Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FB71 View Post
    Looking great!
    Looks great... I'll tell you first hand it doesn't smell so great!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael99V6 View Post
    Looks great... I'll tell you first hand it doesn't smell so great!

Ah that unmistakable smell of cold blooded reptile. According to my Austalian friends (we don't have snakes here, only lizards, skinks and those kind reptiles...and the world only living dinosaur, the Tuatara )

Michael, your still the son of 83GTJIM, should be a reduction on the 26th if the car still smells bad....

Drive a good bargin with him, now...

Default Uh oh. That's not good - FFF

So we have a little bit of a set back. We got the interior out and discovered that the Fox Floor Failure is a little worse than usual. I don't think there is enough here to work with to try a repair. I think this is going to require a little surgery. Nurse, plasma cutter please.

You are looking at the drivers side front seat rear mounting stud. The rocker panel is along the right edge of the photos.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  115.8 KB

Views: 378
Size:  91.1 KB

It's really not that rusty, most of what you see is dirt. This car must have lived down on a gravel road at some point in its life. The dirt was caked inside the car all around the opening from the cracks.

WHY IS THERE NOT A REPAIR KIT FOR THIS??
    Last edited by 83GTJIM; 03-22-2017 at 08:51 PM.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Well can't win them all. Torque boxes?
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

There is a repair kit, unfortunately it's new floor pans. Those are as bad as my coupe. Oh well, what do you do? Just replace the rear part of the pan. Cool that there isn't much rust though.

I am constantly amazed at the variety of places and ways these old foxes rust. Mine has bigger problems but in way different ways than many I've seen pics of here.

I suggest cutting out what's needed and using it with some spray paint to mark out the part of a new pan you need. Cut it out and stitch it in with many tiny welds then grind it out flat. Recondition the area or the entire floor with new undercoating/paint. Paint it up inside. you'll never know it was there when you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    I suggest cutting out what's needed and using it with some spray paint to mark out the part of a new pan you need. Cut it out and stitch it in with many tiny welds then grind it out flat. Recondition the area or the entire floor with new undercoating/paint. Paint it up inside. you'll never know it was there when you are done.
    That's what I'm thinking. I have a 83 GT parts car and the floor is pretty good in it. Davedacarpainter has inspired me to put a little more effort and a little less cash towards this project. Cut, weld & grind then POR15 is what I'm thinking right now.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 370
Size:  92.7 KB
    Last edited by 83GTJIM; 03-22-2017 at 11:48 PM.
    MCA #110307
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

That's a shame it looked like a nice car.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Sorry about the setback. I am not sure of your skillset but if you bring someone the piece to patch it with that is a half day for someone and probably not as much money as you might think. Just a minor setback. If you need motivation this is what I started with.

Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

It looks like that dash was perserved uner all that dust.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Sorry about the setback. I am not sure of your skillset but if you bring someone the piece to patch it with that is a half day for someone and probably not as much money as you might think. Just a minor setback. If you need motivation this is what I started with.

Homer, your car is one of my favorite on FEP. There's a particular picture of it wearing black mesh wheels that makes it look like the kind of car that all Foureyes should aspire to be. Cool to see where it started and how it ended up.

Sad to hear of that lightly crashed car getting cut up. Far worse has been saved. Get new pans and cut out the sections you need. Or go to the local bone yard and get a nice hood to cut pieces from. I used to love to take side panels from scrapped cargo vans - big flat areas, seldom aany rust.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Sad to hear of that lightly crashed car getting cut up. Far worse has been saved. Get new pans and cut out the sections you need. Or go to the local bone yard and get a nice hood to cut pieces from. I used to love to take side panels from scrapped cargo vans - big flat areas, seldom aany rust.
    Yeah, It might look like a lightly crashed car in a picture but I assure you it's hit hard. It took a perpendicular hit right at the core support and it pushed both rails over 30* trashing the fender aprons, core support, radiator, hood, both fenders, front bumper assembly, etc, etc. Yes, far worse have been saved and I've done it- http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    This one wasn't low mileage and wasn't particularly clean- one netted halo sport seat and one aero nose seat even. I have big plans that I need a donor for but that's a story for a later thread!

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 316
Size:  242.2 KB
    MCA #110307
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Default I just keep digging deeper & deeper

I'm starting to think that entire restorations get started with a bad headliner. The plan from the beginning was to redo the headliner but when you start taking everything out to remove the headliner it's pretty easy to just keep going and going. My goodness this thing was dirty! Home must have been 10 miles down a gravel road! It's so dusty & dirty inside that we decided we are going back to the car wash- this time for the inside! I have a black 83 Sport Interior and I am half tempted to put that in at this point. So we won't be looking too sexy for the 26th as we had hoped but still great progress has been made! Now on to the eye candy...

Views: 308
Size:  79.3 KB
Views: 306
Size:  92.2 KB
Views: 307
Size:  93.1 KB

And this was the 4th snake skin we have found inside the car
Views: 309
Size:  124.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 83GTJIM; 03-24-2017 at 11:28 PM.
    MCA #110307
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Oh my gosh! You GUTTED the interior! Hah! Someone like me. No snakes for me though man, just lots of rat turds.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Oh my gosh! You GUTTED the interior! Hah! Someone like me. No snakes for me though man, just lots of rat turds.
    I just looked at your build thread. Wow... Love the restoration of your interior especially.

Thanks, that's nice of you. It really is fun doing this stuff. Taking something old and dilapidated and returning to at least good working condition, if not better than original workmanship.

I really enjoy your thread on your Dominator as well. One day when I finish the two I'm working on I would like to find one myself, if there are any left at that stage!

Snakes! Great save on this one. All those red 83 and 84's of yours has me curious what has drawn you towards that specific year/look. Thanks

Okay, after seeing the snake skins, maybe I'm not so upset for missing out on this one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I would take the snake skins and probably the snake way before I would a rodent infestation. Looks like you all are cruising forward pretty good.

Can't wait to see you get to the paint refurbish stage.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by jlehma13 View Post
    Snakes! Great save on this one. All those red 83 and 84's of yours has me curious what has drawn you towards that specific year/look. Thanks
    There is a little story behind that. I turned 16 in 1983 and was already into the 60's Mustangs and of course the new Mustangs were awesome to a freshly minted driver. Remember the "The Boss is Back" commercials in the steel foundry? Later in Feb 84 my dad special ordered a black 5.0 coupe Mustang L. That sealed the deal. Later in my senior year in high school (85)a buddy got a medium red 83 GT and I always loved that car. Saving the "wrecked 83 GT" was my chance to own one that is just as new as that one was back then. The other medium red cars just kind of found me but 83-84 GT's are definitely my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I would take the snake skins and probably the snake way before I would a rodent infestation. Looks like you all are cruising forward pretty good.

Can't wait to see you get to the paint refurbish stage.
    I am struggling to keep from really cleaning up & polishing the exterior to make her look pretty but I'm going to refinish the bumper stripes and moldings before I touch the wax! It's going to look good but still have some character!
    Last edited by 83GTJIM; 03-25-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    MCA #110307
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy hearing why people enjoy whatever cars they do. To this day, my favorite fox will forever be a red aero GT convt. with white top and interior. My dad worked for Ford and he ordered three as company cars around 88 and 89. I got yelled at a few times when he caught me behind the wheel pretending to drive.
    Keep up the good work!

Default So much better!

Views: 274
Size:  137.4 KB
Views: 272
Size:  134.2 KB
    MCA #110307
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Car is really starting to shape up. With time and effort, it's not too terribly difficult to make a Foxbody presentable! I've enjoyed working on it.

That being said, never want to look up and see a snake skin leading into the headliner ever again...

Since I'm working on my heater box right now, I've got to ask, any snake skins in the air ducts?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast