Close



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Is my engine stock?

    This is my first post and I am a complete noobie to thsese cars so sorry for the silly question. Anyway I recently bought a 1985 Mercury Capri RS with a 5l 5 speed and am very happy with it, however the engine dosnt look like any Foxbody engine I have seen. I am hoping one of you would be able to tell if it is the same engine it came with from the factory? Name:  IMG_0160.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  77.2 KB

  2. #2

    Default

    I can't speak to your specific car of course but that looks somewhat like a 1985 5.0 HO engine based on the picture. A true '85 5.0 engine would have had an aluminum intake with the Ford logo stamped in it. That may be the correct intake only painted blue, I can't say. It has had the smog pump removed and it did not come with those electric fans. It would have had a clutch-type fan and a different dual-snorkel air cleaner assembly on it. Also the engine would not have been blue from the factory so either someone has painted it in place or it has been rebuilt/replaced at some point. Your car appears to not have AC and that front engine dress would be correct for a car without AC as well. The valve covers would also be correct.
    Restoration of my 84 1/2 GT Turbo T Top:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=124724

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I can't speak to your specific car of course but that looks somewhat like a 1985 5.0 HO engine based on the picture. A true '85 5.0 engine would have had an aluminum intake with the Ford logo stamped in it. That may be the correct intake only painted blue, I can't say. It has had the smog pump removed and it did not come with those electric fans. It would have had a clutch-type fan and a different dual-snorkel air cleaner assembly on it. Also the engine would not have been blue from the factory so either someone has painted it in place or it has been rebuilt/replaced at some point. Your car appears to not have AC and that front engine dress would be correct for a car without AC as well. The valve covers would also be correct.
    Thank you very much! I have also found this stamp on the manifold although I doubt ot helps much.

    Name:  IMG_0155.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  46.4 KB

  4. #4
    FEP Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Correct intake , wrong carb
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

  5. #5

    Default

    As well, somebody put an Edelbrock/Carter carburetor on it.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1966 Ford Fairlane sedan
    1966 Ford Fairlane GT
    1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham
    1980 Capri RS Turbo
    1971 Mustang
    1974 Pontiac LeMans

  6. #6
    FEP Super Member bwguardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston (Clear Lake), Texas
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    There should be some numbers on that pad on the other side of the block. Those numbers will have some of the same information within the v.i.n. if you are wanting to know if it could be an original engine block to the car.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

    HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    There should be some numbers on that pad on the other side of the block. Those numbers will have some of the same information within the v.i.n. if you are wanting to know if it could be an original engine block to the car.
    I cant find any numbers on the other side besides an R stamped behind the valve cover.

  8. #8

    Default

    I have just found paper work from the previous owner who had it in for a wheel alignment, balancing and checking the timing. It lists the engine as a 5.0l V8 M OHV 4bbl but im not sure if that would just be going off the VIN number or not?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  9. #9

    Default

    Engine height looks correct for an 8.2 deck height block which is factory - motors like the 302 and 289 were 8.2.

    Modifications are very popular on Foxbody Mustangs and Capris. Impossible to know what it is internally without tearing it down and inspecting everything.

    You could pull a valve valve cover and see if there is evidence of aftermarket rockers, or springs, etc.

    If it's not broke, don't fix it. 302's usually run great with a properly sized and jetted AFB/Edelbrock carb.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Engine height looks correct for an 8.2 deck height block which is factory - motors like the 302 and 289 were 8.2.

    Modifications are very popular on Foxbody Mustangs and Capris. Impossible to know what it is internally without tearing it down and inspecting everything.

    You could pull a valve valve cover and see if there is evidence of aftermarket rockers, or springs, etc.

    If it's not broke, don't fix it. 302's usually run great with a properly sized and jetted AFB/Edelbrock carb.
    Ok, thanks for the input. The carb is a weber BTW although that probably dosn't matter.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 85CapriRS View Post
    ... however the engine dosnt look like any Foxbody engine I have seen....
    What about this small block Ford V8 does not look like any other Fox body engine you've seen? If you're used to looking at all the who-haw atop of the EFI engines, then I get it. Otherwise, the engine in your first photo up there is run-of-the-mill SBF fare.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1966 Ford Fairlane sedan
    1966 Ford Fairlane GT
    1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham
    1980 Capri RS Turbo
    1971 Mustang
    1974 Pontiac LeMans

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    What about this small block Ford V8 does not look like any other Fox body engine you've seen? If you're used to looking at all the who-haw atop of the EFI engines, then I get it. Otherwise, the engine in your first photo up there is run-of-the-mill SBF fare.
    I used to know a guy who had an 84 Mustang with a 5.0l however after looking at some pictures on the internet it was probably an EFI. My cousin also owns a fox however his engine looks nothing like mine and after asking he said it was heavily modded. I knew it was a Ford 302 but I wasnt sure if it was a mustang/capri 302 if that makes sense. I also didn't know if there would be a way of identifying it as being the original engine from the car like a VIN number.

  13. #13

    Default

    I believe Weber was contracted out to make the AFB style carb for Carter and then Edelbrock. Most everyone identifies them as the Carter AFB.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    I believe Weber was contracted out to make the AFB style carb for Carter and then Edelbrock. Most everyone identifies them as the Carter AFB.
    That makes sense. Like I said I'm a complete novice when it comes to these cars and their aftermarket parts.

  15. #15
    FEP Supporter cb84capri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    lansing, mi
    Posts
    4,467

    Default

    That is a non-a/c car from the factory. The heater hoses would have come out of the firewall behind the intake manifold if it had a/c. This is good because it makes changing a failed heater core a much easier job. That intake manifold has likely been off that engine as well - that is not a factory bolt in the picture. The engine code is the 8th character in your VIN, it tells you what engine the car left the assembly line with.

    Cale

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    That is a non-a/c car from the factory. The heater hoses would have come out of the firewall behind the intake manifold if it had a/c. This is good because it makes changing a failed heater core a much easier job. That intake manifold has likely been off that engine as well - that is not a factory bolt in the picture. The engine code is the 8th character in your VIN, it tells you what engine the car left the assembly line with.

    Cale
    I have the VIN number for the car and after typing it in to a decoder everything checks out. Its a 1985 Capri RS with a 5.0l H.O. 4bbl. I was hoping to find a VIN number on the block its self although I would probably have to take out the motor to see it, right?
    Thanks!

  17. #17
    FEP Power Member 306gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Plymouth, Ma.
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    The vin number should be right at the back of the intake manifold ON TOP OF THE BLOCK. you should see a pad on the drivers side with some numbers stamped in them. You may need to clean the pad with some sandpaper to read the numbers.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

    88 L.X. Hatch 5.0L H.O.
    5-speed. 13.41-102 mph on E.T. Streets winter beater

    1984 1/2 G.T. 350
    13.09-106 mph

    1979 Pace Pace car 2.3L Turbo (Daughter's Car)

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 306gt View Post
    The vin number should be right at the back of the intake manifold ON TOP OF THE BLOCK. you should see a pad on the drivers side with some numbers stamped in them. You may need to clean the pad with some sandpaper to read the numbers.
    Alright I will check when I get home. I also looked up that number on the manifold and it looks like its an 1984. Would that have something to do with what was mentioned above about the manifold's bolt? Or would it have been common to put an 84 manifold on later cars?

  19. #19
    FEP Super Member bwguardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston (Clear Lake), Texas
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 306gt View Post
    The vin number should be right at the back of the intake manifold ON TOP OF THE BLOCK. you should see a pad on the drivers side with some numbers stamped in them. You may need to clean the pad with some sandpaper to read the numbers.
    This is what I was talking about in my earlier post. It will not have the entire v.i.n. on the pad, but the numbers should match part of the v.i.n.


    Quote Originally Posted by 85CapriRS View Post
    Alright I will check when I get home. I also looked up that number on the manifold and it looks like its an 1984. Would that have something to do with what was mentioned above about the manifold's bolt? Or would it have been common to put an 84 manifold on later cars?
    Ford produced parts and implemented numbers for recognition. So the E4...1984...part number was utilized for several makes and/or year models.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

    HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride

  20. #20

    Default

    Just checked and still cant find anything. I cant even find the flat pad the numbers would be on. Thanks for all the help though! I think I would probably have to take out the motor to see it.
    Name:  IMG_0088.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  48.5 KB
    This is all I can see looking behind it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 85CapriRS; 03-25-2017 at 03:04 PM.

  21. #21

    Default

    It's on the flat part of the block between the center of the bellhousing, the other numbers are usually right near the starter on a flat spot between freeze plugs if I remember right.

    Bell housing shouldn't be blue. I'd say its pretty likely the engine and trans have been out before, but it's a 30+ year old car and mustang get beat on and modified alot.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    It's on the flat part of the block between the center of the bellhousing, the other numbers are usually right near the starter on a flat spot between freeze plugs if I remember right.

    Bell housing shouldn't be blue. I'd say its pretty likely the engine and trans have been out before, but it's a 30+ year old car and mustang get beat on and modified alot.
    Name:  rsz_20170326_131428.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  89.8 KB

    This is on the block just above the bell housing but I still cant see or feel any numbers.

  23. #23
    FEP Power Member xctasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dunedin 9011, New Zealand, South Pacific
    Posts
    1,979

    Default

    Hmmm, your engine is the same color as BTD's 83 engine.


    From personal experience, its like looking for chassis buck codes or finding the chassis catwalk horns; you have to look in the right place. A miss is truly a mile...you might as well be in Peru...



    Quote Originally Posted by awakened View Post
    I took the intake off of my 86 GT convertible and when I looked at the spot where I thought the VIN number should be on the block I see this. A partial "1" and a "9". I do not have a "9" or a "6" in my VIN.
    Attachment 96956
    Does anyone know what this means? Is this a replacement block? Why isn't there at least the wrong VIN there? Assuming it's not the original block, how would I determine what it is or what it was from?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
    awakened was expection some combination of his VIN, which should have been M 271250 in his case.


    First, use some solvent and a tooth brush to clear 32 years of dirt and grime from the exact spot.


    Sometimes, the indentations require Magnaflux to determine, or dye penetrate, or blacklight or even X ray.

    There is a date code as well as the partial VIN. Sometimes you see that, and not the partial VIN.

    The date code might have 9's look like 6's. 0's look like 6's and 9's. If you can't find the first letter, or you can't find the first number, you might have a shallow indentation block.


    I'm an ex Lab Technician. Any ASME approved Non Detructive Test Technician can find your actual VIN code even if its been ground off. The science of checking removed or defaced engine numbers been done for a long time...




    Now, an important question. Since Canadian blocks would be more likely to be damaged by freeze thaw


    or replaced with a Mexican Ford Remanufactored HO block, what color would the replacement be?






    Were Canadian service replacement blocks and heads painted early Ford blue?
    Last edited by xctasy; 03-26-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    Ethyl Cat:-"The thing that really prohibits people from EFI is knowledge and fear. If you are not comfortable with engine sensors and electricity, EFI is not for you. If you are.... jump in, the water is fine! "
    JPS Mustang http://www.nzmustang.com/Images/Hist...cecars/jps.htm
    JPS Experience https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqk18A-ibjA
    My 1st Fox http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1722961
    6VI6's @http://www.xecltd.info/default.html
    NZ Mustangs 247... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcf6UYVKbGo
    125 mph 84 5.0 at Lakeside, 155 at Bathurst https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUyM-xqG8M8

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Hmmm, your engine is the same color as BTD's 83 engine.


    From personal experience, its like looking for chassis buck codes or finding the chassis catwalk horns; you have to look in the right place. A miss is truly a mile...you might as well be in Peru...





    awakened was expection some combination of his VIN, which should have been M 271250 in his case.


    First, use some solvent and a tooth brush to clear 32 years of dirt and grime from the exact spot.


    Sometimes, the indentations require Magnaflux to determine, or dye penetrate, or blacklight or even X ray.

    There is a date code as well as the partial VIN. Sometimes you see that, and not the partial VIN.

    The date code might have 9's look like 6's. 0's look like 6's and 9's. If you can't find the first letter, or you can't find the first number, you might have a shallow indentation block.


    I'm an ex Lab Technician. Any ASME approved Non Detructive Test Technician can find your actual VIN code even if its been ground off. The science of checking removed or defaced engine numbers been done for a long time...




    Now, an important question. Since Canadian blocks would be more likely to be damaged by freeze thaw


    or replaced with a Mexican Ford Remanufactored HO block, what color would the replacement be?






    Were Canadian service replacement blocks and heads painted early Ford blue?
    The spot in my picture should be generally where it is though right? I will try and clean it like you said, right now it is pretty dirty but I assumed the numbers would be fairly prominent.

    The original car was supposedly white but it has been painted blue. Not sure how common it would be to paint the engine as well though.

  25. #25
    FEP Power Member xctasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dunedin 9011, New Zealand, South Pacific
    Posts
    1,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 85CapriRS View Post
    The spot in my picture should be generally where it is though right? I will try and clean it like you said, right now it is pretty dirty but I assumed the numbers would be fairly prominent.

    The original car was supposedly white but it has been painted blue. Not sure how common it would be to paint the engine as well though.
    I had pain and anguish everywhere. You don't want to screw up yor Pony, but dang, its hard to get the numbers exposed at times.

    Non Stock Repainting? Its V-E-R-Y common and creates a lot of issues trying to establish its history. When I studied in line sixes, in 9 years, every low mount big bellhousing block I saw had been painted; They were never painted from factory except the rocker and oil pan. I've only seen two standard 1982 blocks on the net, and the other six were painted black, red or a non standard shade of Ford blue. FTSU = **** The Sys' UP


    Seams like every one hates the stock un-painted, rusted post 1981 Ford block


    Oh and "I assumed the numbers would be fairly prominent"


    Yeah me too. But I had to really work it to find mine.


    my partial VIN was BR101037

    Detail is Stamp2, DateO116Y, Small Code 2J213, Engine No BR101037.


    All over the show, like a bunch of engravers having an argument...





    Once I had that, I checked the catwalk frame horn under the gaurd/hood shut line by pulling a passenger side front wheel, the plastic liner, and then went about photoing it with a mirror, and then flipping it in Paint


    No B this time, but R101037 again, but it takes effort to see it...



    Hard work finding just those two matches, and then there was the buck code which I couldn't find at all....
    Last edited by xctasy; 03-26-2017 at 06:58 PM.
    Ethyl Cat:-"The thing that really prohibits people from EFI is knowledge and fear. If you are not comfortable with engine sensors and electricity, EFI is not for you. If you are.... jump in, the water is fine! "
    JPS Mustang http://www.nzmustang.com/Images/Hist...cecars/jps.htm
    JPS Experience https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqk18A-ibjA
    My 1st Fox http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1722961
    6VI6's @http://www.xecltd.info/default.html
    NZ Mustangs 247... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcf6UYVKbGo
    125 mph 84 5.0 at Lakeside, 155 at Bathurst https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUyM-xqG8M8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •