Close

Default Rear hatch glass WO defrost? Are these rare?

Looking for Rear hatch glass without defrost. Are these rare? I can find them new on NPD but they are pricey at $380+ship. Just wondering where to find one or if i should just bite the bullet and buy new. thanks

I have never done this so don't take it as ADVICE per se but if the ones with defrost are cheap and available, can you not just razor blade off the defrost stuff? It's still just a piece of glass I would think. I would GUESS (GUESS, not KNOW) that it's the same exact piece of glass and they stick that defrost on it? Maybe not. I know for sure the lines can be scraped off because I have done that. But I never really compared the two. Good Luck with your search!
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

I wanted to get a clear rear glass for my coupe and had no luck up here as it seems all the Canadian cars had defrosters. Shipping one up from the US would be too costly so I looked into just removing the grid from the one I have. The electrical conductor material can be scraped off, but the visible grid will remain as it is baked in during the tempering process.

My solution will be to go with tinted Lexan rear windows which will be lighter as well. Not suitable however for a car that must pass safety inspections as they don't carry the AS-1 markings.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    I wanted to get a clear rear glass for my coupe and had no luck up here as it seems all the Canadian cars had defrosters. Shipping one up from the US would be too costly so I looked into just removing the grid from the one I have. The electrical conductor material can be scraped off, but the visible grid will remain as it is baked in during the tempering process.
    Thanks! I love this site. Learn new stuff every single day. There is pretty much always someone who knows the answer.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

yeah i knew about, or thought about razoring off but assumed even if you removed the lines there still would be at least ghosting where they were.

8. No selling outside of the Classified areas. If you've something to offer to someone for free, or the cost of shipping, it's 'legal' to offer in the other areas. If you're dying to let someone know you have something they may want to purchase, then send them a Private Message OR an email via the board. Do NOT post an offer in a non-classified thread. Posts will be edited or removed by staff without warning.
    If anyone has a windshield to offer in this thread, it should be free (or for the cost of shipping) and you should state that it's free. If it's not free then do not post that you have a windshield and/or to PM you.

Anyone's reply to this thread that they have a windshield will be removed if it does not also say that it is free.

This is a tech thread. It is not a classified ad.

Thank you for following the rules of this site.

I have a car I purchased in Louisiana that has no rear defrost and my race car that I purchased in Ohio that has rear defrost. Probably depends on where there the car was intended to be sold .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My 1983 GT has no rear defrost. It was ordered through the Buffalo (NY) DSO and sold at a dealer in Syracuse, NY.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Power Member

I am pretty sure rear defrost was an option and not standard equipment until much later. I don't think it was was part of the Fed mandated third rear brake light of 1986.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

It was mandatory in some states. For example, Ford Car Facts Books going back to at least 1979 said defrost was mandatory in NY on 2-door sedan models.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Defrost was standard in all Capri models starting with the 1985 model year.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I know it wasn't a Foureyed Fox, but I have a 1993 4 cylinder that came factory without rear defrost, so I don't think it ever became a standard feature, unless the 5.0/Gts got a different treatment.

Defrost was standard in SVO and required in NY in 1979-86 coupes and 1987-93 coupes and hatchbacks. It was optional in everything else.

EDIT: Defrost was also standard on Canadian models starting in 1985.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-03-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Defrost was standard in SVO and required in NY in 1979-86 coupes and 1987-93 coupes and hatchbacks. It was optional in everything else.
    Sounds correct. There were a few exceptions which were included later. These were convertibles (most had plastic rear windows) and pick up trucks. A 93 without rear defrost might have been a Canadian model or something else strange.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I was referring to Capris and Mustangs only. Mustangs convertibles from 1983 through 1993 did not ever have defrost from the factory. It was not available on late model convertibles until 1994.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Kevin K, the '93 I had bought from the original owner(a family friend), and he specifically ordered the car with no options except for the sunroof. It was bought new in louisville Ky.

I have plenty of Mustang buck tags in the database, all the way through the 1993 model year, that do not have the defrost option.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I have plenty of Mustang buck tags in the database, all the way through the 1993 model year, that do not have the defrost option.
    I've never seen a Canadian car without one. Do you have any data to show if they were in fact standard on Canadian cars or was it just normal practice to order them up here?

We had a discussion recently about defrost and lower bodyside protection (road abrasion coating) being standard in Canada but I forgot which years each became standard. Let me see if I can find the thread.

EDIT: Here is it: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?179557

Quote Originally Posted by 86Stripper View Post
    My understanding is that electric rear window defroster and road abrasion were standard on Canadian cars. Is that your view? Both good things to have here. I wasn't sure about the tinted glass. It looks like it. Are you going by the photo or is there something in the data I posted? Can one tell from the codes of the glass?
    Quote Originally Posted by 86Stripper View Post
    Just checked my 1986 Canada Sales Brochure. Tinted glass is listed as standard on all cars. Rear window defrost is listed as standard on all cars except convertible. It does not have a block heater which is listed as optional but some data I found suggested that this was standard in some cold winter DSO.
    I have not seen a Canadian brochure from 1986, but I have seen them from 1985 and earlier. I did not look at them close enough to realize that in all LX and GT models in Canada defrost (exc. convertibles) and tint were standard starting in the 1985 model year (they were already standard in the SVO in USA and Canada in all years) and on all models lower bodyside protection (RA/Road Abrasion) was standard since at least as early as the 1983 model year.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-03-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Here is the tags that I found on the parts car. It may not have even been purchased in Louisiana for all I know.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for that update, I missed that thread. It does confirm that my quest for a plain glass up here is not likely to bear fruit, so Lexan it will be.

My 86 cougar didn't have rear defrost, but it was a stripper model.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar