Close

Default 87-93 brake upgrade

hello fellow members I have a friend that is going to give me a the brakes off his 91 lx. What do I need to do this swap? I have been reading different things and a little confused. Oh I have a 82 Capri with the 5.0. I would love to do the 5 lug but no funds for it and I can't pass up free.
    Last edited by 9DBlackMagic; 03-19-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    ~LES~
    157 HP @ 4200 RPM
    240 ft/lb @ 2400 RPM

"Yeah Baby Feel That Pure Power"
    Capri:
    Is a Mustang With Hips And Class

Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by 9DBlackMagic View Post
    hello fellow members I have a friend that is going to give me a the brakes off his 91 lx. What do I need to do this swap? I have been reading different things and a little confused. Oh I have a 82 Capri with the 5.0. I would love to do the 5 lug but no funds for it and I can't pass up free.
    Les,
    My 20th has the 87+ fronts on her.
    Old stuff out:

New(er) stuff in:

Installed:

This build was unique as I was collecting the parts while Mike (at6SVO) was doing the tear down and assembly when I gave him parts. Eibach Sportline springs with Energy Suspension isolators were installed at the same time. Stainless front brake lines installed also. Cheap, easy front upgrade with option to move into 5 lug by using Lincoln front rotors.......

Best of luck.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Oh ok cool thank you so much Jack Hidley and Conmech for the info.
    Last edited by 9DBlackMagic; 03-20-2017 at 04:56 AM.
    ~LES~
    157 HP @ 4200 RPM
    240 ft/lb @ 2400 RPM

Capri:

I have read about and adapter of some sort that goes between the hard line and rubber hose cause the hard line is smaller the the rubber hose. Is this true?
    ~LES~
    157 HP @ 4200 RPM
    240 ft/lb @ 2400 RPM

Capri:

I didn't need an adapter for the 87 brakes I installed on my 83L. I did have to do a little file work on the hose brackets to fit the 87 rubber lines though.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Oh right on thanks mustangxtreme for the info also.
    ~LES~
    157 HP @ 4200 RPM
    240 ft/lb @ 2400 RPM

Capri:

Please don't take offense to this as none is intended. It seems like you maybe are a little inexperienced with these so that is the reason I just want to make sure that the 91 LX your friend is giving you IS a 5.0 LX, not a 2.3 LX, correct? It would have to have been an original 5.0 car for this to give you any advantage over what you already have. Just want to be sure is all! Good luck with your project. I swapped out the whole crossmember when I did mine with the control arms, sway bars and struts all still attached. It wasn't too bad and we did it in the driveway in 1 day.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Hey don't worry I'm not offended what so ever ��. And yes it is a 5.0 lx. I knew what brakes to get its just I was reading about this adapter the they used in the middle of both lines and was a little hesitate. This is my only car and I just want to make sure that I have everything before I start tearing apart and find out that I need something and having no way of getting it.
    ~LES~
    157 HP @ 4200 RPM
    240 ft/lb @ 2400 RPM

Capri:

hi there, im in the process of the same swap on my 86, does anyone know if i can use my 86 caliper bolts on the 87+ calipers?

No.

See post #2.
    Jack Hidley

me again, so 2 things, having a real hard time separating the spindle from the ball joint, any ideas? and the brake line brackets are completely different, whatd you guys do regarding the brackets?
    thanks so much in advance

Loosen the ball joint nuts a couple of turns. Remove the outer tie rod from the spindle. Turn the strut and spindle so that you can get to the backside of the spindle. Get a 5 or 10lbs hammer. Hit the spindle just below the tip of the ball joint stud very hard. There is a square pad forged into the spindle to hit. The ball joint will then pop out of the spindle.

You can file out the ID of the hole in the brake hose brackets to fit the later hoses.
    Jack Hidley

I have read about and adapter of some sort that goes between the hard line and rubber hose cause the hard line is smaller the the rubber hose. Is this true?
    I did this brake upgrade no too long ago and you may find your original fittings on the hard lines will be smaller than the 87 upgrade hose. This is the adapter you may need to fit your new brake line to your hard line. Basically, your hard line fittings may be 3/8", but the 87 hose fittings will be 7/16". Also, if you can get the 87 brackets, that makes it a lot easier IMO. For clearance issues, I had to relocate the brackets in a different place as the fitting location on the 87 calipers were different than the originals.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/urr-br550

you may be referring to the adapter you need if you swap sn95 94-04 calipers spindles and rotors to a fox .. the passenger side line does need an adapter between the hard line and the flex line to do that... im not sure on v8 fox 87 up calipers to a 79-86 car..roy

ok see next post also...

Last edited by fordstuff; 04-29-2017 at 03:52 PM.

you may be referring to the adapter you need if you swap sn95 94-04 calipers spindles and rotors to a fox .. the passenger side line does need an adapter between the hard line and the flex line to do that... im not sure on v8 fox 87 up calipers to a 79-86 car I did see something about 12mm vs. 14mm depending on your rear drum size..roy

the hard line fittings fit the new stuff with no issue, just filed out the 86 bracket. one major issue i ran into though, once everything was finished i went for a drive. i was laying tire tracks behind the car. brought in for an alignment (1 mile from my house) and i had 5 degrees of toe in on both sides and 3 degrees of positive camber. wtf? did i do something wrong? toe was fixed but the factory camber plates are maxed out and i still have 1 degree of positive camber. any ideas? spindles are supposedly from an 88 5.0, and i put on bilstein struts (same part number as on maximum motorsports website) as well as jacked up the front of the spindle for more neg camber.. its driving fine now but im at a loss on why the alignment was so different after

What is the part number on the inside of the steering arms?
    Jack Hidley

I had a very similar problem with camber on my 86 when I converted to SN95 spindles and upgraded brakes.

Start by jacking up the car and removing the front tires. Loosen up the spindle bolts but DO NOT remove them. Use a bar to pry the outer end of the spindle upwards as this loads in max negative camber. hold it there while a buddy retightens the bolts. Check things again.

if this doesn't solve it, replace the top strut bolts with camber bolts. If this also fails, you can elongate the strut opening or try camber bolts too and bottom. Up to you.

picture i took is a little blurry but i believe the number is 717AA , and the number underneath is PS 3