Close

Thread: 2,3 egr removal

New User

Question 2,3 egr removal

Hello, om planning of removing the emission controls on a 1980 2,3 NA. Can someone Tell me what i need to fix and witch vacuüm lines i need to reroute? Does someone maybe have a vacuüm diagram for the engine? I think my carb is a holley 5200 (the motorcraft equivalent)
    Hope someone van help me

The most reliable way is to pull off the EGR and put a metal plate in its place then remove and plug off all vacuum lines at their source.

This being said, might I ask why?

A properly functioning EGR system only operates at part throttle. By introducing exhaust gas back into the motor it reduces the fuel requirement and reduces emissions.

Ive removed them before but I can't say it actually improved anything.

The practice goes back to the same era where guys would remove the vacuum advance and increase base timing. They thought they got more power because right on the initial hit the motor was more responsive. What they didn't notice is the loss in torque and RPM after the first 1/4 second of operation.

Ultimately each of these mods usually accomplish very little - often it's a step backwards.

Also if you ever sell your car to a someone in a state that inspects, they are going to put a bounty on your head by the time they are done fixing it. Your car - up to you - but I wouldn't remove it.

New User

The EGR doesnt function any more, the parts are rare in Belgium where i live so i need to wait for 1-2 months to get delivered. Where i live i cant just go to the auto store and get the stuff i need, so less things that can break down is a + here.

Make sure the large steel line that goes from the bottom of the carb to the exhaust manifold isn't obstruated. Clean up the valve as well and the plate under the carburetor.
    I took some time to clean everything on my '79 notch (Belgium model as well) and it appears to be working fine now. It was completely filled with gunk.

As for ordering parts, Rockauto has most of them. I'm from the north of France near West Vlaanderen and the parts arrive here in a few days.

By the way, do you have a header or an iron exhaust manifold on your car ?
    Both of my belgian 2.3L export models have a header, but I have yet to see another one with these.

New User

the 2 2.3 engines i have laying around have iron manifolds.