Close

Question Wheel Selection for a 5 Lug 85 5L LX Notch

I've got a restoration going on with my old 85 5L. I would love to have some new 17" five lug ten holes but those are not made by anyone near as I can tell. And I don't want to use 15" tires.

So what I am looking for are pictures of Foxes with various wheels to help my wheel selection process. Does such a thread exist? Or wheel selector website for foxes? Tire Rack does have a wheel selector application but doesn't go back to 1985 for pictures of cars in the application.

Wheel choice is very subjective. For pure restoration, the original 10-holes always look good to me, but I understand your desire for more tire choices. If you are going for a factory-style look, it's hard to go wrong with 16" factory Ponys, or even the aftermarket 17" Ponys. Also, I've never seen any Fox Mustang look bad with 93 Cobra replicas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

I'm a big fan of 10 holes myself. I went with SVO wheels for my car because they have a nice, classy similarly subdued look. I considered more recent Crown Vic and Town Car wheels too. Maybe one of those styles would work for you.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Since you're going 5 lug, this obviously isn't a pure resto. Have a look through some 80s magazines for some "day 2" ideas. BBS meshies look awesome on these cars and can be had in any diameter you want. Weld Draglites and Prostars were also popular back in the day and are now available in 17". If you want to use a Ford wheel, some '94-'95 tri-bars done up as '93 Cobra R replicas would be sweet.
    Currently Foxless

Thing about the cobra R replica look, 10 years ago when I made my plans to create a set, nobody made them. Nobody had them. It's like it had never occurred to anyone to do a set of these.

Fastforward to today and now they are readily available. Of course they are - because now I have two full sets still waiting to be converted. Darn the luck.

Sorry, I missed the 5-lug requirement. I'll try to make up for that with some better research and pics. In general, I think a lot of the later model 5-lug wheels look too complicated on Fox vehicles, but there are some exceptions.

I agree with comments above that mesh or Cobra R wheels look great on a Fox.

Apparently there were a few 93 Cobra replica wheels made in 5 lug.

Check out this article showing nasty 5-lug 17" Pony R's with 315 Nittos. It appears to be available in chrome or silver.

2004 anniversary wheels look good on Foxes.

Of course you could do Bullitts, if you like that look. Whatever you do, just make sure that we're not looking at those rear drum brakes through big, open wheels.
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

I think the 17" Pony Rs look damn good.

For OEM wheels, the '95 Cobra Rs are classics, but the 17x9" is a little harder to fit up front on older Foxes. The '98 and '99 Cobra wheels also look fantastic on Foxes, and are 17x8", so a bit easier to work with.

You guys are good - Cobra Rs do look good and bonus we have twelve of these (repros and knock offs, they look good at least) some of which I use when instructing. I just didn't really think to fit them because they're stacked up in tire storage. I like the look:

And the BBS wheels look good too.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 04-04-2017 at 10:13 AM.

I like the Ford Cobra 5 spoke wheels.
    However, the 5-lug conversion that was done will effect the wheel fitment.

Fwiw, more pictures and setup info:
    http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...Mach1_springs/

Although they are not quite the same as the Original Style Magnum 500's I had on my 70 Mach 1 many moons ago, I'm kinda partial to these.....

Name:  _DSC4589.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  181.0 KB
    '70 Mach I, Sold and Regret Every Second of it!!!
    '78 King Cobra, Sold
    '84-1/2 GT350 Vert. (My Latest Toy)

The wheels I was talking about are structurally identical to the 1994-1995 17" 'tri-bar' rims except how they are finished.

To convert these cheap and super lightweight rims over to look like 1993 Cobra R, strip with easyoff oven cleaner, power washed, tape off the machined lip, refinish everything else, clearcoat all. Good luck getting the chrome caps without overpaying. I found generic chrome caps and stickon pony badges were VASTLY cheaper than the real R/ "chrome pony wheel" only caps.

I consider an all black four eyed that's dropped for stance rolling on these rims totally awesome. That's what I've been planning for mine for nearly 20 years. It's a look that's timeless. Basically because noone who has these rims ever takes them off.

I won't comment a lot on the aero ground effects but being a four eyed lover it's likely obvious that I hate them. To me the SVO style spats are far cooler. I'm not a big fan of the side profile of the bottom part of the 85-86 bumper so TBD what I end up doing there. Sufficient to say mine will have a chin spoiler, 1993 cobra wing, and 1993 Cobrarear bumper.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-07-2017 at 09:20 AM.

17x9 FR500's on all 4 on my 86. 275 rear, 245 fronts.

Name:  IMG_6647.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  131.4 KBName:  IMG_3313.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  119.2 KB

My 83 notch came with tribars on it:

Name:  RJCF4447.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  178.4 KB

I personally think they are better suited to the Aero-nose cars so they will be going on my '92 soon. I don't think you can go wrong with a set of BBS or Saleen style mesh wheels on a 4eye.