Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 1985 gt project

FEP Member

finally got the car home and have been working on the interior.i ended up going with sem 15303 graphite.its a damn near perfect match.i bet that is what lmr sells for their charcoal interior color.plus,it fit the budget,i get for ten dollars a can.coverage took awhile.started off wet scrubbing them with a gray scuff pad and some standox plastic cleaner.prep cleaned them,and painted.took three cans to do both rear quarter plastics.thats including the speaker grates.these plastics are sun burned in some areas.im happy with the results.

What a transformation!!!
    ~Bryan

1985 Mustang GT w/ T-Tops, Original Paint, 160,XXX miles
    Mods: 600cfm Carb, Underdrive Pulleys, Subframe Connectors, 4pt G-Load Brace, MM Strut Tower brace, 8.8 rear w/ 3.55 gears & LCA's

Pics from production of "The Saleen Book"
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1027847075

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select1271.htm

FEP Member

thanks! i havent tested these speakers yet,but i was the first person to ever peel these off the factory speaker covers.which i thought was pretty cool.is it worth saving these speakers?if their is a exact aftermarket option I would consider that.

also.still going with sound deadening.working on drivers side floor.found out some water over the years got under the factory sound deading.i heated it up with a heat gun and scraped it out .lifted the factory firewall jute and discovered this

its on the seam where the firewall and floor pan meets.going to grind it down,seam seal it and por 15 over it,be fore I put the sound deadening over it.

FEP Member

quick update.i have been working on cleaning up the dash.pulled the guage cluster out and noticed how faded the guages were.plus i have a new ford motorsport 140 speedo I want to install.i orderd the lmr guage resto kit and refaced them.worked great!pretty simple to do.i painted the needles also.a few things about the kit.the tach overlay doesn't have the highbeam cutout which was strange,but I was able to cut it out with a razorblade.and the needle paint leaked out in the bag it was shipped inbut I ended up with more than I needed.overall very happy with the results.oh yeah,i did a new lens cover also.
    before&after

Last edited by kfxmatt; 10-27-2018 at 06:07 PM.

FEP Member

replaced my old underhood insulation also.didnt buy the form fit one for 139,so I ended up buying the 40 dollar one from lmr..looks good and a million times better than the raggedy original

The cleaned up gauges look fantastic, nice work.

You've done an amazing job so far. Looks great.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Gauges look great! Awesome progress, really love the way it’s turning out for you!

FEP Member

thanks! i ended up not being satisfied with the way the interior quarter panels came out.took a second approach and are happy with the results.the panels were so sun baked that you could carve your name in them with your fingernail.the grain was gone.so i ended up resanding them and used sem grain texture base.then repainted.grain was a little heavier than i anticipated.not a bad idea for plastics that are in bad shape like mine were.now I will match all the other odds and ends

FEP Member

have any of you guys use a vapor barrier behind the door panels?i bought the door panel insulation kit from lmr and saw they sell a kit for 87 and up.other than a speaker cut out,i dont see why they wouldnt work.id like to have the extra wind noise protection if i could.or would i be wasting my time?

Looking really great Matt. I don't know about the door vapor barrier. When I reinstalled my panels, I just used gorilla tape to hold the original brown paper barrier in place. My plan if it was in bad shape was to use a heavy mill plastic.

Brant

Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    have any of you guys use a vapor barrier behind the door panels?i bought the door panel insulation kit from lmr and saw they sell a kit for 87 and up.other than a speaker cut out,i dont see why they wouldnt work.id like to have the extra wind noise protection if i could.or would i be wasting my time?
    Mustangs Unlimited has the correct vapor barrier shields for the 79-86 cars. Just an FYI. Virtually all of mine have seen better days, so I plan on buying new ones. If you car is stored indoors and only washed occasionally you could probably forgo them, otherwise they are the only thing protecting the backside of the inner door panels from water damage. Good luck!

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mus...86-Mustang.axd
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

Man! I looked high and low for those and never found them.i see lmr has 87 and up..for 21 bucks,what the hell.might as well do it.even though it will be garaged and only driven in spring and summer.

For the price, especially right now as I believe they are on sale, they are a no brainer IMHO. You will spend at least 1/2 that on just regular 6 mil plastic to make your own. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Member

quick update.still plugging away on the interior.ended up getting the oxford gray carpet with mass backing from foxresto.great price.i ordered a seatbelt sleeve kit from them also.i have new door actuators installed,all door internals greased and sliding nice.door panel insulation kit and I ended up getting the vapor barriers.they are nice.required a little trimmimg and modding to fit nice.two door latches replaced.these have the extra brace on these?they seem to work fine.i painted all the interior plastics to match.installed a new stainless sunroof front retainer kit and got rid of all the old rusty hardware.hopefully this tightens things up a little and stops the leak I found in the sunroof.bought two new motorcraft dome light switches with the rubber boots for the jambs.next ill clean up the console.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/158247.../shares/xTD88v

Sounds and looks like you are making good progress, Congrats!

You don't say anything about the drains, so I will mention to make sure your sunroof drains are cleaned out and draining properly. That can lead to leaks and rust. Generally some compressed air blow thru them will do the trick. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Sounds and looks like you are making good progress, Congrats!

You don't say anything about the drains, so I will mention to make sure your sunroof drains are cleaned out and draining properly. That can lead to leaks and rust. Generally some compressed air blow thru them will do the trick. Good Luck!
    yup,blew all four drains out several times.when I brought it home from being painted I washed it before I left and with no head liner in I could see it dripping on the drivers side.dripping from the bottom left of those yellow plastic clips.the sunroof retainers were in terrible shape on that same side compared to the hardware on the passenger side..gotta get this sorted before my headliner goes in

FEP Member

it was dripping from the bottom edge of this.now that I have new stainless retainers,hoping that helps.also would it be foolish to think about sealing it with something now?
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/158247.../shares/1TD06G

FEP Member

got alot done on the interior this weekend.put a new,used stock steering wheel in.installed carpet.new scuff plates are on backorder so i couldnt install those.new headliner is in! seatbelt where cleaned and polished and mounted in new sleeves.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/158247.../shares/81Mx2s

FEP Member

does anybody know where these two vacuum lines go? I for the life of me cant figure it out.the previous owner did a heater core and removed the dash,these are hanging from the passenger side and seem to go to the drivers side..

I believe those vacuum lines are for the blend door actuator. If I recall correctly, there's a vacuum actuator on the top left-hand side of the hvac box, closer to the firewall. Top side is red, bottom is blue.

Name:  IMG_0012.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  124.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0014.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  136.0 KB
    Last edited by snavesa; 02-11-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Name:  2018-10-07 16.55.29.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  77.9 KB

Not the best picture for you, but you get the idea. I can try and get a better/closer picture for you either late tomorrow or Wednesday. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Member

Thanks fella’s!! Makes sense.i only have defrost at the moment..I gotta get under there and take a look.

FEP Member

I’m assuming I have to pull the dash to do this?man two steps forward one step back..

Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    I’m assuming I have to pull the dash to do this?man two steps forward one step back..
    You can try removing the front seats and laying down and try making it work that way, but odds are you may have to at least pull the dash out of the way enough to get to the HVAC unit. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller