Close

Default 85 Hei distributer

my 85 was converted to hei before I got it. I what to change it back . any photos of what all I need and what it should look like mounted.. thanks

So first, it may be hard to tell, but do you know if your car was originally (or is it still) an automatic?
    If the car was originally delivered with the 4V carb, it will depend on how much of the original harnesses
    remain.

But basically, you will need an '85 (one year only) distributor, a DG-314 coil, and a DY-237 or equivalent
    "blue grommet" ignition module. You will also need the bracket that mounts the coil to the intake manifold,
    on the passenger side, just ahead of the carburetor. And, of course, a coil wire. ;-)

I'm giving you the Motorcraft numbers, because you're better off with even used Motorcraft parts, than
    new aftermarket replacements from McParts. But you can still easily find the coil and module new on Ebay.

There would originally have been a 'horseshoe' connector that snaps on over the front of the coil.

The ignition module mounts on the driver-side fender apron, down near the frame rail, and just ahead of
    the strut tower. There would have originally been two round black connectors for the module, one with 3
    blades, and the other with 2 blades.

The distributor pickup would have plugged into another round black 3-blade connector, in the area of the
    top of the timing cover.

The '85 4V engine harness is available new, but it's pretty spendy. Hopefully enough of yours is still there
    to work with. Pigtails are available for the coil and ignition module connectors.

Nice looking '85 btw. And good call ridding it of that HEI eyesore.
    Last edited by JACook; 03-25-2017 at 10:11 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

thanks.. yes it was an original 5 spd 4 bbl car.... I'm gathering up the parts..hopefully the wiring isn't too cut up but I don't think it is... and yes that dist.is ugly in there. thanks. roy

Let me know how it works out for you. The previous owner of my car did exactly the same thing, among all the other wiring problems I have. They say those HEI's throw out some serious spark, but I hate the way it looks under my hood so I will take less spark for it to be of true blue oval fashion. im hoping my ignition module under the solenoid is still good and I don't have to sink a bunch of money into to change it back over.

will do.. going to change it when we get back from the PITS mustang show that's this weekend in Pigeon Forge... roy

it does run ok.. is there any advantage to keeping it in there?. a dual snorkel air cleaner won't fit on with it in there.

I think the advantage would be better spark, the disadvantage is its just big and ugly. I ordered a replacement Motorcraft Distributor on Monday, and still need to pick up a coil and make sure all of the wiring is still there on mine. I want to run it with the stock dual snorkel air cleaner just because i think it looks cool, and for the time being im trying to restore it back to stock, before i decide if im going to keep it, sell it, or mod it.

Late reply here, but...

The GM HEI ignition does not provide any performance benefit over a stock Motorcraft Duraspark module and coil.
    Giving up the factory cold air induction setup to run an HEI is yet another step backward.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune