Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for 1984-86 Cobra GT (GT in Canada)

Anybody here have a Cobra GT? Please post your door tags, buck tags, build sheets, etc. Thanks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Nobody in Canada owns an '84-'86 GT?

Default 1986 GT Cobra

Here you go!
    1979 Ghia Coupe
    5.0/C4
    Polar White
    1981 Cobra
    Gen 2 Coyote/6R80
    Bright Bittersweet
    2022 Mustang GT
    10r80 Whipple
    Eruption Green

Thanks! Do you at least have a buck tag for the car? Would really also like to see a build sheet. Trying to figure out the codes on these things that were different from GTs in the states.

Lots of good stuff about Canada GTs and Cobra GTs for 1982-1993. Has tags, buildsheet, window stickers, and more.

http://www.mustanggt.org/canadiangt/canadiangt.htm
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

Some good info there for sure. Unfortunately there are no buck tags there from Cobra GTs, and only one build sheet and it has the same code on it as a GT from the states.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

My car is a Canadian '84 GT. As far as I knew, the Canadian Mustang GTs were the same as the US 49 state cars. MustangGT.org talks about the differences between the cars - good info - speedometers (metric vs standard) and some of the decals that came on the car. They mention that the cars had the orange "cobra" decal on the rear hatch, my car did not. Mine just said, "Mustang GT". I have seen some with the cobra decal and some without.

Also, I have my buc tag and complete build sheet which I will scan and post for you.

My car was a late 1984 Mustang and I was told it was considered an '84 1/2 due to the production date. The car was given a serial number on May 15, 1984 and completed on May 24th and sitting at the ford plant for shipping. It was released from the plant on June 5th. During production, my seats (canyon red) were pulled from the assembly line for use in a 20th anniversary GT. I was offered SVO seats at an additional cost of $600. Later, I found out that there were other odd parts in the car.

I also have all the shop manuals, wiring diagrams and supplementary books (including the SVO book) for the car. The shop manuals have the information for decoding but I think the main difference is the DSO.

Do you have a copy of the Canadian sales brochure for 1984?

Thanks (in advance) for the buck tag and build sheet.

Yes, people do consider the '84 GTs with foglamps, one-piece rear spoiler, Quadra-shock rear suspension, and (optional) P code Sport seating "mid" or "late" or "84½". The "early" GTs had no foglamps, a three-piece spoiler, slapper bar rear suspension, and (optional) H code Sport seating.

How do you know the serialization, build, and release dates?

The 1984 Canadian brochure and shop manuals are in the library...

http://foureyedpride.com/fep_bild/v/...ng/84_mustang/
    http://foureyedpride.com/fep_bild/v/...84_bce_decode/
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I was lucky enough to get the dates for the car maybe because the car was ordered and not purchased off the dealer's lot.

The dealer was great. They were able enter their dealership code and access FORD's database to provide me with updates on the car. I ordered it on April 10th (the last day I could order the car), the order went in to FORD for the assembly line on April 11th, the car had a VIN on May 15th, completed May 24th, released June 4th, delivered to the dealer June 5th. I was there when it arrived and was unloaded off the truck. I took delivery on June 6th. The car had 5 km or about 3.7 miles on it. About a month later, I saw a piece of paper under the back of the car. It was a sticker that had been put on the rear bumper cover. The sticker said, May 22, 1984 Shift # 2. I then looked on the inside the front bumper cover and found the same thing.

Default Build sheet and buck tag

Here is my build sheet and buck tag. The info is for a Canadian '84 GT, CFI, AOD car with 7.5" axle and 3.27 gears. The exterior is 1E (silver) and the interior is canyon red.

Also, if someone could help me out with the difference between the regular trac-loc rear end with clutches and what was in my car (all coil springs inside the diff) I would appreciate knowing. I discovered this when I switched to 3.73 gears. I was told that I had a special service rear axle/diff or a cop car diff???

http://http://

Thanks again for posting those.

