Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have a set too...hmmm. When I do the 5-lug conversion, I'll have to bolt 'em up and see how I like them.
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

thought I would report on the headway made the last couple of days. The dash, seats, carpet, and most of the stuff under the hood are out of the wagon. Ive also got all of the above mentioned parts out of the SVO. I've included pictures so ya'll can see the progress.
    Ive got some decisions to make such as wiring harness. I'm leaning toward using the whole SVO harness but there are some issues.
    1) SVO has 2 headlights while the wagon has 4. Haven't done a search yet to see how to adapt the headlight harness but don't think that it can be that hard.
    2) SVO has power windows and locks and the wagon does not. I'm thinking to leave the door harnesses off the wagon and just let the pigtails and plugs on the main harness hang.
    3)I've included pics of both transmission tunnels. The SVO has a hump on top of the tunnel where the shifter goes. has anyone ever removed this hump and reinstalled on a car without it? The SVO's trans tunnel was cut at the factory then the shifter hump installed. Cant tell if it is held on by anything other than the factory sound deadening.
    any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    WarrenName:  20170516_124100.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  402.6 KBName:  20170516_124402.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  100.4 KBName:  20170516_124451.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  120.9 KBName:  ltd 1.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  120.7 KBName:  LTD.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  85.9 KB
    Warren:
    84 SVO 2A
    84 LTD/SVO 9L
    86 SVO 1C
    88 LX 5.0 1D
    90 GT MM/YJ
    2/84, 85, 86 SVO's Parts cars/no-run

Yeah, definitely swap harnesses. You'll be glad you did. Wiring differences are not too bad to deal with.

That tunnel can be swapped over. I think it's spot welded in. That said, you don't NEED need it. My car doesn't have one. My shifter sticks up out of the floor kinda funny, but the consoles hides that anyway.

And hey, I found out today that I still have my Mark VII rear cables. You can have them for shipping cost if you want. They're practically new, and there's even a spare.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I'm pretty sure the SVO console won't fit properly without the hump.

Mike

I put the svo rims on my wagon ....look very nice but had to put a few steering stops in as i peeled off a few wheel weights.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    I'm pretty sure the SVO console won't fit properly without the hump.

Mike
    Who needs the console to fit properly?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FOX4EVER View Post
    1) SVO has 2 headlights while the wagon has 4. Haven't done a search yet to see how to adapt the headlight harness but don't think that it can be that hard.
    There are wiring kits on the intarwebs that allow you to feed voltage to the headlights directly from the battery (through relays triggered by the stock wiring harness), so you get better voltage to the bulbs. You could use that type of setup to address your 2-to-4 headlight situation. Here's an example. (I have no experience with that vendor / brand, I'm just linking that as an example of what I'm referring to. I used a similar type of harness to bump up to high wattage bulbs on one of my cars, works quite nicely.) Note that they have a wiring diagram in that listing, so you could buy some relays and bulb connectors and build your own setup based on that diagram.

I will gladly take the Mark VII ebrake cables. Very nice of you to offer them. Haven't pm on the forum yet but will try to get you my address and let me know about the shipping so I can pay you.
    Warren:
    84 SVO 2A
    84 LTD/SVO 9L
    86 SVO 1C
    88 LX 5.0 1D
    90 GT MM/YJ

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    There are wiring kits on the intarwebs that allow you to feed voltage to the headlights directly from the battery (through relays triggered by the stock wiring harness), so you get better voltage to the bulbs. You could use that type of setup to address your 2-to-4 headlight situation. Here's an example. (I have no experience with that vendor / brand, I'm just linking that as an example of what I'm referring to. I used a similar type of harness to bump up to high wattage bulbs on one of my cars, works quite nicely.) Note that they have a wiring diagram in that listing, so you could buy some relays and bulb connectors and build your own setup based on that diagram.
    Thanks for the info. I have seen similar setups for mustangs and thought that would be the route to take but is nice to here I am on the right track. I am not an electrician but I'm not scared to try. I bypassed the light switch power on an F350 direct to a relay and it helped immensely. It was also many moons ago. Lol
    Warren:
    84 SVO 2A
    84 LTD/SVO 9L
    86 SVO 1C
    88 LX 5.0 1D
    90 GT MM/YJ

Well its been a few weeks since I've posted anything on the SVO/LTD. I got everything stripped out of the engine bay and got it sanded, cleaned, primed, and painted. I'm not doing a total restoration so I'm pleased with the results. Also I got my ebrake cables on but ran into a problem with the cable mount at the front of the rear cables. The factory mounts were about 2inches to far to the rear of the car. I scraped up some scrap steel and fabricated my own. I haven't mounted them but that will be happening soon. I disassembled the HVAC box cleaned everything tested the evap and heater core and reassembled it. things are slowly coming along and I am pleased with everything so far. Ill start putting all the parts back on the firewall both inside and out soon. I have decided to keep the blue interior instead of going with the Dark Charcoal/SVO color. I am going to color change the SVO dash and console to the blue and freshen all the interior plastic back to the original blue. All the carpet both front and rear and the door panels and seats are in really good shape and will just need cleaning.Name:  20170607_153519.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  112.1 KB
    Warren:
    84 SVO 2A
    84 LTD/SVO 9L
    86 SVO 1C
    88 LX 5.0 1D
    90 GT MM/YJ

Ok, a little update. Thanks to member ZephyrEFI (Thanks for the Mark VII cables) I have gotten my E-brakes hooked up. No final adjustment yet but hopefully that won't be to big of an issue. Also I have the brake lines run and just waiting on the brake booster to get painted and then booster and master cylinder will be ready to install.
    Now to my problem:
    I am having to redo the fuel system in the wagon. I have a new tank as the old one was full of rust. The old sending unit/pump is very rusty and nasty. I have been searching for the wagon unit to no avail. I would even take a digital dash sending unit but no luck there either. A sedan unit will not work without a lot of modification with rubber fuel line and then might be a little iffy. Thus my problem. What to do? What to do? Suggestion and solutions would be greatly appreciated.
    Warren:
    84 SVO 2A
    84 LTD/SVO 9L
    86 SVO 1C
    88 LX 5.0 1D
    90 GT MM/YJ

Work on the LTD/SVO is coming along slowly. Ya'll know how it is with work, family, and other obligations!
    Anyway here is an update:
    Got the under hood headed in the right direction. Took the wiring harness out of the SVO and cleaned it and rewrapped it in places that needed it. Wasn't to bad and turned out nicely.Name:  20170703_181739.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  86.3 KB
    Next I have removed the K-member from the SVO and installed it in the Wagon. It was time consuming getting it squared and bolted down but in the long run should be worth it. I followed the instructions on Maximum Motorsports web site to square the k-member.Name:  20170703_181711.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  100.5 KB
    Mr next project was to get the fuel system ready. The wagons fuel tank was toast. It was full of rust and gunk. After a try at cleaning it out I realized it wasn't worth it. I found a new tank online and ordered it. the tank got here and was a perfect replacement. The problem was the pump and sending unit assembly. They are no longer available as production ended years ago and in spite of searching for days no one has them any longer. Finally I got one for a sedan and had to cut it and alter the return line and sending unit float to work with the wagon tank. finally got that done today and installed in the tank. Now I'm waiting on the fuel filler neck donut to get here so I can install the tank in the car. I removed the complete fuel line assembly front to rear from the SVO and have installed it in the wagon. I was concerned that the lines would be to short since the wagons wheelbase is 5 inches longer but they went right in and fit perfectly.Name:  20170705_115016.jpg
Size:  115.5 KBName:  20170710_133144.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  44.1 KB
    Sorry about the pics. don't know why they turned sideways. LOL
    Last edited by FOX4EVER; 07-10-2017 at 05:22 PM.
    Warren:
    84 SVO 2A
    84 LTD/SVO 9L
    86 SVO 1C
    88 LX 5.0 1D
    90 GT MM/YJ

This is a cool build.........Thumbs up!!!

Good to see things moving along! That's sweet you were able to make the sedan sending unit work.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Subscribing. I had a '84 SVO years ago. It to was really rusty, cowl was shot. Sold it for $600, and I too am still kicking myself for it.

I thought it would be really cool to get a pre 1995 4 cylinder Ranger and swap the SVO stuff into it. Of course those are all rusted out around here too.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Work on the LTD/SVO is coming along slowly. Ya'll know how it is with work, family, and other obligations!
    Anyway here is an update:
    Got the under hood headed in the right direction. Took the wiring harness out of the SVO and cleaned it and rewrapped it in places that needed it. Wasn't to bad and turned out nicely.Name:  20170703_181739.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  86.3 KB
    Next I have removed the K-member from the SVO and installed it in the Wagon. It was time consuming getting it squared and bolted down but in the long run should be worth it. I followed the instructions on Maximum Motorsports web site to square the k-member.Name:  20170703_181711.jpg
Size:  100.5 KB
    Mr next project was to get the fuel system ready. The wagons fuel tank was toast. It was full of rust and gunk. After a try at cleaning it out I realized it wasn't worth it. I found a new tank online and ordered it. the tank got here and was a perfect replacement. The problem was the pump and sending unit assembly. They are no longer available as production ended years ago and in spite of searching for days no one has them any longer. Finally I got one for a sedan and had to cut it and alter the return line and sending unit float to work with the wagon tank. finally got that done today and installed in the tank. Now I'm waiting on the fuel filler neck donut to get here so I can install the tank in the car. I removed the complete fuel line assembly front to rear from the SVO and have installed it in the wagon. I was concerned that the lines would be to short since the wagons wheelbase is 5 inches longer but they went right in and fit perfectly.Name:  20170705_115016.jpg
Size:  115.5 KBName:  20170710_133144.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  44.1 KB
    Sorry about the pics. don't know why they turned sideways. LOL
    That all looks so familiar! Great build. I am surprised about the fuel lines. From what I've heard with 5.0 swaps you have to lengthen. Might be different with a 2.3 turbo setup. Keep the info and pics coming. Restomod alternative foxes are awesome! Really like what you're doing there and completely understand about family obligations, etc.

Ok, its been a while since I posted about my LTD/SVO build. A job change then back to my old job at Road Atlanta. Finally have time to work on the wagon. I have pulled the engine/trans out of the SVO. Stripped the engine done to the longblock and am now getting it ready to paint. The engine looks good internally. I cranked and ran the engine while it was still in the SVO. Seemed to run good so i should be good to go. I will try to post pics in the near future when time permits. Work in the immediate future will focus on wiring in relays and headlight plugs for the change to 4 headlights. There is also plenty of wiring changes for the fuel pumps and taillights but that should be fairly straight forward. Also will be mocking up the FMIC and piping for it. The interior plastic is getting refreshed in blue and I’m changing the SVO dash to blue with Dark Charcoal inserts. Im reflocking the inserts in my black 86 SVO so I thought I would do these too.
    Warren:
    84 SVO 2A
    84 LTD/SVO 9L
    86 SVO 1C
    88 LX 5.0 1D
    90 GT MM/YJ

Default LTD/SVO build continues

Ok, its been a while since I posted about my LTD/SVO build. A job change then back to my old job at Road Atlanta. Finally have time to work on the wagon. I have pulled the engine/trans out of the SVO. Stripped the engine done to the longblock and am now getting it ready to paint. The engine looks good internally. I cranked and ran the engine while it was still in the SVO. Seemed to run good so i should be good to go. I will try to post pics in the near future when time permits. Work in the immediate future will focus on wiring in relays and headlight plugs for the change to 4 headlights. There is also plenty of wiring changes for the fuel pumps and taillights but that should be fairly straight forward. Also will be mocking up the FMIC and piping for it. The interior plastic is getting refreshed in blue and I’m changing the SVO dash to blue with Dark Charcoal inserts. Im reflocking the inserts in my black 86 SVO so I thought I would do these too.
    Warren:
    84 SVO 2A
    84 LTD/SVO 9L
    86 SVO 1C
    88 LX 5.0 1D
    90 GT MM/YJ

Glad to hear you are back on your project!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Default 84 LTD/SVO progress

I have the interior completely out. going to insulate the floorboard and roof. The old headliner board is in ruff shape so I'm looking for alternatives. Suggestions welcome! Re-flocked the dash panels today. pleased with how they turned out. Tomorrow I'll start cleaning and dyeing the interior panels. Plenty to do there.Name:  IMG_1858.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  104.8 KBName:  IMG_1859.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  134.6 KB
    Warren:
    84 SVO 2A
    84 LTD/SVO 9L
    86 SVO 1C
    88 LX 5.0 1D
    90 GT MM/YJ

Default 84 LTD/SVO progress

[attach]121910[attach]121911[/attachName:  IMG_1886.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  127.0 KBName:  IMG_1881.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  92.7 KBName:  IMG_1884.jpg
Size:  96.4 KBName:  IMG_1854.jpg
Size:  106.9 KB
    I'm Making progress. I've come across an 88 Turbo Coupe motor and due to the low miles and completeness I'm going to put my T3 on it and use it. I have completed the cargo area with dyeing the trim and carpets. I included a before of some of the trim for comparison. I'm pleased with the outcome since this is going to be a daily driver/shop wagon. I've replaced the headlight with LEDs and wired in Relays so that the light switch will get some relief. I'm going total LEDs so I'm having to check polarity on all the lights as I put them in. The intercooler is hung now on to piping. Not much room for the intercooler but its in there. Still plenty to do. Next up is cutting a hole for the shifter and installing the hump for it. Then the dash and all its wiring.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Warren:
    84 SVO 2A
    84 LTD/SVO 9L
    86 SVO 1C
    88 LX 5.0 1D
    90 GT MM/YJ

FEP Supporter

Your cargo area looks great!

I'm following along with your progress so keep it up! One day I will find a donor car and do something similar with a spare drive train I have!

FEP Senior Member

Looks good and I like the project. Would you mind sharing where you sourced the dye for the blue panels and how close of a match it is to stock?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Coming along!

It's funny looking back at this build since I just installed that hump in mine a few weeks ago. And there I was telling you you don't need it. You can get them new from LMR if you don't want to wrestle the SVO's out.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Great progress, car looks awesome so far!

I had bought this ABS roof liner board on amazon last year, I haven't recovered it yet but I am happy with it. - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...00#post1869200

What are you planning on using to insulate your roof? I have been trying to figure out whats the best way myself.

I have the interior completely out. going to insulate the floorboard and roof. The old headliner board is in ruff shape so I'm looking for alternatives. Suggestions welcome! Re-flocked the dash panels today. pleased with how they turned out. Tomorrow I'll start cleaning and dyeing the interior panels. Plenty to do there.Name:  IMG_1858.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  104.8 KBName:  IMG_1859.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  134.6 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast