Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1985 gt project

FEP Member

Default 1985 gt project

just recently bought this mustang from a co worker of mine.a friend of his bought it in viginia.he never really did anything with the car and brought it north to Massachusetts.the co worker I bought it from had a plan to get this car back into nice shape.he ordered a ton of parts which he gave me with it.but life forced him to sell it.i couldn't pass on it.i had a 85 ,86 gt's in my younger years.its a oxford white 85 gt 5 speed,grey interior and a factory sunroof.needs a full interior resto and a paint job.body is perfect.needs a bumper cover in the front.car is 100% stock.still has original exhaust! my goal is to get the body done and then work on interior.cant wait to start!
    matt

Looks like a real solid car! Great find!

FEP Member

thanks!

Nice find and thanks for saving that one! I have undertaken a project or two. I hope you don't plan to be done by May 1st, haha. You have to have patience and perseverance. But that looks like a solid car. Keep us updated on the progress.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Member

thanks homer.my father has owned a body shop for the last fourty years,i know how long it will take.body work takes alot of time.but i will plug away at it as i can.ill post pics as i go!
    matt

This'll be fun. Any intentions to spice up the drivetrain?

Going back to white as well?

Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    thanks homer.my father has owned a body shop for the last fourty years,i know how long it will take.body work takes alot of time.but i will plug away at it as i can.ill post pics as i go!
    matt
    That's great to hear. It looks like you are new here based on your post count but you might be a long-time lurker, LOL. Anyway, we get a lot of people with a lot of energy after getting one home and then after about 6 months when they still can't see the light, they give up and we never hear from them again. Was just hoping you stay motivated! It's a 30+ year old car!

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    This'll be fun. Any intentions to spice up the drivetrain?

Going back to white as well?
    to be honest.im thinking im going to put it back 100% stock.im not really in love with white,to me there is no "bling" to it.and the only reason i plan on it is because the car is so untoched over the years.ive been researching these and from what i gather,they arent worth a hell of alot of money.so that makes me want to do something different.i have any color at my disposal...going to be hard to decide,but im thinkig white again.as far as the motor,yes in time..maybe some aluminum heads,cam...etc..the car has been dustless blasted and epoxy primered..couple of small area's need some work but the bodywork overall is in great shape..sanding starts march 27th!
    matt

FEP Member

yup.im a newbie.i have had a mix of cars over the years.corvettes,mustangs,slp camaro,grand national and have spent the last ten years riding and racing my quad in the great north woods of maine and new hampshire.i just finished up restoring that and picked the mustang up.ill post pics of that build.its no car and that was alot of work! this wont be done in a week.between kids and work it will be tough,but im a determined s.o.b. once i get something in my head.
    2005 kawasaki kfx 700
    fst 730 big bore kit high compression pistons,big valves and stage three cams.65 horsepower at the wheels!

Wow, that thing is a BEAST I bet! Nice work.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Member

hey guys.havent posted since I bought this car.i had some unfortunate events happen and haven't been able to start this project.my father passed away and he was my helper for this project.so now I go it alone! in his honor.im lucky enough to have a uncle that was half owner of the shop so he will be painting it for me.any how.been gathering parts and started to disassemble some of the parts that I plan on switching out.so far in disassembly,i haven't run into any damage or unexpected repairs.car seems straight and solid.its slow going,but progress is being made.ordered a new front bumper cover and completely cleaned and inspected all the headlights and and painted the frames.had to repair some cracks on the two mounts on the back.a little jb weld did the trick.solid as a rock now.put new marker lights and parking lights in.have six good foglights.they need to be cleaned up and I did test them to find the bulbs are bad in all but one.so I found some wagner replacements on ebay.once those come in I can reassemble the foglights and mount back up to the car.then the sanding starts..some of the goodies
    Last edited by kfxmatt; 09-05-2017 at 08:02 PM.

FEP Member

does photobucket not work anymore?i cant seem to post any other pictures than the speedo pic
    Last edited by kfxmatt; 09-05-2017 at 08:03 PM.

FEP Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Xe4umt][/url

Last edited by kfxmatt; 09-06-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Sorry to hear about your father bud.

Photobucket has taken away the free hosting so it's pretty much useless. Posting from Flickr to this site is fairly easy once I figured it out. It can be done so the pics are shown in the thread, it just takes a bit of work. I can try and explain it if you would like.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

FEP Member

thank you.its never easy to lose a loved one..thanks a million for the flickr thread.i followed your instructions and it worked perfectly.

Sorry to hear about your father. I lost my mother a year ago June 1. She is greatly missed. I wish I could see all the other pics, (Thanks Greedbucket) but the new ones look pretty good. I like that car! My 85 is Silver too...just worn out nasty paint and a purple hood!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

FEP Member

sorry for your lose droopie.ill try to see if I can find which ones I posted and repost them.the car was dustless blasted and primed before I got it.really nothing to look at yet!yours looks good in the pic.

FEP Member

Sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my dad August 26, he was a tough old bird, almost 87. He always loved to hear about my Mustang and had a lead foot no matter what he was driving.

FEP Member

thanks razor.sorry to hear about your dad.sounds like he was a pretty cool guygot the bumper jammed today.radiator support and I will touch up the cooler and radiator while I'm in there.

Last edited by kfxmatt; 09-09-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Very sorry about your dad. The years evaporate, dont they. Build in his honor, let us know if you need information. And if someone is nearby, help.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Sorry about your old man passing. My dad died almost twenty years ago, but he was a dick, so it's ok. Glad to see you're back after it, i'm glad your uncle is helping you out.

FEP Member

quick update.got a lot done in the last week.removed the petrified weatherstrip from around the sunroof.sanded and seamsealed,primed and painted the inside of the hatch.painted the hatch jambs.ran into a snafu with the underside of the hood.someone had primed it with some red oxide style crap and when I put air to it to blow it off,it started to flake off.had to spend some time sanding it down.but I prevailed and got that painted too.hoping to get the body done in the next week or two.then I will start prepping the new body moldings and all the gray trim for paint.have all new weatherstrip,trim and emblems to put on.just need a hood decal.

Nice, keep up the good work!
    ~Bryan

1985 Mustang GT w/ T-Tops, Original Paint, 160,XXX miles
    Mods: 600cfm Carb, Underdrive Pulleys, Subframe Connectors, 4pt G-Load Brace, MM Strut Tower brace, 8.8 rear w/ 3.55 gears & LCA's

Pics from production of "The Saleen Book"
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1027847075

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select1271.htm

FEP Member

been slowly picking away on the mustang on my free time.not going as fast as expected but hey...with the holidays here a man can only do so much.got everything but under the hood jambed.trying to strip as much on each side of the engine compartment as possible.pulling the motor isn't a option right now so I have no choice but to do this with the motor in there.i didn't plan on doing any of it at this time but we sprayed the radiator support and inner fenders,and now the ugliness of under the rest of the hood really sticks out.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast