Close

Default Play in steering column?

Hey guys, so just more stuff to fix on my fox. I was wondering if anyone had any advice with a wiggly steering column? Also when I get to a certain speed if I accelerate quickly, my rear end is super squirrelly, any advice on that? Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tighten the column's yoke bracket nuts under the dash.
    If "super squirrelly" includes tire smoke, that's traction loss , otherwise, check for loose/worn/toasted control arm bushings and the mount points at their locations for play (hole elongation, loose bolts/nuts, etc).
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

FEP Power Member

Sometimes the loose steering column is just the tilt wheel loose. Easy to tighten up.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Double check your column for cracks if you have tilt. Mine broke at one of the pivot points then the latch gave way. Would have been perfect for a flying car - just pull back on the wheel and glide right over..... Lol

If you do end up needing a column be sure the one you buy either has no lock cyl installed or the key is there. With mine it literally took longer to pick the old lock and get it out than it took to swap the columns.

Have a buddy there to help you get the shaft in at the rag joint. It's FAR from fun - mine was a total pain in the butt. Lube your contacts inside the column with some graphite while you are there - keeps stuff operating quietly unless you love squeaks.

I have yet to find a cure for the wiggly column. The entire column jiggle on hard bumps, everything is tight and nothing is broken. Would love to find a concrete answer to make these columns feel more solid.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq