Close

Default Connector seperation

Any good advice on separating those multi pin connectors such as the ones found in the kick panels that haven't been apart in 38 or so years. Pulling isn't doing it.

If your talking about removing the connector pins from the plugs themselves that can be tricky. They are made to go in but not come out. Technically it requires a special tool. But if you have a couple tiny flat blade screwdrivers then you can get them out of the plug.

If you're talking about just getting the plugs apart you have to pull hard I guess. I have used a pair of pliers on each side already to get them apart. Also make sure they are not locked together with the tabs.

Most of the connectors do not just pull apart. The locking tabs have to be lifted while you're pulling. There
    is actually a tool set for this - http://www.etoolpros.com/automotive-tools/OTC-4460.html Worth every penny.

Once you get them apart, I like to use a small modeler's file to round off the 'peak' on the latching nub, and
    also the sharp edge where the latching tab seats, then put a slight back-cut in the slot on the tab, so that next
    time, they -can- be pulled apart without breaking things.
    Last edited by JACook; 03-25-2017 at 09:15 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Plus after all these years the plastic becomes brittle making them easy to break the tabs.

They were easily broken when they were new, if you didn't have the tool...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I purchased the tool JACook linked. Reach for it just thinking about Foxbody electrical clips! Highly recommend.

I use a couple screwdrivers and slide them underneath the locking tabs to where I can use both hands to pull the connectors apart. Once I get them apart, I do as JA Cook said and file just a bit off of the nubs to round them a bit. They NEVER come apart easily from the factory and you swear you will rip things apart before they come loose.

One thing that helps tremendously in the future is using a fair amount of dielectric grease in the connectors to keep them from getting dry and sticky down the road. Usually once I do this, I never have an issue getting them apart again.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

The clips are usually pretty brittle ad just break. Specially the tps and other engine bad connectors.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Yeah, Ford sure used the worst plastic ever for these things, GM stuff of that era was worlds better. I have a Miller set of picks and a couple "ninja stars" from the cheap tool store for re-pinning plugs.

Oh, and if you ever have to replace the mulit function switch on the column, go straight to the pencil grinder with a burr and knock the tab off the offending switch. That's the only way I could figure out how to get it off without breaking the latch or taking more stuff apart... This reminded me of that in all of my madness...

Cale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyYJitdeQi4

A nominated mandatory purchase for Davedacarpainter, who's surely gonna need 'em!