Close

Thread: P/S pump

Default P/S pump

What would be the best to get for my CC? 5.0 TRW package. As I have just got it running the pump decided to tart leaking.

Your best bet is to rent a pulley puller and buy a rebuild kit and fix it yourself. My most recent endeavor with rebuilt A1 Cardone ps pumps (who rebuild all of them) resulted in me putting 2 rebuilt pumps on my truck, finding they both had issues, tearing them apart myself and making one good one out of the two and returning one. They are pretty simple, but DO NOT REMOVE THE FLOW CONTROL VALVE! It comes right out when you remove the pressure hose. It is an easy job so long as you DO NOT REMOVE THE FLOW CONTROL VALVE! Keep it below the threads, because in my experience those things don't want to go back in.

The second pump I bought for my truck did not even have a flow control valve in it! I should have noticed but I was in "bust this stupid job out as fast as possible for the second time" mode. So their quality control is non-existent. The first one had a pinched o-ring for the reservoir, and it leaked worse than the pump I removed for that reason.

Now is also a good time to switch to Type F transmission fluid and quiet down the noisy pump. If you have any v6 four eyes around you in the wrecking yards, you may want to snag a ps pulley off of one as they are larger in diameter and slow down the pump. It's my opinion that the ps pump spins too fast with the factory v8 configuration.

Cale
    Last edited by cb84capri; 03-25-2017 at 11:16 AM.

FEP Senior Member

I agree with cb84capri. There are several tutorials online on rebuilding these pumps. I just rebuilt the pump on my Crown Victoria last fall after it was leaking from the shaft seal. It was quite easy.

Agree - V8 pumps spin too fast. Smaller underdrive on crank is another option but then the waterpump and alternator are also slowed and may be too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by cb650 View Post
    What would be the best to get for my CC? 5.0 TRW package. As I have just got it running the pump decided to tart leaking.
    +1. A seal kit. And Type F fluid.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune