Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have a set too...hmmm. When I do the 5-lug conversion, I'll have to bolt 'em up and see how I like them.
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

thought I would report on the headway made the last couple of days. The dash, seats, carpet, and most of the stuff under the hood are out of the wagon. Ive also got all of the above mentioned parts out of the SVO. I've included pictures so ya'll can see the progress.
    Ive got some decisions to make such as wiring harness. I'm leaning toward using the whole SVO harness but there are some issues.
    1) SVO has 2 headlights while the wagon has 4. Haven't done a search yet to see how to adapt the headlight harness but don't think that it can be that hard.
    2) SVO has power windows and locks and the wagon does not. I'm thinking to leave the door harnesses off the wagon and just let the pigtails and plugs on the main harness hang.
    3)I've included pics of both transmission tunnels. The SVO has a hump on top of the tunnel where the shifter goes. has anyone ever removed this hump and reinstalled on a car without it? The SVO's trans tunnel was cut at the factory then the shifter hump installed. Cant tell if it is held on by anything other than the factory sound deadening.
    any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    WarrenName:  20170516_124100.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  402.6 KBName:  20170516_124402.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  100.4 KBName:  20170516_124451.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  120.9 KBName:  ltd 1.jpg
Size:  120.7 KBName:  LTD.jpg
Size:  85.9 KB
    Warren:
    84 SVO 2A
    84 LTD/SVO 9L
    86 SVO 1C
    88 LX 5.0 1D
    90 GT MM/YJ
    2/84, 85, 86 SVO's Parts cars/no-run

Yeah, definitely swap harnesses. You'll be glad you did. Wiring differences are not too bad to deal with.

That tunnel can be swapped over. I think it's spot welded in. That said, you don't NEED need it. My car doesn't have one. My shifter sticks up out of the floor kinda funny, but the consoles hides that anyway.

And hey, I found out today that I still have my Mark VII rear cables. You can have them for shipping cost if you want. They're practically new, and there's even a spare.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI T-5 (Mustang LWB)
    '17 Ford Transit Connect Titanium LWB
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I'm pretty sure the SVO console won't fit properly without the hump.

Mike
    1985 ascMcLaren 5.0 SC Roadster
    My '78 Fairmont build - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...539-78-Big-Red

I put the svo rims on my wagon ....look very nice but had to put a few steering stops in as i peeled off a few wheel weights.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    I'm pretty sure the SVO console won't fit properly without the hump.

Mike
    Who needs the console to fit properly?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI T-5 (Mustang LWB)
    '17 Ford Transit Connect Titanium LWB
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by FOX4EVER View Post
    1) SVO has 2 headlights while the wagon has 4. Haven't done a search yet to see how to adapt the headlight harness but don't think that it can be that hard.
    There are wiring kits on the intarwebs that allow you to feed voltage to the headlights directly from the battery (through relays triggered by the stock wiring harness), so you get better voltage to the bulbs. You could use that type of setup to address your 2-to-4 headlight situation. Here's an example. (I have no experience with that vendor / brand, I'm just linking that as an example of what I'm referring to. I used a similar type of harness to bump up to high wattage bulbs on one of my cars, works quite nicely.) Note that they have a wiring diagram in that listing, so you could buy some relays and bulb connectors and build your own setup based on that diagram.

I will gladly take the Mark VII ebrake cables. Very nice of you to offer them. Haven't pm on the forum yet but will try to get you my address and let me know about the shipping so I can pay you.
    Warren:
    84 SVO 2A
    84 LTD/SVO 9L
    86 SVO 1C
    88 LX 5.0 1D
    90 GT MM/YJ

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    There are wiring kits on the intarwebs that allow you to feed voltage to the headlights directly from the battery (through relays triggered by the stock wiring harness), so you get better voltage to the bulbs. You could use that type of setup to address your 2-to-4 headlight situation. Here's an example. (I have no experience with that vendor / brand, I'm just linking that as an example of what I'm referring to. I used a similar type of harness to bump up to high wattage bulbs on one of my cars, works quite nicely.) Note that they have a wiring diagram in that listing, so you could buy some relays and bulb connectors and build your own setup based on that diagram.
    Thanks for the info. I have seen similar setups for mustangs and thought that would be the route to take but is nice to here I am on the right track. I am not an electrician but I'm not scared to try. I bypassed the light switch power on an F350 direct to a relay and it helped immensely. It was also many moons ago. Lol
    Warren:
    84 SVO 2A
    84 LTD/SVO 9L
    86 SVO 1C
    88 LX 5.0 1D
    90 GT MM/YJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12