Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinion needed on 1984 canyon red sport seats

We recently had our canyon red sport seats professionally re-upholstered and I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the quality/correctness of this upholstery work? I know that the seats are fairly complicated to work on and I have my opinion on how they turned out but I would like other honest opinions and I value the judgement of the people on this site more than any other.

We went to great lengths to find factory correct (maybe) material and waited 3 months for the work to be completed.

Would you put this seat in your car?

Name:  P1020762.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  36.8 KB
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

This is a bad "before" photo of the seats for anyone that doesn't have permanent images of sport seats burned into their brain.

Name:  seats.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  125.1 KB
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

The top of the center section definitely looks wrong. It looks like they stuck a piece of vinyl in at the top of the first pleat or as the first pleat for the center section. I can't tell from the pictures for sure, but it doesn't look like the center section pleats have the side bolster material on the sides like the OEM seats do.

Other than those two items the seat looks like it's pretty close to the OEM seats. I can't tell for sure on color just due to internet pictures, etc., but they don't look bad. Unfortunately they just don't look completely "RIGHT" either IMHO.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Wow...

I'm sure that you're probably disappointed. To go through the trouble and expense to find the right fabrics and then pay a "professional" and get a result like this? I'd be more than disappointed, I'd be flaming mad about it.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    they don't look bad. Unfortunately they just don't look completely "RIGHT" either IMHO.

Trey

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    I'd be more than disappointed, I'd be flaming mad about it.
    Thank you guys very much for confirming my opinions on this!

These are the problems I had with the job:

1. The strange piece of vinyl or whatever it is at the top.

2. It's a little hard to see in the photo but the seams are supposed to go up diagonally from the top middle to the outside corners of the seat...not straight out to the sides.

3. It looks like they were either sewn flat (insert to border) or the foam was replaced with incorrect foam. The sport seats that I have seen have sort of an extra border piece around the bottom where you sit & the back rest that makes them stand out a little from the edges of the seat to give them more dimension.

I haven't actually seen the seats in person yet. So I am hoping the photo doesn't do the job justice but based on the strange piece at the top and the incorrect seams, I don't want these in my car.

This is what was available to the upholsterer for the job: photos (very good quality of all the original seats), the original upholstery for patterns which wasn't in bad shape at all other than some fading and a little wear to the seat fronts & side piping and complete seats with foam & hardware. So I am not sure who dropped the ball on this...either the restoration shop or the upholsterer but I am not a happy camper. FYI: The price tag on this upholstery job was $5000 so you can understand my frustration.

My next question and a more important one is....does anyone know a good upholstery shop that actually has experience with fox Mustang sport seats that might be willing to redo this job the right way?
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    it doesn't look like the center section pleats have the side bolster material on the sides like the OEM seats do

Trey
    Definitely missing the side bolster like Trey said. He described it much better than I tried to.
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

You should have gone to "Kill" over in Chesapeake Ohio.
    That being said, what is done is done. To me, the vinyl section is what ruins it. the issue Wraith was referring to may be just because of incorrect foam shape/design. Did the shop do the foam or is it a kit from TMI etc?
    Also, judging by your screen name you have a late '84 GT Turbo which means your seats should have had the pull out lower thigh bolsters.
    EDIT: I just found your Decode post and I see it was made in 11/83 so that would not be a late '84, it would be an early one so I am wrong there. So now I have to ask what "LT" stands for, LOL?
    Last edited by homer302; 04-28-2016 at 07:44 AM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I have to ask what "LT" stands for, LOL?
    Those are my initials...not very creative on my part.

I am still waiting for answers on what was done with the foam. To me, it looks like they used a "standard" foam kit instead of "sport seat" foam and then tried leaving off the bolsters to get the fabric to fit. It could all just be a bad photo angle (hoping). I am still confused by the pieces at the top. I mean really...did they try to cut corners on upholstery and just throw in scraps to fill the space or what??? It wouldn't be so bad if it was in a place that is not the first thing you see when you look at the seats.

I was told by the restoration shop that the upholstery was done by one of the "premier" upholsterers in the country. This is someone that we would see at the big shows like Carlisle & Hershey. I have learned a valuable lesson...just because someone is experienced in the industry doesn't mean that they know how to restore our foxes. I should have done my homework better. So live and learn I guess. Still searching for plan "B" if anyone has a recommendation.

Thanks,
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

It DOES look like standard seat foam!

If you want to start over I can probably get you "kills" name and contact info. He is in Chesapeake, Ohio on Old Rt 7
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Looks like also maybe the inserts for the seat back was put in upside down? Maybe the vinyl piece should be on the bottom so it wont wear out when folding the seat? I see a lot of OEM seats that have a vinyl strip down there to prevent premature wear.

Pm sent, LT-84GTturbo

Quote Originally Posted by elimontfort View Post
    Looks like also maybe the inserts for the seat back was put in upside down? Maybe the vinyl piece should be on the bottom so it wont wear out when folding the seat? I see a lot of OEM seats that have a vinyl strip down there to prevent premature wear.
    Good point! Thanks for mentioning this. If the restoration shop disassembled the seats & covers before the upholstery guy got them, that would make sense.

I do know for a fact that the in-house upholstery man at the restoration shop would not do the seats after he looked at the bolsters and decided that they were too complicated for him to do. I respect them for outsourcing the work instead of getting in over their heads on it.
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Pm sent, LT-84GTturbo
    PM response sent. Thanks for the info!
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

Did you pay for them to do that I would think that they would issue a refund or some kinda credit???

Quote Originally Posted by STANGMAN116 View Post
    Did you pay for them to do that I would think that they would issue a refund or some kinda credit???
    Trying to get that worked out now. The upholstery guy has been paid by the restoration shop and the fabric was paid for in advance but my wife and I haven't paid the restoration shop for the labor yet other than a $650 deposit. I was reassured today that the upholsterer stands behind his work and will make it right with no additional charges. I hope that's true and that a second attempt will turn out better. If so, this thread will have a much happier ending! Otherwise, we will be bringing the seats home to get them done right.
    Last edited by LT-84GTturbo; 04-28-2016 at 12:50 PM.
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

There is no way I would accept those seats, especially for what they charged to do them. I had some done by a local shop and they charged me less than $500 and the seats looked exactly right except for the material which I told them to change. They just wasted your material.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    If you want to start over I can probably get you "kills" name and contact info. He is in Chesapeake, Ohio on Old Rt 7
    I appreciate this. Please send me a PM with any info. Chesapeake is nearby and I might be able to find him with what you have already given. If the current shop doesn't make this right for us, we will be looking elsewhere.

Thanks!
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

Ya crazy since he was provided photos and they don't match! man I hope the best for you and hope the shop stands behind the upholster.

Quote Originally Posted by LT-84GTturbo View Post
    This is a bad "before" photo of the seats for anyone that doesn't have permanent images of sport seats burned into their brain.

Name:  seats.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  125.1 KB
    These are the exact same seats in my son's early 84 #4xx made. Anyway why not use the available seat covers for an 83? From what I researched he needs 83 seat covers, but I haven't positivly identified that yet.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

This scares me because I was gearing up to order fabric from SMS to do my 84 charcoal sport seat. But at 90 bucks a yard, and who knows how many I'll need, I'm afraid I'll get a job like this. I might just have just a few sections repaired on my d/s seat and just forget about redoing both. Damn I wish TMI made seat covers in the correct pattern.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Quote Originally Posted by STL79Coupe View Post
    These are the exact same seats in my son's early 84 #4xx made. Anyway why not use the available seat covers for an 83? From what I researched he needs 83 seat covers, but I haven't positivly identified that yet.
    The available seat covers for 83 and 84 Mustangs are WAY wrong. Cloth is completely different.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vxr500 View Post
    This scares me because I was gearing up to order fabric from SMS to do my 84 charcoal sport seat. But at 90 bucks a yard, and who knows how many I'll need, I'm afraid I'll get a job like this. I might just have just a few sections repaired on my d/s seat and just forget about redoing both. Damn I wish TMI made seat covers in the correct pattern.
    Someone told me TMI would if you sent them the fabric you wanted to use.

Quote Originally Posted by STL79Coupe View Post
    why not use the available seat covers for an 83?
    We are nearing the end of a 3 year rotisserie restoration which was a dream I have had for 25 years of owning the car. We were told in the beginning that the seats would just need refreshed. i.e. Some minor piping repair and replacing a couple of slightly worn panels on the front seats. The rear was almost perfect to start with. That turned into needing all of the seats covered to get the material to match which we understood. So much effort went into the rest of the car that we were scared to take a chance on covers but they would definitely have looked better than what we got.
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by vxr500 View Post
    It's definitely not a good feeling. This fabric was from SMS and we were happy to find it after seeing someone else's post on this site. It's a shame to see any of it wasted. I would definitely try to just repair the bad sections or even leave it original if I had it to do over.
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    The available seat covers for 83 and 84 Mustangs are WAY wrong. Cloth is completely different.
    Quote Originally Posted by LT-84GTturbo View Post
    We are nearing the end of a 3 year rotisserie restoration which was a dream I have had for 25 years of owning the car. We were told in the beginning that the seats would just need refreshed. i.e. Some minor piping repair and replacing a couple of slightly worn panels on the front seats. The rear was almost perfect to start with. That turned into needing all of the seats covered to get the material to match which we understood. So much effort went into the rest of the car that we were scared to take a chance on covers but they would definitely have looked better than what we got.
    Now this is going to aggrevate me to no end as my son's back seat is in GREAT shape. We had hoped to just redo his front seats, but if the fabric is wrong that is another problem.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast