Close

Default Alrighty, got another one for you guys

I posted my first dilemma on here and was promptly given the info I need. Very cool I appreciate it immensely. Now I'm onto the next one. This one may be a little harder due to not having the car in front of you, and again I'm to savvy with the old school tech but here it is

Okay, so I only have time stamped video of this car ever running. Story is previous owner pulled the coil for another project. So, I bought a new coil wired it up and...
    Nothing. Literally nothing. At first I'd get a little arcing off the coil positive wire but that's it. I wire up my battery and the car isn't getting power, no lights,brake lights, door buzzer ( if there is one) etc. With that being said, it obviously doesn't turn over either.

My ground isn't exactly shiny metal it's black
    I jiggled it a bit to see if something would change. I cleaned up my positive wire on the battery connection (cut stripped etc). My battery positive has 3 wires coming out of it one of which goes directly into the starter solenoid and the other 2 seem to go into the harness. The negative grounds out on the front of the block.
    Thanks all !! BTW it's a 1982 merc 351w swap. Believed to be a RS turbo originally

Double check voltage in battery and quality of ground and positive lead connections.

Sounds like cooked fusible link(s).

Check them for continuity. Then start tracing from where you know there is power from there.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Double check voltage in battery and quality of ground and positive lead connections.

Sounds like cooked fusible link(s).

Check them for continuity. Then start tracing from where you know there is power from there.
    X2...continuity tester is your friend here, especially where you have nothing getting electrical power in the whole car. Test both ends of a circuit that should be working, especially those with fuses in them, to see if power gets through. If it doesn't, that's your culprit. It's bound to be one of the main hookups, or SOMETHING would work. I bet when you find the problem it's going to be an easy fix!

indeed ^
    I assumed pretty much the same when there was no power at all going through the car.Thanks guys

To help you trouble shoot, the wiring diagrams are available in the electrical forum.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4