Close

Default How to Replace Door Map Pockets

I tackled the door map pockets today. It is a '92 not a Four Eye but I am sure they are the same process. A lot of the convertibles have them and the '85 and '86 cars did too. It turned out to be more of a project than I thought, but what else is new? Yes there is a LMR video of supposedly how to install these but they conveniently leave out the most difficult part of the entire install. So hopefully this could save you some time replacing yours.
    The door panel removal is pretty self-explanatory and straightforward.

What I started with:

OEM plastic is still in place:

New VS Old. I didn't realize how bad the old one was. You can see it was actually CLOSING in the DOOR jamb, LOL

The OEM ones are obviously a better design:

Here is where the wheels come off the rails, LOL. The replacements have a thinner metal and it’s a WAY different design. I struggled trying to hold all 18 of these together and push them through without the ones that were already through coming back out. What a giant PITA.

This was my solution. .30 cents worth of ugly wire ties I had no use for. Let me say, it worked like a CHAMP!

Last edited by homer302; 03-19-2017 at 08:47 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Excellent. Thanks. Coincidentally, I have a set of titanium map pockets awaiting install on my '92.

I too have a 92 awaiting titanium map pocket replacement, thanks for the write up!

Wife's 91 has titanium interior too. Put the map pocket delete panels on instead. They installed the same way as the pockets.

I had to be 13 when my dad and I fixed the map pockets on the '85. We actually just pulled the white elastic you see sticking out tighter and that's held up quite good so far. I don't use the pockets, but they aren't falling down. I wonder if that elastic can be used to feed a new band of elastic through?

Nice fix though! Match is perfect. Those metal tabs would have driven me nuts.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

I kept the old ones and that is exactly my plan. I want to get that elastic replaced and see how it turns out. If it looks good, I have a perfect set of OEM ones to sell.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Looks great. Thanks for the tip on the wire ties!

Good deal, thanks for sharing. My Son's 90 convertible has the issue that someone tried to fix by adding more of the snap buttons. Besides them being chrome and not matching the original black button, they pull out of the material if you unsnap them.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home