Close

Default Mech. Clutch line problem in '82 Capri 351w swap

So, it's been chilly asf lately up here in New England, but then again there's those days you're wearing short sleeves. It's a trip. Anyway, I've been ironing outhe some issues with my newly acquired Capri ; now I'm coming to the issue of the clutch cable. I'm not too knowledgeable of stuff this old (used to hydraulic systems).
    My cable needs to be secured into the firewall. It's coming through the proper hole, and there's this rubber grommet outside of the hole. I'm not sure if the grommet is supposed to be resting in the hole or outside of it on the firewall. I assume it should be pushed in the hole so the cable is pulled tight enough to actually make the clutch work , but the hole is way too small, which makes me think the clutch cable isnt for a swap. I'm running a t5 by the way, which I don't think came original to a Rs?
    Thanks guys.

In 1981 the I6 got a same as T5 looking T4.

Ford missed out on supply in 1982, none had the T5 because Chevy/GMC and Datsun and AMC got all the T5 gearboxes. Even though Ford bascially gave birth to the design on contract to Borg Warner.

In 1982, if its was manual, it would be

2.3 Liter 4 cylinder ET 78 Rocket.
    2.3 Liter 4 cylinder Tremec T140 5 speed, or
    5.0 V8 SROD,

3.3's and 4.2's didn't get manual gearboxes that year.

The T5 was officially 1983 in the 4V 5.0,

So just check what your VIN code number is for engine....if it was an orginal 5.0 SROD RS, then the cable thats in there should match up to a T5 bellhousing. If its standard FoMoCo, all good.

See http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...1-Clutch-cable

The official line is this

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/te...tch_cable.aspx

This cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster can be the answer to all your clutch cable problems! We have also discontinued selling adjustable clutch cables due to the poor quality and repeated returns we have experienced. Based on our research and ongoing testing, OEM Ford cables are the only solution to Mustang clutch cable problems.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The majority of the aftermarket clutch cables are made in China and are CRAP! to put it mildly.

I would recommend you use this here: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM...2-04-P897.aspx

It's a bit more than the Mcparts store crap, but you won't have to replace it anytime soon!

I also recommend you double check your cable routing to make sure you aren't too close to the headers, don't have any sharp bends or kinks. Also make sure the Quadrant is aligned properly and not pulling the cable at an angle that can cause bind and wearing of the cable which leads to breakage.

I really recommend the entire MM package here: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Cl...kage-P385.aspx as it's a great kit and I have used it on many Foxes without any issues.

Best of luck!

Trey

I personally think a mix and match is best...the imports often don't last, but YRMV here is an example of the other types for your info.

In the video below, you need to look at the 8:31 to end section, where they have a Firewall Adjuster cable, an option.

The 351W needs to copy the stock 1983-1993 bellhousing.
    Problems are usually that you might have a 10.5" clutch in there, and there might not be clearance. Or the quadrant has not been set up right.

Watch and see if this helps, care of Stormin'Norman

LMR Mustang Clutch Installation (79-04 Fox Body & SN95) - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdVZDlXVj_g

Adjustable fulcrums should be kicked for touch if its in a Fox, but since the self adjusting quadrant and T5/5.0swaps are so popular, that type will be found.

The inside end of the cable hooks to the cable quadrant

Non standard or post 1996-2004 cables have an adjustment fulcrum.

On a Fox without brake booster, the hole is a little clearer.

This is the danger zone for adjustable cables, alluded to by rob342 in post#6

On other cars, like old Falcons, they use steel tube reinforcing

or an alloy fulcrum like MustangSteves' DIY stuff for X bodies at http://www.mustangsteve.com/

Cables can come in other lengths too, just be aware that the standard FoMoCo one for your year should be best.

Ford Racing produced a kit that uses a fixed quadrant in place of the self-adjuster, and uses a cable with the
    '78-'80 style adjustment at the release fork end. It's what I have on my '85 Hatch. I haven't needed to fiddle
    with my clutch adjustment enough to put up with the craptastic aftermarket cables they sell with those firewall
    adjust kits. In fact, since I installed the King Cobra clutch kit about 10 years ago, I haven't had to touch it once.

M-7553-B302 fits '82-'93.

The firewall grommet is normally secured by a sheet metal screw through a tab on the grommet assembly.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

excellent info gentlemen .. greatly appreciated.