Close

Thread: 85-86 seats

Default 85-86 seats

Are the seat frames the same between the GT, SVO, Convertible mustangs? Can you put the foam, upholstery, and headrest from one to the other?

Thanks

From what I remember, the frames are the same...it is the SVO foam and/or fabric that is different. It will also depend on if you have the high back versus low back configuration...vert LX versus vert GT...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Thanks for the reply

We really need more specific information about your question but here is some general information. Headrests ALL interchange regardless of the seat except Recaros.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...FFERENCES+SEAT
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Thanks for the link, I have a 84 gt that needs seats and would like to find some seats that I can put SVO foam and covers on.

I think if u are going to change the foam and seat material, u can also use the 87 and up sport seat frames. Obviously u can't use the low back seat frames

I believe 90 or 91 is when Ford went to the shorter backs on the GT/LX Sport buckets. Check TMI for details. Backrest height on the older seats is 26, newer is 24". Also Ford went away from the knee bolsters as a cost cutting measure.

The SVO foam and covers reportedly fit on any sport seat frames with 26" backs and bolsters. I've heard of someone cutting down the SVO foam and cover for the shorter seat but they said the would never do it again as it didn't work out well. The newer seat frames are broader at the top because the top is what was lopped off. Better to extend the top of the frame or get the correct one in the first place.

87+ seat frames had power lumbar pump and controls built in. Those are better candidates than the factory 85/86 seats, also easier to find it seems. So many of the Aero cars get gutted to be a track car.

Add heat while you are at it.

The 83- 88 turbo coupes and 84- 88 xr7 cougars also use the 87- 88 style seats with power lumbar. Seat tracks are different but seats are the same.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Great info
    Just missed a set for free so I will keep a eye out for another low cost - free set.
    Thanks

FEP Senior Member

I remember reading somewhere that even the 94 to 04 seats have the same seat frame, but I am not sure...