Close

FEP Senior Member

Default 2.3L Setup to a 5.0L set-up, should I change everything?

I am reusing the complete 5.0L brake system from a '92 and putting it all in an '80 chassis. Both were coupes. Is there an advantage to taking the long run of steel brake lines that run through / under the car out and replacing it with the '92 parts that only run under the car? It's obviously less work to reuse the '80 lines and just replace the front and rear pieces, but I have no issue changing it all. The car will be used as a mixed street and track car, and I do have all the '92 pieces to match.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Man to be so "alike" the Fox Mustangs sure are actually quite DIFFERENT in so many ways over the years. Never even knew there was a difference in where the brake lines were run. Learn something new every day. Hope someone chimes in here with some more information.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

If it were me, I would just swap everything. The rear line is completely different not only in that it runs thru the car in the 80 and outside on the 92, but the line ends up on the driver side of the driveshaft tunnel to clear the dual exhaust of the 5.0 rather than on the passenger side of the 2.3 and the pre 86 V8 cars.

The front lines have subtle differences, but ultimately will work better with most replacement offerings or aftermarket upgrades since most of them are designed for the 87-93 cars anyway. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I would replace all with the V8 brake lines. In fact I would just buy a Stainless Steel Brake line kit for an 87-93, the kits are not that expensive, look great when done, and you don't have to deal with removing the old brake lines and transfer.
    If you do purchase the Stainless Steel lines, there is one item you will need from the V8 brake line, its the brake Junction that is attached to the frame of the car that sits right over the rear-end.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Unless you have a 8.8 rear, the rear lines will be bent a lot differently. The non gt cars had the same 9" drum brakes. Just seems like a ton of hassle to me.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    Unless you have a 8.8 rear, the rear lines will be bent a lot differently.
    I have the 8.8 rear from the '92 also. I'll just remove and replace everything to the '92 parts. At least I will know they all match.