Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 85CapriRS View Post
    The spot in my picture should be generally where it is though right? I will try and clean it like you said, right now it is pretty dirty but I assumed the numbers would be fairly prominent.

The original car was supposedly white but it has been painted blue. Not sure how common it would be to paint the engine as well though.
    I had pain and anguish everywhere. You don't want to screw up yor Pony, but dang, its hard to get the numbers exposed at times.

Non Stock Repainting? Its V-E-R-Y common and creates a lot of issues trying to establish its history. When I studied in line sixes, in 9 years, every low mount big bellhousing block I saw had been painted; They were never painted from factory except the rocker and oil pan. I've only seen two standard 1982 blocks on the net, and the other six were painted black, red or a non standard shade of Ford blue. FTSU = **** The Sys' UP

Seams like every one hates the stock un-painted, rusted post 1981 Ford block

Oh and "I assumed the numbers would be fairly prominent"

Yeah me too. But I had to really work it to find mine.

my partial VIN was BR101037

Detail is Stamp2, DateO116Y, Small Code 2J213, Engine No BR101037.

All over the show, like a bunch of engravers having an argument...

Once I had that, I checked the catwalk frame horn under the gaurd/hood shut line by pulling a passenger side front wheel, the plastic liner, and then went about photoing it with a mirror, and then flipping it in Paint

No B this time, but R101037 again, but it takes effort to see it...

Hard work finding just those two matches, and then there was the buck code which I couldn't find at all....

Block stamping is by no means an exact science. Light stamps, double stamps, etc. These were stamped by hand by people who were more worried about what was for dinner that night than whether or not we'd be able to decipher their work 30 years on.

As far as service blocks, not sure how it happened in Canada, but in the U.S. service blocks were bare iron AFAIK. Anyone who worked as a tech at a Ford dealer back in the 80's can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen several NOS warranty 302 roller blocks through the years and not a lick of paint anywhere.

Mine have usually been a light grey, same color as the oil pan.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

There is blue overspray all over the bellhousing. I doubt that engine was originally painted blue, it looks like it was shot in the engine bay. Most of the block stamps I have seen from that era are extremely half assed and barely legible. You can also try to find the engineering code on the block near the starter. If it is anything after E5 (1985), you know it isn't original.

Cale

For the record since my engine was mentioned - My engine has never been removed from the vehicle. It has the correct 83 Intake, and the block bears the correct vin.

This has been verified both by haggerty and by my local Ford Dealer Stockfish Ford.

It's also blue, and no it doesn't have any overspray. (You'd see it easy since the car still has the original oil based road abrasion coating, which is black)
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

The engine from my 84 was blue, however it has been apart and rebuilt at some point. I just figured someone sprayed it blue while it was out. It'll be a dark blood red this time around so no worries.
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

Looks pretty close to my 83 Capri. Your carb and the lack of the cooling fan are differences. Also the air pump is gone. I'd guess it's original for the most part.
    1983 Mercury Capri, FPRP shorty headers, BBK H-pipe, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Lunati cam, stock 4180C carb, 4-spd SROD tranny. Pretty vanilla...

Thanks again for everyone who has commented, I believe I have finally found the VIN number on my engine. It is however very hard to read and I cant make out the numbers very well. I will probably try to chalk it tonight to hopefully bring the numbers out a bit better.

Name:  Kayden Phone 294.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  55.4 KB

Here is what it looks like after the chalk.

Name:  Kayden Phone 876.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  67.9 KB

It looks like it could match up with the second half of the VIN numbers under my windshield that reads FF611439. What do you guys think?

Yah you got the FF then a half of a 6, then a 1, a 1/4 of another 1, then a 4 , cant read the last two.
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI

Quote Originally Posted by BTD View Post
    Yah you got the FF then a half of a 6, then a 1, a 1/4 of another 1, then a 4 , cant read the last two.
    I think the last two numbers match. In the first picture I took you can see the bottom of the 3 and very faintly the top of it. The 9 is even harder to see but the bottom hook of it is fairly distinguishable.

Anyway if the VIN numbers match I would assume this is the block my car came out of Dearborn with. I had heard >1985 foxbody's had slightly different engine internals (175-210hp). Plus it's always good to have a engine that matches the car

Yah I'd say that's the original engine for sure. Welcome to the Blue engine club from the factory. Shhh though, we don't really exist.
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI

Another Blue engined 83.

Ex Canada (where the Ford Australia team was tied into for imports)

Maybee its a Canuck thing?

Quote Originally Posted by PON13 View Post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12