The diff you found in your axle housing was factory/stock/standard issue. Nothing special. Same thing in every other pre-'85 T-L Capri and Mustang.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I just came across two build sheets I had sitting around.
    A while back, I worked on an '83 GT, turning it into a 306. Later, the same person wanted cobra brakes, a 347 and a new paint job. When I took the interior out there were two build sheets from different cars. The '83 GT is a Canadian car, the other one, I never checked. If you want them, I'll scan them and post them for you.

I always welcome all build sheets.

My cousins 85 Regatta blue GT had the orange "COBRA" with a line through it on his deck lid. I wish he would have kept it. It WAS minty now.....sad story.
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

Here is mine.. I will get the door tag next time I am at the body shop but I never did find my build sheet when I replaced my floor pans which was kinda weird but my car had the cobra decal on the left side of the hatch.. as far as I know they are the same as the ones sold in the US.

Oxford White 86GT : Stock Block 302 331 Cid Stroker 9.5:1 with Eagle rotating assembly, V3 S trim @ 8.5 lbs, Eddy Rpm's, Eddy RPM 2 Intake, Comp 1.6 rr's, Comp XE274HR, 90mm Lightning Maf, 70mm TB, 42lb Injectors, TKO 500, Spec Stage 3 Clutch 3.55 gears, 5 Lug conversion with Cobra 13" Front brakes, 17x9 Bullet Wheels, full exhaust, SCT 4 Bank Chip. 511 rwhp 527ft lbs

13.159 @ 107.52MPH 2.125 60 ft on street rubber Old time on motor, new times comming soon

'85 Mercury Capri RS 5spd - Bone stock
    '82GT T-Top sold June 11th `2001

And there's another buck tag with "GTC", only seen on '86 tags so far. Thanks for posting.

I believe GTC = Cobra GT but I need to see a lot more buck tags from Canadian 84-86 Cobra GTs to make that determination.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

New User

Ill get pics of my 84 tags and see if I still have the build sheet from the 86 GT Cobra that I had about 4 years ago. From what I could tell when I had it the only real difference was the cobra decals.

Sorry I did not see this thread sooner. Here is the door tag for my 86 Cobra GT. I'll post the buck tags for you on Wednesday.
    I can make out everything but the rear GAWR.
    The date is 04/86

Unfortunately the build sheet is totally illegible.

Last edited by danco86; 04-30-2013 at 12:40 AM.
    Dan

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-GT-restomod

1986 Mustang GT Cobra
    Lotsa stuff, lotsa work. Check my thread above.

Daily drivers
    2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke crew 4X4
    2012 F-150 Ecoboost Screw FX4

As promised..

Dan

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-GT-restomod

1986 Mustang GT Cobra
    Lotsa stuff, lotsa work. Check my thread above.

Daily drivers
    2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke crew 4X4
    2012 F-150 Ecoboost Screw FX4

And there again is the "GTC" code on another '86 Cobra GT! Thank you, Dan, for posting the door and buck tags.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Lubner: Do you have a buck tag and or build sheet to post?

Never found the build sheet and I need remove the buck tags to get a photo they are bent in.
    1979 Ghia Coupe
    5.0/C4
    Polar White
    1981 Cobra
    Gen 2 Coyote/6R80
    Bright Bittersweet
    2022 Mustang GT
    10r80 Whipple
    Eruption Green

FEP Senior Member

I will try and get mine off when I change my headers it is there but it was completly impossible the last time I tried to get it off. (Don't remember why tho)
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care

This summer I found the buck tag on my 84 gt-turbo (Canadian car), but didn't take a picture. Now it's tucked away in a barn for hibernation. I'll be sure to send it to you this summer. I don't think it's a Cobra though.
    Present cars:
    1984 GT turbo t-tops

Wish list:
    1984 Predator
    Capri ASC McLaren Coupe
    1980 Cobra 4 spd
    1979 Pace Car
    (In order of Preference as well)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast