Close

Default LED exterior light conversion

I replaced all the lights of the interior of my 84 convert last Autumn with LEDs, except for the console's warning center which I will get to.

I am now taking inventory of the exterior lights and I think I'm gonna switch all exterior lights to LED except the headlights.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the warning center lights are sensitive to the voltage difference in the LEDs and cause the warning lights to come on. If so is there a remedy for that? I'd like to go all LED but I don't want the console complaining I have dead lights that aren't dead.

A quick online search turned up others are using 50w 6 ohm led load resistors.
    Claim is this solves turn signal hyper flashing and light out warning errors in other cars.
    Lots of wiring diagrams, tips too.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    A quick online search turned up others are using 50w 6 ohm led load resistors.
    Claim is this solves turn signal hyper flashing and light out warning errors in other cars.
    Lots of wiring diagrams, tips too.
    I saw those load resistors on superbriteleds.com too. I would assume I'd need one on each bulbs line which would require 2 rear brake lights, 2 rear directional and 2 front directionals. that's 6 resistors I'd have to install and find room for. superbriteleds.com shows LED flashers but don't list one for my car.

Now I'm losing interest in doing this. I already have white LEDs for my license plate lights and they look great. Ill probably just put in backup lights and side markers and call it a day. Actually I already have side markers but they are white and they wash out the red and amber lens so I want to get red and amber markers.

I installed the led out from Fox Resto in my wife's 91 LX instrument panel. I had to leave one incandescent bulb in the battery light socket to keep enough of a voltage drop so the battery light doesn't come on.
    You might have to leave one exterior bulb in somewhere like a backup light to keep the warning center happy.

I have almost every bulb on my car converted to LED, and I don't have a single resistor. The key when doing the exterior lights is running a no-load flasher. They are cheap, mine were $12 each and i found them on Amazon. 1 for turn, 1 for hazard. Why Superbright doesn't carry them, i have no idea.

I don't have one of those console information centers to worry about though. I don't know how you get around that.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I have almost every bulb on my car converted to LED, and I don't have a single resistor. The key when doing the exterior lights is running a no-load flasher. They are cheap, mine were $12 each and i found them on Amazon. 1 for turn, 1 for hazard. Why Superbright doesn't carry them, i have no idea.

I don't have one of those console information centers to worry about though. I don't know how you get around that.
    can you post a link to the flasher you used? when I search on superbrightleds.com they don't show me a flasher compatible with my car.

The flashers may solve the fast flash issue but I don't think it will help suppress the console message center warning lights. if I do up the exterior laights Id have the use resistors for front and rear flashers and the brake lights. that's 6 resisters. I just don't know if its worth the headache to convert. Supposedly they get hot and have to be screwed into a safe location. Not much room anywhere for that I don't think.

Talking why supress info centre

Why would you supress the info centre?

If you put resistors in, then the lights on the info centre will never come on even if an LED light blows. If you don't like the info centre lights on, then just pull the bulbs.

Since my LED conversion, I just consider the info centre as telling me the lights are on. Pretty cool the way the brake lights light up the info centre.

I see a few no load flashers but a lot of them say they don't make the blinker sound. Im looking for one that still has the classic blinker sound.

Sorry, i forgot about this. Pretty sure this is the one i have. I'll double check when i get home. It does make the tick tick noise, but it's pretty quiet.

https://www.amazon.com/CEC-Industrie...o+load+flasher
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Sorry, i forgot about this. Pretty sure this is the one i have. I'll double check when i get home. It does make the tick tick noise, but it's pretty quiet.

https://www.amazon.com/CEC-Industrie...o+load+flasher
    some of the reviews on amazon are lukewarm about this flasher. Common complaint is it continues to flash 3 or 4 times after the directional is disengaged.

Any thoughts on this?