Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 1985 gt project

FEP Member

Well.pulled dash and found the actuator valve.hooked both blue and the red lines up and low and behold still no vents! WTH! My next option is to see if the vacuum ball under passenger fender is hooked up?

FEP Member

A buddy of mine picked up some svo parts locally and he grabbed me a spare vacuum ball from the guy.before I gave up tonight,I pushed the 4mm line onto the black three end vaccum piece on the firewall and I have vents!gotta get under there and replace the line.thanks guys for all the replies.

FEP Member

does anybody else's hatch lift pistons rub their jambs?mine has scratched my jambs to the point i gotta do some touch up on both sides now.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    does anybody else's hatch lift pistons rub their jambs?mine has scratched my jambs to the point i gotta do some touch up on both sides now.
    I have seen this happen from time to time. Often worn hatch lifts allow the hatch to move side to side when closing. The other issues can be a worn hatch gasket, worn or mis-adjusted hatch bumpers, worn hatch hinges, and finally a worn or out of adjustment hatch striker. You can check and verify all of the items to see what needs to be fixed and/or replaced. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

i replaced my hatch striker today.what a difference it made.my hatch shut's easy and sits perfect now. pulled the sheet off,and backed it out of the winter slumber.gotta foam wash it and try my new 5 inch buffer out for some final glaze, and some collinite wax.i have 99% of interior in.looks good.last step is to get some tmi foam and upholstery for front and back seats.then a full undercarriage scrub.new h pipe,mufflers and tailpipes.springs,wheels and tires.cant wait for some decent temps..i did discover that my center console isn't original.it was blue and painted gray previously.never seen a blue console ever.was this from a earlier car?or say a lx?

Last edited by kfxmatt; 03-17-2019 at 09:07 PM.

FEP Member

Update.
    finally got the gt registered and road legal!.been working on it on weekends.so far I replaced both lower ball joints,inner tie rod ends,installed eibach front and rear sway bars.replaced the steering shaft rag joint this morning.huge difference on how she handles and goes down the road now.my tires are old and square.plan on mounting my cobra r wheels on soon with brand new tires.then new struts and a alignment.i have eibach springs that I bought and had intentions of lowering this thing.but now that I have been driving this thing,I plan on just replacing the struts and shocks and be done with it.dont want the harsh ride and all the other troubles that come with it..cars to nice for that.so I sold them to my neighbor who has a 84 gt.as far as good stock replacement struts,what do you guys suggest?

FEP Member

Went ahead and ordered a set of oem style struts.gabriel ultra.gotta be better than the old kyb’s on there.also ordered a set of motor craft rear shocks.should I replace the coil springs too? Do coil springs go bad?

Coil springs can go bad, but usually they are fine. I have seen coil springs break due to age and rust, they can also soften up a bit over time. Hard to say for sure without seeing the springs if they really need to be replaced or not. I will say that a bad set of struts/shocks can lead you to believe you might need new springs too.

You stated you have a set of Eibach springs, not sure which style, but if they are the Pro Kit style, then the ride with be very similar to stock without major harshness with a decent set of struts/shocks. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

glad to hear its back on the road!!

FEP Member

Thanks! Unfortunately the springs are the more aggressive sport line springs.more spring than what I’m looking for.ive convinced myself this car will be better off in the future if I just replace all the original parts with new stock replacements.i will put wheels and tires on it and pull stock exhaust off and set aside..but really just want to keep it as close to original as possible.my wife’s Mercedes c 300 did put quite a smack down on me the other day,and that alone makes me want to build a motor haha.

FEP Member

havent really done anything to it lately.been so damn hot and muggy here.cooled down today so i figured i would go to a local carshow at Walmart in Halifax ma.always a good showing! one of my buddies with his svo went also,we were the only foxbodies there.i gotta say,my buddies svo draws a lot more attention than my ol plain janehere is a couple pics

Looks good I'd take either one if the opportunity presented itself.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber70Mach View Post
    Looks good I'd take either one if the opportunity presented itself.
    Enough said!!!
    '85 GT

FEP Member

Thanks!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345