Close

Threaded View

Default 1986 Mercury Capri Project

A couple of months ago, I finally got myself back into a 4 eye car. I've had a handful of fox cars before, but most were converted to the aero front end (before I bought them.) This is the first Fox I have gotten since moving to Arizona a few years back. I was looking to get back into it when I found this on Craigslist. It was in my price range, so I went to check it out. It was pretty much exactly what I was looking for so I scooped it up.

Name:  Capri 1.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  42.1 KB

The car is pretty straight and its completely rust free. Its yellow, but its quite sun faded. Some people like yellow, some don't. I like yellow. While the car is very straight, it was very very dirty. Anyone who has lived in Arizona can attest to how dusty it gets around here. Well, this guy left the windows down on the car for who knows how long. Inside of the car was covered in dust. The interior is mostly complete, it was just taken apart and left in the hatch area. There are some parts that are good, and some parts that are not so good. As it seems is the case with most these days, the dash pad is completely shot.

Name:  Capri 2.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  46.9 KB

The grille is missing in this picture, but it was in the back of the car. The hood release cable was snapped, so the previous owner installed hood pins. The grille was removed because the latch was still in place and it made it easier to open the hood.

Name:  Capri 3.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  Capri 4.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  45.4 KB

It is kind of hard to see in these pictures, but the exhaust dumped out the side straight from the mid-pipe. No mufflers, just straight out the side. Held up by coat hangars.

Name:  Capri 5.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  51.5 KB

Then there is whatever the hell is going on back here. Someone decided to take off the bubble hatch, rear bumper, and rear taillights for the Capri and replace them with later Mustang GT stuff. I have no idea why someone would do this, but they did. The bumper for the GT doesn't match up with the Capri body lines at all, so it just kind of hangs there. This was by far the worst part of the car, which meant that it was going to be the first thing on the car that was changed out.
    Last edited by jgloyer; 04-03-2017 at 11:40 PM.
    1986 Capri 5.0L 5-Speed