Vancouver,WA. I'm not honestly sure the numbers I'm seeing are correct. The car is a beast and will shred those tires without any clutch foolery. I'm happy with it! I can't imagine wanting more power for a street car. Happy!

Congratulations on a happy built! Yea - that's plenty power for a street car. If it's geared correctly I'm certain it's a monster.

Heck I'm still running a stock long block with an upgraded intake tract and open exhaust and even it is honestly plenty salty.

Be sure to put on some equally 'bad-ass' brakes, a well setup chassis complete with panhard, and some great tires will help keep you safe.

Man with a ecam and Edelbrock heads those are great #'s, you can't expect anything more. Going from a stockish car to that would be a lot of fun and deceiving. I've worked myself around in a circle, 306, to 347, to 393, now I'm building a stock bottom 302. You're right , around 300 rwhp is about perfect for a 3000lb street car. You should have some fun.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

Very nice dyno numbers, congrats & enjoy!

It is plenty, especially of you're just streeting it. I can bust loose in the first 2, and chirp 3rd. I would like to have a bit more betwwen 2k and 3k rpm just to have it get up a little better when I tromp on it in that range. But really, I don't need anymore on the top end, as I rarely take it near what its capable as it is.
    If you everneed a dyno or tune again, pm me. There is a shop across the line in Vancouver BC that does mostly foxes. The guy who owns it is nothing short of phenomenal. I've never met anyone who knows these cars like him. Even at a thousand bucks, youd've saved with the exchange. Nonetheless, glad you got it dialed in!
    Dan

1986 Mustang GT Cobra

Daily drivers

So did you get a chip?

Yes Sir the ECU has a chip hanging out of the side now which made it impossible for me to mount in the factory manner. So far it runs great! It still doesn't like cold starts but I'm suspecting it's the IAC perhaps and I'll swap that out soon.

Good numbers, I got 315hp out of my 86 a few years back but I was using bigger parts..
    86 coupe
    1993 GT
    My 10 Sec street cars

Everyone's dyno spits out a different number. What's it do at the strip?

Cale

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    Everyone's dyno spits out a different number. What's it do at the strip?

Cale
    My car went 7.80s @ 89mph in the 1/8 on bf drag radials.
    86 coupe
    1993 GT
    My 10 Sec street cars

I want to find out. I know I'll need some stickier tires or I'll never leave the line

Nice times! Yeah Oberu, it's a good time! I'd take the car on street tires it's first time.

Cale

I had an old Skylark hotrod and it ran 13's. I know this car would pack the lark up in a pipe.

Back in their heyday the foxbody mustangs routinely aggravated the crap out of muscle car era car owners. Heck - many aggravate the crap out of the new generation in their current state.