Close

Default rear hatch interior trim

what years work for the plastic that goes up under the hatch in theh cargo area for an 85?..thanks roy

Are you referring to the trim piece that attaches to the exposed metal on the underside of the hatch?

Or are you referring to the interior trim pieces that line the back of the hatch just at the tail light panel?
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

yes the plastic vinyl piece that goes up under the hatch ... thanks. roy

Essentially any trim from 79-93 will fit. The hatch metal didn't really change. You will most likely need to drill holes for the mounting hardware if your hatch never had the trim piece, but that should be it.

The early models with the rear window wiper motor had the trim piece with the large bump in it that was later used on the SVO Mustangs.

The later model 87-93 trim piece is flat and I have installed that on several of my 4 Eyed Foxes. Works just fine and usually only need to drill a couple of holes to mount it. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

thanks for the info

I struggled to find one. I have an '85 and the only car I've seen it on are the SVO's.

Any pics of the non-svo ones? Was this an option package?

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The later model 87-93 trim piece is flat and I have installed that on several of my 4 Eyed Foxes. Works just fine and usually only need to drill a couple of holes to mount it. Good Luck!
    This is all true but I would add that when drilling said holes, one must be EXTREMELY careful to limit the depth the drill bit can go because once you cut through the bottom metal it is very easy for the drill bit to hit the outside sheet metal and put a very noticeable ding on the hatch lid. And further, you must be certain to use the proper depth screws when attaching the plastic so as not to screw into the hatch sheet metal and do the same.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

There's actually quite a few of these on eBay for sale. 87-93 hatch trim. They're all around 80-120 bucks shipped, which is a little more than I want to pay for something I don't need.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

does anyone have photos of difference of the 86 vs. the 87

did 85's not usually have that trim panel?.. mine doesn't have any mounting holes drilled in the hatch .thanks

The trim panels used on the SVO's were the same as the trim panel Ford used on the rear wiper equipped models early in the 4 Eyed years.

I am not 100% sure, but I don't believe the trim panel was used for the later 4 eyed models except for the SVO's. It's possible it was part of a trim package, but non of my 85/86 GT's ever had it. My 82 GT didn't have one and I don't remember seeing them on many other Foxes, but again I never owned them new, so you never know.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

thanks for the info.. roy

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Essentially any trim from 79-93 will fit. The hatch metal didn't really change. You will most likely need to drill holes for the mounting hardware if your hatch never had the trim piece, but that should be it.

The early models with the rear window wiper motor had the trim piece with the large bump in it that was later used on the SVO Mustangs.

Trey, I just acquired one of these flat inserts from a later aero car and I'm looking to install in on my 84. I notice on the back side there's a few screw holes..some with some considerable depth and at least 6 spots where a plastic push screws clips are inserted. Can you give me anymore insight into putting this thing on? Did you drill holes for clips too? Any suggestion on screw depth? Attached is an image of the hardware I found on Ebay.

thanks

Name:  IMG_3218.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  28.9 KB
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

FEP Super Member

This panel is only available on 87 -93 .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    This panel is only available on 87 -93 .
    Yes, but it can be and has been installed by many on pre 87 foxes. I'm just looking for a little guidance.
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

The easy way is to source one on an 87-93 hatch when you're picking up a newer less rusty hatch.

Sadly the rear spoiler mounts were a source of a lot of moisture that lead to some extreme rust conditions. My 86 had a rusty hatch by the time it was 7 years old. I put on a new one off of a crashed new 93 back in 93. That hatch is now so rusty I'm amazed it doesn't just pop open on its own.

Anyway - I added this trim on my car when I went to the 93 hatch

ive noticed that many of the older hatchbacks that never had a spoiler of any kind are often way less rusty in the hatch these days. I found a nice one from a destroyed low miles garage kept 88. Not sure what the heck happened to it but clearly it was one hell of a wreck.

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by vxr500 View Post
    Yes, but it can be and has been installed by many on pre 87 foxes. I'm just looking for a little guidance.

You were asking what years had this panel , and i was telling you .
    By the way , if you get the gray , it will not match your factory color , dye will be in your future .

Tbe install is easy enough ,, tape the insert to your hatch , and use a drill bit that is just slightly longer than the boss on the plastic , where the screws are placed .
    Use the bit to mark the location .
    Remove the insert after you have made the marks .
    Use 1/4 " Self tapping screws to make your holes .
    The head is 1/4 inch , not the hole .
    This makes it safe , and you will not puncture the other side .
    You dont really need the push pins , i think there is a screw in each corner
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    You were asking what years had this panel , and i was telling you .
    By the way , if you get the gray , it will not match your factory color , dye will be in your future .

Tbe install is easy enough ,, tape the insert to your hatch , and use a drill bit that is just slightly longer than the boss on the plastic , where the screws are placed .
    Use the bit to mark the location .
    Remove the insert after you have made the marks .
    Use 1/4 " Self tapping screws to make your holes .
    The head is 1/4 inch , not the hole .
    This makes it safe , and you will not puncture the other side .
    You dont really need the push pins , i think there is a screw in each corner
    No, I know what years it's from and that it fits , I was just asking about any easy method that won't damage the hatch. I'm concerned about the screw length.

I'm probably going to try as you say, but I notice that the 6 clip inserts line up perfectly with indented but not drilled through holes in the hatch. I might drill those first, attach the cover with the clips and then mark the holes for the screws. This way it's dead on
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air