Close

Default Convertible Top Lift cylinders -

I have a factory cylinder that is leaking at the case seal at the top. I just made the mistake of buying a set used from the last place I will ever order a part from again.....of course they were junk. I wanted an OEM cylinder so I could replace the one side and not have to worry out replacing the pair to match with after market cylinders. So for those who have replaced their cylinders, with aftermarket cylinders, any brand/supplier recommendations?. Also how many years have you had them installed, any issues.?. Last did the new aftermarket cylinders, eliminate the issue with the top header dropping/slamming onto the header when closing. (an issue that seemed to be there from new on all cars that I have seen....)

thanks!
    Last edited by G88; 04-03-2017 at 05:31 AM.

Default Convertible Top Lift cylinders -

I purchased mine from LMR for the past 85 convertible I had. Very easy install. I still talk to the guy I sold the car to and they are working fine.

I replaced everything just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No matter where you get from you should replace both so both cylinders are working equal and don't twist the top frame. One new one and one old used one may operate differently I.E. one slower and one faster.

thanks, agree replace new in pairs... Anyone know if the new cylinders help with softening the landing of the top header onto the windshield header. I suspect the weight is main issue and timing of the top to its closed position in reference to it location above the header is the other issue. Tired of reaching up and guiding it down, no big deal, but forget to do this and it slams the windshield. I would like to know if new cylinders would correct this.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by G88 View Post
    thanks, agree replace new in pairs... Anyone know if the new cylinders help with softening the landing of the top header onto the windshield header. I suspect the weight is main issue and timing of the top to its closed position in reference to it location above the header is the other issue. Tired of reaching up and guiding it down, no big deal, but forget to do this and it slams the windshield. I would like to know if new cylinders would correct this.

thanks
    It will still "fall" into position due to weight. I just reach up and grab before it hits the windshield header. Also you might want to change out the hydraulic lines as well.
    Last edited by webestang; 04-03-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

FEP Power Member

CJ had them on sale recently at $72 each I think, I bought a set along with a quart of Royal Purple synthetic ATF and a new rubber plug. My lines are good , so worries there.

Huge difference, much quieter, faster, and no more leaks. Stay away from used ones.

Original Member of 'The Anti-Cowl Hood Club' and 'The Ten-Hole Mafia'.

The top should be adjusted correctly when installed in a tight scenario to soften the lowering of the top to the windshield header.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    The top should be adjusted correctly when installed in a tight scenario to soften the lowering of the top to the windshield header.
    That was also my assumption. As the top ages, would think it will relax some over time. And yes how it was set at install might effect it, agree. as I suspect cylinders are not going to take up/support that weight. I looked at a vintage 87 Mustang convert. road test and that top dropped on the windshield header, as most do today. Just something I always did not like about these, and thought maybe a refresh of the cylinders would help. thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by G88; 04-04-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    That's true, after I replaced my top it did lower a little softer.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by G88 View Post
    That was also my assumption. As the top ages, would think it will relax some over time. And yes how it was set at install might effect it, agree. as I suspect cylinders are not going to take up/support that weight. I looked at a vintage 87 Mustang convert. road test and that top dropped on the windshield header, as most do today. Just something I always did not like about these, and thought maybe a refresh of the cylinders would help. thanks for the feedback.
    The "relaxing" or stretching of the top should be considered when installed. When I first had mine done 5-6 years ago...by a guy that has done many over the years...it was tight such that it would pop up a little when the windshield locks were released. I questioned him and he said to set it out in the sun and it would stretch a little over time. He was correct...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

New cylinders are in. No difference in cycle time/noise or in operation, which is good. Got the ones npd sells. Seem to be very well made, no fitment issues.
    Last edited by G88; 04-14-2017 at 02:59 PM.