Close

Thread: Wipers

Default Wipers

Well today was a good day I hope. After having the wipers not shutting off at all except when I pull the fuse. I got up under the dash and trust me it wasn't easy I am husky guy and it was not fun but I did. I found a black box that plugs into the wiper motor harness. I think that this is the problem cause I put in a new motor and the whole wiper switch that is on the column but I still have the issuse. So this black little has a wire coming from it and it bolt to one of the bolts that hold this black box under the dash. My question is I have an 82 Capri and I have a buddy that has a 85 Mustang Gt can I use the one from the Mustang or do I need to stay with the same one that's in my car.
    ~LES~
    157 HP @ 4200 RPM
    240 ft/lb @ 2400 RPM

"Yeah Baby Feel That Pure Power"
    Capri:
    Is a Mustang With Hips And Class

The box in question is the interval wiper governor. Basically an electrical box that has all the relays, timers, etc that allow you to use the delay functions on the wiper stalk.

If the numbers on the box match, then you should be able to swap them without an issue. Even if they don't match they may still be the same. I believe the 83-86 cars used one box and the early cars used a different one, but I am not 100% on that. I believe the changes in the steering columns switches may have something to do with it, but again I have not completely researched it just trying to recall from memory.

You should also be able to pull the harness from the steering column off the box and the pigtail on the opposite side of the box and bypass the box by connecting directly from the column to the wipers. You will loose your delay functions, but you should have either 2 or 3 wiper speeds IIRC. This might help you determine if the box is the issue or you have a grounding/wiring issues elsewhere. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Trey I will try that! Electrical gremlins those are hard to find at least for me. I never done this before.
    ~LES~
    157 HP @ 4200 RPM
    240 ft/lb @ 2400 RPM

"Yeah Baby Feel That Pure Power"
    Capri:
    Is a Mustang With Hips And Class

Quote Originally Posted by 9DBlackMagic View Post
    Thanks Trey I will try that! Electrical gremlins those are hard to find at least for me. I never done this before.
    No problem! I understand electrical is one of my most hated issues with cars. I get so irritated fixing stuff like that, so I often just yank all of it out and rewire the whole car with a Ron Francis kit. Did that to my 79 PC and will do the same to my 82 GT. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Les, it could be the parking switch in the wiper motor gearbox.
    Its what tell the motor to stop at the bottom of the windshield.
    I hate under dash work too. My body is too old and too big.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A