Close



Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Default 84 svo trade to a 86 gt ttop car

    So I've got a 86 gt mustang ttop car that has 46000 miles all original and it's pretty clean I got offered a 84 svo with 65000 original miles motor has 5000 miles on it and a little bigger cam car is in about the same shape as mine is it worth the trade?

  2. #2

    Default

    [attach]110082
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  3. #3

  4. #4
    FEP Supporter ddx77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    321

    Default 84 svo trade to a 86 gt ttop car

    No way.

    That's my opinion.

    Your car is worth more than an 84 svo.

    If I were in your shoes, I might consider an 84 turbo Gt, 85.5 svo or 86 svo.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5

  6. #6
    FEP Supporter ddx77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    321

    Default 84 svo trade to a 86 gt ttop car

    Quote Originally Posted by 85cammedfox View Post
    About how much ya think?
    I'm only offering my opinion on the trade. I've just started looking at svo's and I don't see the 84's bringing the money the ttop gt's bring.

    I'm sure someone on here with more knowledge than I have will chime in.

    Do whatever makes you happy, if you want an svo and like the car get it. I would make sure it's a vertical move not lateral. Does it have the same power options as yours?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7

    Default

    As the owner of an 84 SVO I would say keep the GT.
    How modified is the SVO engine? If the 2.3 is modded right it could be fun but if not you will quickly come to hate the car.

  8. #8

    Default

    I say don't do it. About 4 hours and some charcoal paint and your car would look like it's worth another $1,500. refinish the pony wheels and it would even go up more. Like is mentioned above, you asked for OPINIONS and that is mine. Good Luck whatever you decide.
    Restoration of my 84 1/2 GT Turbo T Top:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=124724

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    As the owner of an 84 SVO I would say keep the GT.
    How modified is the SVO engine? If the 2.3 is modded right it could be fun but if not you will quickly come to hate the car.
    The car is bone stock is what I was told besides the cam

  10. #10
    FEP Power Member BLK BRD 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Next to the Chimney
    Posts
    2,064

    Default

    We have an 86 Gt Convertible and had an 84 SVO in about equal condition & miles. Two years ago the vert appraised at $2300 more than the SVO. I would guess a nice T-top would appraise for even more than our vert.............
    On the other hand I would have to disagree with Dagenham that stock 84 SVOs are no fun. Ours was the most fun car I have driven in a long time (we live in the mountains). Granted it had larger catless exhaust and a K&N cone filter which helped it breath.

    Stock for stock the 5.0 has a bunch more torque, but run both through the gears & they end up about even on a straightaway.
    In the curves is where the SVO begins to really shine.
    Merely my $.02 I hope it helps
    Ron
    Last edited by BLK BRD 88; 03-14-2017 at 10:43 PM.
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    We have an 86 Gt Convertible and had an 84 SVO in about equal condition & miles. Two years ago the vert appraised at $2300 more than the SVO. I would guess a nice T-top would appraise for even more than our vert.............
    On the other hand I would have to disagree with Dagenham that stock 84 SVOs are no fun. Ours was the most fun car I have driven in a long time (we live in the mountains). Granted it had larger catless exhaust and a K&N cone filter which helped it breath.

    Stock for stock the 5.0 has a bunch more torque, but run both through the gears & they end up about even on a straightaway.
    In the curves is where the SVO begins to really shine.
    Merely my $.02 I hope it helps
    Ron
    No, I meant if the svo,s engine is modded a lot. My svo is just like yours. No cats and 3 inch exhaust. Other than that it is bone stock and I absolutely love it. I'm saying I have had several people talk me out of modifying the engine because it turns in to a very expensive snowball effect and sometimes not so much fun to drive afterwards. And yes a stock SVO will keep up with a 5.0 and then pull away when the curves come up.

  12. #12
    FEP Power Member BLK BRD 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Next to the Chimney
    Posts
    2,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    No, I meant if the svo,s engine is modded a lot. My svo is just like yours. No cats and 3 inch exhaust. Other than that it is bone stock and I absolutely love it. I'm saying I have had several people talk me out of modifying the engine because it turns in to a very expensive snowball effect and sometimes not so much fun to drive afterwards. And yes a stock SVO will keep up with a 5.0 and then pull away when the curves come up.
    I couldn't agree with you more........sorry, I read your post wrong.
    I have friends who all started moding their SVOs with FMICs, bigger cams, LA3s, honed out polished manifolds and mostly to no avail. They spend all their time making adjustments and their cars cough and sputter more than scoot down the road as they did originally.
    Ron
    PS did you have an 85 or 86 ASC vert a few years ago?
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

  13. #13
    FEP Super Member tORMENtOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Das Bunker,PA
    Posts
    10,366

    Default

    I wouldn't do that trade, it's a lot harder to find a clean t-top GT then a SVO. Like Homer said redo the trim on your GT and it will look like a new car.

  14. #14

    Default

    Thanks guys I appreciate it I had planned on keeping my gt but what do you all think the svo is worth it basically only needs the seats redone and a hatch put on it and a pass floor pan

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more........sorry, I read your post wrong.
    I have friends who all started moding their SVOs with FMICs, bigger cams, LA3s, honed out polished manifolds and mostly to no avail. They spend all their time making adjustments and their cars cough and sputter more than scoot down the road as they did originally.
    Ron
    PS did you have an 85 or 86 ASC vert a few years ago?
    No. I looked at couple of them years ago and was completely turned off by the build quality of them.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 85cammedfox View Post
    Thanks guys I appreciate it I had planned on keeping my gt but what do you all think the svo is worth it basically only needs the seats redone and a hatch put on it and a pass floor pan
    Sounds like a $3K car. If it it needs a floor in one spot it has other rust that you don't know about yet. Also the seat covers that available are not quite right.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •