Close

Default 90 brakes on an 82GT

Just wrapping up the install of new Ford lower control arms 90 mustang brakes and Koni shocks. What fitting do I need to adapt the 87-93 J&M brake hoses to the 82 brake lines?
    Name:  051.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  43.3 KB

Just curious - what was your goal with this mod? Simply bigger brakes while staying 4 lug??

zooming in those spindles do not look like they are in the best condition. It looks like they got very hot and discolored at some point- likely due to bad bearings or incorrect grease or poor adjustment.

Ive seen worse. My 86 spindles were 50x worse as I had a nasty habit of driving way too fast and burned up numerous sets of bearing and brakes on it back when the 0-60 of the 86 fox body Mustangs ruled the streets and there was always idiots lining up looking to get their ass handed to them in a race. Made a ton of money on those sucker bets for sure - almost enough to pay for brakes and fuel and tires - lol.

I also wanted bigger and better brakes on my car. I also wanted and a wider selection of wheel options along with vastly improved Ackerman so I went to an SN95 spindle with drilled slotted Baer 99GT rotors, performance friction pads, and 99 dual piston calipers on mine.

I used braided steel lines for a 99 and an adapter from LMR on the passenger side. totally killer - I wish I would have done that plus SN95 rear brakes 20+ years ago.

im running a 1" bore mark VII Lincoln master cyl with stock 86 booster and a summit proportioning valve. The setup works GREAT. Vastly exceeds my expectations.

running 245/45/R17 tires with 8" wide 95 tribar rims that I'll eventually redo to clone cobra R rims.

only problem I had was camber. I solved that with camber bolts. My struts are centered in the strut opening and caster/camber plates are maxed out on positive caster. Drives really nice like this although I do need to do a proper alignment and bump steer mine.

I wanted to stay with 4 lug to be factory correct and have a little bit better stopping power, plans call for TRX wheels from LMR when funds are available. Does anyone have a part number for the fitting I need to connect the 82 brakes with the 90 brakes?

I don't have the part number but LMR has it on their site I believe.
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

hcmclean, I don't have a direct answer for you, but from what I can seem to find, the 87-93 lines should connect to the 82 lines with only modifying the soft line chassis bracket hole. Without having the parts in front of me, I can't confirm, but I am guessing you are asking because they don't?? The link posted above only gets you from 79 hard lines to 82 soft lines.

You may be better served giving one of the brake line or aftermarket companies a call to confirm the adapter fitting needed (i.e.- SSBC, Raybestos, Maximum Motorsports, etc). Another option would be to visit a local Napa or independent repair shop and purchase a few options to bring back and test fit. Most Napa stores and smaller non-chain repair shops have guys that can help you find a solution. Good luck.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

I have not tried to fit them as of yet, my understanding was that they are different sizes.