Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Car show questions

Since a lot of you guys show your fabulous rides, I got a question. How many of you actually show the spare tire and jack in your trunk at the show? If so how many display them in a notchback? I was at some shows this weekend and got to see my scoring. I did get points deducted for not displaying my spare and jack amongst other which I didn't have. I thought that was a little over the top, considering the notches, and 'verts all have minimal trunk space and most newer ones don't even come with one.

How you guys display this if you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Benny
    -------------------------------
    86' Mustang LX 5.0L Notchback
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

I never have shown them but then again I have never been to such a picky show. My car is nowhere near good enough to win anything off of a points system.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

If you are taking to a show that is counting points you cannot hide anything. living in MI I like to drive and show it as is clean or dirty. Maybe soon I will have to buy a enclosed trailer to show a car or two
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

I am not sure what you mean by "on display" exactly but I have had judges ask me to SHOW THEM the spare tire area at more than one show. Meaning, I didn't go to the show and pull my spare and jack out of the trunk and set them out. So based on my experience, I would consider it not out of the ordinary.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Power Member

Mustang Club of America does not allow the judges to remove anything for judging. The carpet should not be touched. Therefore the spare and jack are not inspected. As long as it looks to be present, it's good. The trunk should be completely empty except for maybe some display items such as owners manuals etc. Thoroughbred class maybe different.

Local shows make up their own rules.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Thanks for the responses. One show I was at on Saturday the judging was tight. If you had more than 3 modifications then you were placed in modified. This show in particular had points for first aid kit, fire extinguisher, etc. tough one, but the club I rolled with took about 8 trophies.

Benny
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

The three mods rule is fairly normal. Even Carlisle has that I think. Like was stated above, MCA does not even look at the spare and jack.
    I have never in 20 plus years of showing cars ever heard of points for first aid kits and fire extinguishers. Though a lot of shows require you to have one for the car.
    The only shows I can think of that would be that picky would be World of Wheels type shows where they scrutinize everything right down to the direction a symbol on a bolt head is facing.

I do not. The only time my spare tire area gets looked at is if an MCA judge wants to see it. I participate in very few MCA judged events....thats not my thing. I prefer generally judged shows, whether they be Mustang Club or Open events. My cars are shown the way I enjoy them and want people to see them.....hatch and hoods up, convertible top down with boot on, t-tops out and windows down.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Ok. I enjoy showing, cruise ins, open events large and small. If I place, l place. Mostly enjoy seeing the other cars or talking with the other guys/gals , about theirs or mine.

My car is far from perfect, needs to be repainted, i automatically get put in modified in some shows, due to the off-road x pipe w/ slp loudmouth resonators, Bullitt rims with 13" cobra brakes and 3" cowl hood. That is just from the outside.

Benny
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

Quote Originally Posted by SLow5.0 View Post
    Ok. I enjoy showing, cruise ins, open events large and small. If I place, l place. Mostly enjoy seeing the other cars or talking with the other guys/gals , about theirs or mine.
    This right here! Always amazes me to see people at shows get mad or start complaining when they don't get a trophy. Weather judged or popular vote, most things are subjective when comes down to it. I've been fortunate to win many, but have lost several as well that didn't seem to make sense. Whatever...that's not why I do them. To quote a good friend "the cars are just a conduit to the people and friendships"
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    This right here! Always amazes me to see people at shows get mad or start complaining when they don't get a trophy. Weather judged or popular vote, most things are subjective when comes down to it. I've been fortunate to win many, but have lost several as well that didn't seem to make sense. Whatever...that's not why I do them. To quote a good friend "the cars are just a conduit to the people and friendships"
    That's right, you are absolutely correct. It should be enjoyable. I always did a lot more cruise ins than shows, just started showing, always trying to see what I can improve on. Can't stay stock, but can't have so powerful and pristine that you can't drive it.

Benny
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

Blog Entries

I open the hood, display the blower, and tuck my best time slip for the year under the wiper blade. Never had a complaint yet! Lol
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Can't imagine being scrutinized to that degree. I wouldn't even know where to find a show like that. My car is lucky if it gets washed before I show it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

This was the first show I had been to that judging was extensive. Also this was the first one that I got to see my points card, so I can get an idea on the judging and what needs work on.

Benny
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

This one was put on by the A.C.A. Still had a lot of nice cars and trucks. 1st gen firebirds, a couple of Trans Am ( had east bound and down playing in my head ). LOL.

Overall it was a great time, got to show my 4 year old car show etiquette. Learning to only touch my car, not everyone elses unless they offer.

Benny
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

Blog Entries

There is a large Mustang show at the Budweiser plant near me every year. One of the catagories is "original restored ", or something along those lines. The winner was an '85 GT convertible . As I walked around the car, counting all of the incorrect items, from the air cleaner being painted body color to the wrong tire size to the incorrect seats, I realized i would never want to even try something like this. There were far more original cars there, but this one was shiny, a convertible, and owned by a person in the same club as the MCA certified judge. Pretty disheartening to see.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

I have been to a lot of shows and I have never been asked to show my spare and jack but I have a hatch and have the 5.0L rear hatch carpet pad. I do have one and a jack so maybe I better clean it up for the future.The only thing they require around my town is to have the hood and hatch open with the windows down. I pray I never have to use that little thing they call a spare or I will be riding low on that wheel.
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Yard sales are a GREAT place to collect trophies!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

I love going to shows. Don't care anymore about trophies, usually. Once in a while it is nice though to get a trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    There is a large Mustang show at the Budweiser plant near me every year. One of the catagories is "original restored ", or something along those lines. The winner was an '85 GT convertible . As I walked around the car, counting all of the incorrect items, from the air cleaner being painted body color to the wrong tire size to the incorrect seats, I realized i would never want to even try something like this. There were far more original cars there, but this one was shiny, a convertible, and owned by a person in the same club as the MCA certified judge. Pretty disheartening to see.
    This right here is why I say most shows are subjective. MCA shows are different and usually keep it mostly objective and on point, but most open shows put on by other clubs or mfr specific cars really don't know (or care) what qualifies as "original" or "unrestored". There is probably not a show that I enter that I shouldn't win (or be a close 2nd to some cars) the "unrestored" class with one of my cars, but it rarely happens. But it doesn't bother me a bit...the judges have their own set of criteria and cars that they prefer. Its all about a relaxing day among great cars and other car nuts
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Most of the points brought up here are spot on, at least for me. I for one know that the chances of me "winning" or placing with my car are slim to none. I have found, at least in this local area, that most of the time the cars that win or place are the same ones over and over. Most of this is due to the fact that the car culture here is fairly small and everyone knows everyone in which they vote for their friends. Being a newcomer into the scene is a bit rough if you have the expectation that you are going to win right off.

I take mine out to just about any and all shows regardless of the type or what group is putting them on. I do it for nothing more than to get it out on a beautiful day, interact with people and to see the neat rides that the owners are passionate about. That is what makes it enjoyable to me. If I place, cool. If not, I still had a good time. Hearing a good story from a person walking around about how a car like mine brings back memories and puts a smile on their face is better than a trophy to me. Of course, the occasional plaque or trophy is nice also.

I will say that last year, I was the king of door prizes. I won them at every show and some shows multiple times. I've got more towels, car care products, t-shirts and knick knacks than I know what to do with.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 03-30-2017 at 09:26 AM.
    Brock

Never done an MCA show, yet put at least I can have an idea on the judging. Most of the ones I have been doing is from Showplace Classics, started up 3 yrs ago and hits places around Houston with 16 shows a year, plus they do cruise ins as well throughout the year too. If your not familiar with Houston, it's huge. Plus through the car club I'm affiliated with we get hit up on several other shows during the year, not to mention our annual club show, which we pull in about 125-150 mustangs only. I know our judging just uses MCA as a guideline, but not as extensive.

Sometimes it is nice to get recognized, but it is more interesting in seeing the other cars and talking with the other car owners. Lots of people remember having an 86', lots of people like the setups I have used. Sometimes I get hit up with advice or opinions, which I usually stay neutral on, but end up mentioning this place in the end .

Benny
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Most of the points brought up here are spot on, at least for me. I for one know that the chances of me "winning" or placing with my car are slim to none. I have found, at least in this local area, that most of the time the cars that win or place are the same ones over and over. Most of this is due to the fact that the car culture here is fairly small and everyone knows everyone in which they vote for their friends. Being a newcomer into the scene is a bit rough if you have the expectation that you are going to win right off.

I take mine out to just about any and all shows regardless of the type or what group is putting them on. I do it for nothing more than to get it out on a beautiful day, interact with people and to see the neat rides that the owners are passionate about. That is what makes it enjoyable to me. If I place, cool. If not, I still had a good time. Hearing a good story from a person walking around about how a car like mine brings back memories and puts a smile on their face is better than a trophy to me. Of course, the occasional plaque or trophy is nice also.

I will say that last year, I was the king of door prizes. I won them at every show and some shows multiple times. I've got more towels, car care products, t-shirts and knick knacks than I know what to do with.
    This is what it is all about, brother! Getting out and enjoying, finding the car hangouts, might even meet people who can help with particular items. The shows I've been to, they are slim pickings on the 80's cars, but when there is, usually the Grand Nationals show me up.

Benny
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

Quote Originally Posted by SLow5.0 View Post
    This is what it is all about, brother! Getting out and enjoying, finding the car hangouts, might even meet people who can help with particular items. The shows I've been to, they are slim pickings on the 80's cars, but when there is, usually the Grand Nationals show me up.
    You nailed it. 80's cars are very far and few in between up here and they very seldom make it out to a show, or even a cruise for that matter. Ironically there are 2 GN's and a white turbo Regal that show up quite regularly and those are about the only other 80's cars around. Even in the Mustang club I'm in, there are only 3 4-eyes and mine is the only one that runs and makes it to the events.
    At our clubs Annual Mustang show, I was the only 4-eye there amongst the foxbodys. Our class was broken up year wise from 74-86. There were 4 cars and 3 trophies in our class and I lost out to all 3 Mustang II's. The 80's cars don't get much love.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    You nailed it. 80's cars are very far and few in between up here and they very seldom make it out to a show, or even a cruise for that matter. Ironically there are 2 GN's and a white turbo Regal that show up quite regularly and those are about the only other 80's cars around. Even in the Mustang club I'm in, there are only 3 4-eyes and mine is the only one that runs and makes it to the events.
    Oh yeah I hear that, we have about 5 4-eyes in ours, one with an 82 GT, which I'm trying to get him on here, an 86' GT, 86' SVO, my 86' Notch and an 85' GT vert' (bwguardian). Mostly me and the 82 GT are out. Keep trying to get the guy with the 86 SVO out, no excuses now since he just retired from the university . Bwguardian, has just been busy with life, if he sees this. I'm still holding on those part for ya. We are mostly mixed up with all years older and newer, several 60', about 5 early 70's, you know our 80's, one 90's so far and the rest are 2005 up. Plus we have a few honorary members, non mustang owners that roll with us.

Benny
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast