Close

Smile Repair Mistakes & Blunders!

We are looking for some good "Repair Mistake & Blunder" true stories to feature in the RockAuto newsletter (we know you have some)! Tell us about your most infamous auto repair blunder or unconventional fix. Use your woe to help others avoid similar mistakes or share off-the-wall solutions that worked ... at least for a while!

Please e-mail your story to Flamur@RockAuto.com. Include your mailing address and let us know if you would like a RockAuto T-shirt (please let us know your shirt size) or Hat if we publish your story. See the T-shirts and Hats by looking under the "Tools & Universal Parts" tab in the RockAuto.com online catalog.

The story will be credited using only your first name and your vague geographic location (state, province, country, continent, etc.) so you can remain semi-anonymous!

Read the latest "Repair Mistake & Blunder" story in our current newsletter : http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/?a=2017forum#blunder

Enjoy (and learn how to avoid) even more "Repair Mistakes & Blunders" in the newsletter archives: http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/A...ml?a=2017forum

Back just after high-school a bunch of friends piled into an 82ish suburban to go tubing in a flooded Creek after a TON of rain, (we weren't the smartest kids). After getting cut up on barbed wire and sticks and eaten half alive by mosquitos we were headed home. 1 mile later we were stuck on the gravel road with a bad fuel pump. I came up with the idea to suck some fuel out of the tank and put in the washer tank and the stick the washer hose into the vent on the carb. We drove the 10 miles home running the windshield washer to keep the carb full. Except for getting cocky and stopping for beer it was I good ride home. The pump gave up 100 ft from my driveway. Shane heintz, iowa

I know that's not where this goes but it's just too damn funny not to share with all of you.

I would not have been able to do that repair to get home as the washer bottle was where we put our whiskey with the dispenser hose run into the glove box for easy access while driving down the road.

Rest assured the windshield washer pump worked properly on all my friends cars!!!!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    I would not have been able to do that repair to get home as the washer bottle was where we put our whiskey with the dispenser hose run into the glove box for easy access while driving down the road.

Rest assured the windshield washer pump worked properly on all my friends cars!!!!
    That's awesome even if it is a bit unsanitary.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Worked GREAT!

No chance of getting stopped with a bottle of whiskey in your car/truck.

Unsanitary???

Youth, ignorance and alcohol took care of that!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

I few months after receiving my drivers license, my '68 Mustang left me on the side of the road with a bad timing chain. After towing the car home, my dad and spent the following weekend replacing the chain and gears. After an uneventful installation, I filled the radiator, drove it around the block, and declared the repair successful.

The next morning, a couple of buddies and I took in my Mustang off for a day of fishing, complete with a row boat strapped to the top of the car. About 15 miles down the freeway, the Mustang starts to miss and slow down. I barely get the car off the right shoulder before it dies. That's when I look down at the dash and see the temp gauge's needle buried on the wrong side of 'H'. We get out of the car and pop the hood. I tapped on the radiator cap and WOOSH! The cap flies off, sending steam and boiling water in a geyser up to the underside of the hood dousing us all. I fared the worst, obtaining a 2"x 6" heat blister on the back of my forearm.

One of my friends ran down to road to find a payphone (pre-cell phone days) while my other friend and I waited by the side of road. Going over the situation with my remaining friend as to what may have caused the car to over heat. As I was talking it through I realized that I only filled the radiator with water. What ever air was in the block remained in the system causing the engine to overheat and seize on the freeway. Expensive lesson learned that day.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981