Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1985 gt project

Slowly but surely getting it done. I can understand that. It’s nice to have a shop to work on it, I bet?

FEP Member

yes,very lucky to have the shop to do this.my grandfather started the business in the 1950's.my father worked and owned it for over fifty years until he passed last june.my uncle was half owner.he is at retirement age and wants out.so it will be sold!sad era for my family.but on a happier note.santa came early for me.ive been saving to buy this stuff from the guy I bought the car from.never opened..got it all real cheap.

FEP Member

also, I wanted to mention that when I bought this car, I got some old receipts of registration from north Carolina with the previous owners name on it.so what did I do?i googled his name and ended up finding someone on facebook with the same name,in the same area.sent him a message and surer than ****,it was him! found out the complete history of the car!he sent me a few pics...pretty cool

Pretty cool, I bet that guy was glad to hear his old car is getting fixed up.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

FEP Member

Yeah he was...that’s his Torino in one of the pics..I found out that it has a 8.8 rearend installed by Carolina mustang?due to jiffy lube not putting the friction modifier in when they changed the gear oil..and it has a Holley carb on it.he bought the car with real real low miles..like less than a couple thousand I believe.

FEP Member

well,i did the best I could painting the engine bay without removing the motor.it went smooth.also there was zero rust to repair.my goal now is to get it painted.then go back under the hood and really clean it up.i want to replace radiator hoses,pull the radiator,clean,paint it and remount it.new plug wires,pull valve covers and clean and polish.i started polishing the air cleaner lid and stripped off the original black paint on the base and plan on painting it with the eastwood underhood paint.

FEP Member

finshing up the bodywork.had some damage on the roof above the windshield.original owner told me a tree limb fell on it.

Your car is looking great. I can appreciate all the work that goes into a full repaint.

Pretty soon you'll be laying down a fresh coat of paint.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Member

its finally oxford white.gray should be done in the next couple of weeks.looks so plain now.all decals and all new moldings will set it off..

FEP Member

The GT looks really nice.

Are you going back with the grey trim paint around the window frames,quarter windows, etc. are leaving it white like it's painted now?
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The GT looks really nice.

Are you going back with the grey trim paint around the window frames,quarter windows, etc. are leaving it white like it's painted now?
    thanks! i will be painting the gray trim as it was original.just got the graphics express hood decal and have all new body moldings and emblems.have all the s.e.m. paint,primer and adhesion promoterjust need the time..

Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    thanks! i will be painting the gray trim as it was original.just got the graphics express hood decal and have all new body moldings and emblems.have all the s.e.m. paint,primer and adhesion promoterjust need the time..
    Ok, I get it. I just do mine differently since I am lazy and don't like to have to go back and sand the door frames, etc. again. I mask them off when spraying the color. Then shoot the charcoal grey or the black on the trim depending on the year model.

The one we are working on right now we will shoot the charcoal grey in BC and then clear it with a Flattened clear to get the proper sheen. Nothing against the SEM paint, but I get better long term durability doing the BC/CC route myself. Good luck and keep the pictures coming.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Looking really good can't wait to see it finished.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Ok, I get it. I just do mine differently since I am lazy and don't like to have to go back and sand the door frames, etc. again. I mask them off when spraying the color. Then shoot the charcoal grey or the black on the trim depending on the year model.

The one we are working on right now we will shoot the charcoal grey in BC and then clear it with a Flattened clear to get the proper sheen. Nothing against the SEM paint, but I get better long term durability doing the BC/CC route myself. Good luck and keep the pictures coming.
    yes.no doubt that bc/cc will be longer lasting.i painted everything white first then planned on painting the gray over it...should lay on perfect.and,if in the future i have to re do it,should be pretty minimal to do.also.i unmasked it and wanted to powerwash the whole car again and get all the buffing crud out of the lines,jambs,and other hidden area's...

Looking great so far!
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

FEP Member

thanks! your build reminds me of what I just did to mine minus the roof.cant wait to see yours done. .i got lucky with this 85 I guess.factory sunroof with zero rust.took some time to get it straight though alot of hi's and lows from the factory.took a lot of blocking to get mine straight.i ended getting a few hours in today and ended up getting some more of the trim done.did drivers door and rear quarter window.got some windshield trim done too.waiting on some windshield trim clips before I get everything snapped in place.

FEP Member

are the door handles gray on these?i thought I read something at one time that they are all black?not sure

—> Try a scrub brush and dish soap and see how it goes

Tapatalk had this thread showing all out of order. Reply to stuff posted a long time ago!
    Last edited by erratic50; 03-26-2018 at 05:19 AM.

FEP Member

got the front molding painted and both headlight buckets done..rear bumper molding and hood decal next!.little nervous about doing the gt hood decal.

Looks good. Wish mine looked that good!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Looking great!

Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    are the door handles gray on these?i thought I read something at one time that they are all black?not sure
    Door handles should be black.

Can't tell for sure if you painted it grey or not, but wanted to remind you that the inside of the door opening on the body where the door frame closes should be grey also. That will extend down on the A & B pillar to roughly the same point as the grey on the outside of the door. Obviously the door frame gets painted on both the inside and the outside.

The GT looks Great! I will be doing the same work to my buddy's 86 SSP soon once he gets it up and running.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 03-26-2018 at 08:01 AM.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Your car really looks nice, gooder than new!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast