Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Fox Rescue- CL Red/Red 83 GT

So it's the usual story that we have all heard before- Mustang parked in a barn for years is now for sale. Pictures show what looks like what could be a decent car, so what the heck, give the guy a text. Turns out this car is about 10 minutes away from our shop. Since we have flown to MD, driven to CO and had them brought in from NJ, a 10 minute drive to see a 83 GT is almost laughable. So the inspection sticker is 11 years old and its actually under a lean-to attached to the barn but looking past all the dirt it appears to be a pretty good example of a survivor car. Sure the exhaust system is 85 style dual exhaust, there is a 84 dash bezel and the dash pad is missing but the 83 GT hood is complete, it has red sport interior with good netted halos, a factory sunroof and a 5 speed. Other than missing a few other small things that I know we have at the shop, it's a pretty solid GT. Spring Break is coming and the boy will be home for college. Seems like a good project -we need a title, keys and an ignition module. A deal is struck.
    As she was found:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  164.2 KB
Views: 893
Size:  89.7 KB
    Attachment 110041
Views: 869
Size:  98.3 KB

Find the snake skin?
Views: 873
Size:  97.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 83GTJIM; 03-13-2017 at 12:01 AM.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Nice!

Are you willing to say how much you paid?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    Nice!

Are you willing to say how much you paid?

Mike
    Sure, but let's wait until after the boy & I have worked on it during his Spring Break. Let's see what it looks like on 3/26. Previous owner says fuel pump went out and it sat ever since. He says its .30 over with a mild Crane Cam with some other internal upgrades. He also says the T5 has about 10k on a rebuild. I suspect it's a WC T5. Currently has an Edelbrock F4B and a 4160
    MCA #110307
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Default Phase 1 of rescue

Getting ready to pull her out. Swapped out some wheels & tires but forgot a saw to cut down the tree stump that's blocking her in.

Views: 884
Size:  120.8 KB
Views: 884
Size:  129.7 KB
Views: 864
Size:  149.1 KB
Views: 864
Size:  170.3 KB
Views: 867
Size:  187.7 KB
    MCA #110307
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

I can respect this project for sure. That's about how mine looked originally when I rescued her. Who knows when Ford did what but it just APPEARS to have a later model steering column and the door panels appear to be from an 84 as well as the driver's side dash bezel. But the hood scoop and passenger side bezel say 1983. That was someone's project many years ago.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

I was trying to make a deal to get this car a couple of weeks ago, but the owner just stopped responding to me. He seemed like an intersting guy? I had a couple pistols he was interested in trading for, then poof, he disappeared. Did it not have a title? Because he told me it did.

I'm glad to see someone on here got ahold of. I figured he made a deal local and that's why he stopped communication.

Funny how you say you've been to CO to get a car, after this deal fell through I found another 83 on here in CO that E2ZZGLX is selling. I'm driving out this weekend from St. Louis with my daughter to pick it up.
    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bkm; 03-13-2017 at 04:27 AM.

Nice find. Good luck with it. Am I seeing that correctly, that it's just a scoop, not a real 83 hood?
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedfoxdriver View Post
    Nice find. Good luck with it. Am I seeing that correctly, that it's just a scoop, not a real 83 hood?
    That's an interesting question Adam. It was my belief that all 83 GT's came with a kidney shaped hole under the scoop but many other Foxbody people say that not all 83 GTs had the hole. I would bet there was more than one supplier. Maybe someone has some more info? Did the 84 Turbo cars that had the same scoop have a hole in the hood or not? Did Ford sell the hood with a hole in it or was the replacement part just a standard hood? And lastly WHY is the kidney shaped hole there?? The scoop is non-functional and the hood was a new design for 83 though the hole is similar to the 82 GT hoods. Anyone with an original 83 GT have a standard hood? I will look more closely at this one but I would not be surprised to find its been replaced. The bumper cover appears to be original with original fasteners so that would appear to rule out a front end collision.
    PS-I have not searched the forum to see if this has been discussed before.
    MCA #110307
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Glad to see it get into the hands of an enthusiast. Looking forward to seeing your updates. I bet it will clean up pretty easily.

Nice score, as long as there is not a family of snakes or mice living in it.

That paint looks a bit thin in areas, but what is there should clean up nice. My 84 vert was in about the same shape when I got it but it turned out good after some elbow grease was applied.

Before:
    Name:  IMG00405-20110505-1756.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  90.7 KB

After:
    Name:  firestation2_zpsc4f932d9.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  54.9 KB

Good luck with the new project!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

My GT Turbo does have the hole under the scoop.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Nice mustang, this should be fun watching it's resurrection.

i think those old tires might need some air....or something

Way cool, I posted this in the FYI section. Good score I have a 83GT at my house and it has the hole in the hood along with my GT Turbo and a spare GT Turbo hood in my shed.

I can't remember seeing an 83 without the hood cutout. But would love to see some solid info. So yeah if any 83 owners have a solid hood, post up.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

The 83 I had has the hole.
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

that's a great find and looks to be in real good restorable shape good luck on your build

Subscribing

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nice find, should make a great project! Congrats!
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

I agree good stuff!

Thanks everyone. The final recovery should take place on Friday evening or Saturday morning so look for more pics then. After that we hope that the updates will be daily over the next week with lots of neat stuff. Researching headliner options now, not too excited at $250+ for a replacement. We will have to see what we can do.

Brock, I don't think I had ever seen your convertible in the before stage, nice job! You've set the bar high.
    MCA #110307
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    Brock, I don't think I had ever seen your convertible in the before stage, nice job! You've set the bar high.
    Yeah it was kinda gnarly when I got it. A bunch of Meguiers products, microfiber cloths, D.A. polisher and time really made her look pretty good. It still wasn't perfect and could have come out even better with a bit more time, but it looked good for a driver.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    Thanks everyone. The final recovery should take place on Friday evening or Saturday morning so look for more pics then. After that we hope that the updates will be daily over the next week with lots of neat stuff. Researching headliner options now, not too excited at $250+ for a replacement. We will have to see what we can do.

I redid mine using headliner fabric from Joann's Fabrics, but finding that red will be tough. I don't remember them having anything besides Black and grey at the time. Still worth a visit if you have a fabric store close by.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

I bought red headliner material to match the '90 seats in my Fairmont from stockinteriors.com, which has a variety of reds. Very pleased with the material I got from them. 2 yards plus shipping was ~$80.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    I bought red headliner material to match the '90 seats in my Fairmont from stockinteriors.com, which has a variety of reds. Very pleased with the material I got from them. 2 yards plus shipping was ~$80.

Mike
    Funny you should say that Mike because searching "Headliner" here brought up several old threads. One of them included a recommendation of that same company. I just ordered a headliner kit from them- over 100 reviews and almost all of them were of high praise. The site had lots of information so I pulled the trigger. I only did standard shipping so lets hope it gets here in time! Also ordered a set of GT emblems from LMR to get the exterior looking better.
    Last edited by 83GTJIM; 03-15-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    MCA #110307
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

83 GT here, hood is solid. Betting it was hit or miss.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast