Close

Exclamation 1983 no fuel to carb why? Installed new manual pump. Is there electric pump@tank?

Hi Guys:

First Post:Why do Iget no fuel to the carburetor while cranking?I unscrewed the fuel line going into the fuel filter at the carburetor,then cranked, and got no fuel or pressure.Is there an electric pump in the tank?The fuel line goes to the manual fuel pump on the engine block.Then there is a rubber and then a metal fuelline to the gas tank, then rubber line which disappears going toward the top ofthe tank.

I installed a new manual pump, and got no fuel whilecranking again to the carb.I blew airthrough the fuel line to the tank, and through the rubber hose into the tank;fuel flowed freely, reconnected lines, cranked, and got no fuel to the carbagain.

It looks like a straight shot of fuel from tank to manualpump to carburetor.Am I missingsomething?

Could the new pump have clogged from old fuel before I blewout the fuel lines?The car has beensitting in my carport for about 14 years.I drove it in there with no problems.

1983 v6 GLX stock convertible no turbo or fuel injection

FEP Supporter

Welcome to the forum.

I'd check and make sure that you didn't hook the lines up backwards on the pump. When you disconnected the line at the carb did you crank the motor and see if you had suction there? If so the lines are backwards.
    '85 GT

Thanks for the tip. I just removed the pump and get no pressure or suction from pump inlets and outlets while moving the cam actuated arm. Looks like a defective new pump.

Are you sure you have the arm in the correct position on the cam eccentric? Remember it goes on the underside of the eccentric not the top side.

I'm fairly certain it'd be damn difficult to near to impossible to incorrectly install the mechanical fuel pump regarding the arm and eccentric. Was somebody's ear at the fuel fill tube listening for your blown air? Fuel flowed freely?...

I'd remove the tank line from the pump again, blow it back and have somebody listening for bubbling in the tank, and if that checks out, add enough fuel into the float bowl to get it running and see if it continues to run...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Thanks for the help.The new pump I installed was bad.The arm would move the internal post about an inch producing nosuction.The new new fuel pump onlymoved about ¼” unless you put a lot of pressure on it.Then it would move about an inch and producesuction.

I used a mirror and remote starter switch to move the campoint away from the bottom where the arm hits for ease of installation.

Now I need some mercon mercon5 or type h transmission fluid.Does anyone know if these are the onlysuitable type h compatibles?

Thanks for the help.The new pump I installed was bad.The arm would move the internal post about an inch producing nosuction.The new new fuel pump onlymoved about ¼” unless you put a lot of pressure on it.Then it would move about an inch and producesuction.

I used a mirror and remote starter switch to move the campoint away from the bottom where the arm hits for ease of installation.

Now I need some mercon mercon5 or type h transmission fluid.Does anyone know if these are the onlysuitable type h compatibles?

Another thing to consider is replacing the rubber fuel hoses that go from the tank to steel line out back, and then from steel line to pump up front. If they are original they could be to the point of breaking down. When they do that, the tend to "collapse" under suction from the pump. The symptom would be starting and running fine for just a few minutes, then dying like it is out of gas. Just keep that in back of your mind if those rubber hoses are original.

I had this happen on an 83GT I resurrected several years ago. Major head scratcher....simple fix
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Back in the day it used to be Dexron III with Mercon, not sure what they are calling it but it usually specifys Ford on the label. If it says Dexron or Mercon ATF you should be OK. Nice job with the diagnosing and getting past it. Keep us posted.

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

Thanks for the tips.

How do you change the rear rubber hose at the fuel tank? The front end of the hose is exposed with a hose clamp clip at the metal line by the right rear wheel well. The other end of the rubber hose disappears behind sheet metal in the trunk fuel tank area.

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Another thing to consider is replacing the rubber fuel hoses that go from the tank to steel line out back, and then from steel line to pump up front. If they are original they could be to the point of breaking down. When they do that, the tend to "collapse" under suction from the pump. The symptom would be starting and running fine for just a few minutes, then dying like it is out of gas. Just keep that in back of your mind if those rubber hoses are original.

I had this happen on an 83GT I resurrected several years ago. Major head scratcher....simple fix