Close

Default Another 1G to 3G question

Having bought and installed the 130A 3G alternator I'm now in the process of wiring it all together. If someone can supply it I'd like info on a few items that still bother me.
    1. Do you leave the old, external regulator in place and plugged up to the original harness?
    2. The original blk/org charging wire and the other org/blu wire from the original alternator that share a connector are no longer needed and can be tucked out of the way?
    3. The green wire on the new alternator regulator plug goes to switched 12VDC?
    4. Is the green wire on the original regulator by chance switched 12VDC?
    5. Since my car has the gauges in the dash, will the ammeter still function?

I think I understand pretty much everything else. Thanks for the input.
    1983 Mercury Capri, FPRP shorty headers, BBK H-pipe, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Lunati cam, stock 4180C carb, 4-spd SROD tranny. Pretty vanilla...

Quote Originally Posted by pavil58fep View Post
    Having bought and installed the 130A 3G alternator I'm now in the process of wiring it all together. If someone can supply it I'd like info on a few items that still bother me.
    1. Do you leave the old, external regulator in place and plugged up to the original harness?
    2. The original blk/org charging wire and the other org/blu wire from the original alternator that share a connector are no longer needed and can be tucked out of the way?
    3. The green wire on the new alternator regulator plug goes to switched 12VDC?
    4. Is the green wire on the original regulator by chance switched 12VDC?
    5. Since my car has the gauges in the dash, will the ammeter still function?

I think I understand pretty much everything else. Thanks for the input.
    I did mine 2 summers ago with a kit from LMR. If you bought a kit it should come with a dummy external regulator so you can keep the stock harness. The upgraded 3G alternator has an internal regulator so I do believe the original external regular has to be removed.

The ammeter wont be accurate, not that it ever was. I had my ammeter retrofit to be a Volt gauge and fit it into the stock cluster.