Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Question

Folks, I just realized I'm still missing a couple of trim pieces to complete the Fox. I'm missing the left and right lower rear trim plastic pieces, I've highlighted this area if the attached photo. I'm also missing the lower dash fuse box cover. Pieces would be for a 1985 coupe. Color doesn't matter as I'll paint them to match the existing trim.

If you've got this stuff I'm happy to pay and cover shipping. Shoot me a PM. Thanks!

missing.JPG

Got parts on the way, thanks guys!!

Things are getting real fast. Jeff G and I are learning a lot of upholstery work and it turns out it isn't too hard. It's tedious, but it isn't difficult. Definitely my least favorite part of restoring a car but it sure beats the hell out of dropping off your stuff at a shop, waiting two months, and coming back to find out it isn't exactly what you wanted. Too many pitfalls in that so to avoid that DIY.

Taking apart the nasty rear seat bottom. The foam was in good shape but I cut thin shims of foam to bring up one side of the cushion. I don't know where the pictures of that went though.

After tearing it all apart the new cover goes on. We put a long piece of wire in the outside sleeve pocket here and secured the cover with hog rings and a lot of profanity. Lots of pushing, pulling, and messing around with it. The end result was good though.

And we did the same to the seat back cushion but again I don't seem to have pictures of the process. Here is was the same, except I bought an air stapler to help with securing the fabric to the backing board. Hog rings were not used in this application so I have a new tool, yay. In it goes and it looks sweet. Better than it ever looked in the 80s.

And now on to the fronts. We have covers and new foam from TMI that work with certain Fox seat pans. We have three sets of Fox seats, 85 SVO, 85 LX, and some 89ish GT seats. Of course, we picked the wrong seats to disassemble first.

As we suspected we needed the SVO seats so we starting cutting those up. Not a fun job but we got all the parts we need to start.

Everything works in the old SVO seats, even the cool hand pump up lumbar bladders and the manual bolster adjustment. I'm going to blast all the metal bits, paint, and we'll be ready for reassembly this weekend.

Yea, there is a learning curve with these seats for sure. Get it right and you can tear apart and recondition some pretty nasty looking pieces of poo and end up with something presentable. Get it wrong and you have a useless pile of parts. Lol

My dad and I saved black leather seats out of two different 1992 Mustangs and after reconditioning put the combined result into my son’s 1986 convertible. With a weekend worth of time, a lot of contact adhesive, 3 old leather wallets, black leather dye, sand paper, and spray leather finish enamel we managed to pull off a save with better than expected results. They still look good 18 months later which is the true test.

Man, this thing is perplexing.

Sydney and I took it out for the first drive. All went well for a mile or two, then the ECU reset issue came back in full force. Crazy. Removed the stock air cleaner, runs great.

Don't know what's going on. Car runs beautifully with a tiny round air cleaner or no air cleaner, but, with the stock big one on there is somehow some arcing to it that results in the ECU getting reset. It's nutz. And it doesn't matter if an element is in the stock air cleaner housing, ie, it isn't air flow related.

Plan:

*Investigation of engine running in the dark
    *New plug wires
    *Shorter dizzy to get it off and away from air cleaner/AC lines

Car project work was interrupted with some heavy duty work travel. The issue with the Fox running well has been identified - basically the Sniper cannot wear a metal air cleaner that comes anywhere close to the distributor. The issue is further compounded by the fact my dizzy is 1.25" taller than a stock dizzy, and, the stock Ford air cleaner is very large. In combination these two items clearly short out the ECU causing it completely reset while running making the car extremely difficult to drive. So, I have ordered a shorter dizzy and will use a plastic K&N air cleaner for the time being. Ultimately though I want the stock air cleaner on the car and will sort this out.

Otherwise the car is being driven and the ECU is learning. I took it out for an hour late Sunday afternoon and ran errands. Multiple starts and stops, no problems. The engine is running well, stays cool, AC works, all is good. I'll need to adjust the throttle return dampening again to assist with maintaining idle be the previous adjustments I did helped. Once it has some more time on it I'll get it on a dyno for proper tuning.

great results!

That's looking sharp.

FEP Supporter

Looks great Ron! You guys did a masterful job!

Has Sydney had a chance behind the wheel yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Looks great!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Just read this whole thread! Amazing work... inspiring. Thanks for taking the time to track and detail the journey!

You should be able to put a gasket on the throttle body flange to help isolate. Then a nylon washer under the nut on the air cleaner. That should make it so the air cleaner is no longer a ground. Just a thought!

love the progress on this car!

My daughter is driving her Cougar now. I put in a radio with Bluetooth and navigation, etc.

I just went thru this thread again. SO much good stuff. Car wise and kid wise.

I'd love to see a little more detail on your weight jacker DIY process. And some updates on how the car is a year later.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Holy Double Post Batman!
    Last edited by droopie85gt; 06-23-2019 at 09:29 AM.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

wow what a build! how did I miss this....... great work so far
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

I just read this entire thread again! Its great inspiration and advice throughout. I’m interested to see how the SVO seats turned out. I picked up a set for my 85 and am planning to use TMI covers and foam as well. Great work!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234