Close

Default Console Warning Center light bulbs

Does anyone know offhand how many bulbs and what size the warning center takes?

I want to replace with LEDs but I have to pull the console out to access the bulbs.

Red taillight, washerfluid, brake light and headlight.

Yellow Low fuel.

You will need to disassemble the unit by undoing the plastic welds. It appears to be a non-servicable piece....

Unsure if adding LEDS in place will alter how things function.

If you are talking about illumination for the entire unit I cannot answer that other than there looking to be two clips for lights to clip into behind it.

I believe all of the bulbs in the center console are 1892. If i recall there is 1 for the lighter, info center, and ash tray. I would have to look at my spare console to confirm, but I'm not at home right now.
    -1983 Mustang GL Coupe 9D Polar White (Sold)
    -1992 Mustang LX 5.0 PM Bright Calypso Green
    -2019 Jetta SEL (DD)
    -1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham (Wife's Toy)
    -2012 Nissan Xterra

Quote Originally Posted by 83GLCoupe View Post
    I believe all of the bulbs in the center console are 1892. If i recall there is 1 for the lighter, info center, and ash tray. I would have to look at my spare console to confirm, but I'm not at home right now.
    Thanks. My owners manual lists every bulb in the car except the warning center.
    I know it has twist in blubs like the dash cluster because I can see the back when I lay my head next to the console but for some reason I cannot get leverage to remove the bulb holders with my fingers.

I planned to take the console and front driver seat out as soon as spring time hits in NY so I can change the bulbs then, but its helpful if I know what bulb it takes before so I can order some and not have to take the console out and wait a few days for bulbs to arrive.

Now you got me questioning myself. If the impending doom of this blizzard doesn't hit, I'll access my spare parts and double check for you.
    -1983 Mustang GL Coupe 9D Polar White (Sold)
    -1992 Mustang LX 5.0 PM Bright Calypso Green
    -2019 Jetta SEL (DD)
    -1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham (Wife's Toy)
    -2012 Nissan Xterra

Snow outside too.
    Accessed my inside house box of parts.
    Have a complete display harvested from parts yard
    This one is the yellow LED low fuel version.
    Unfortunately cannot get the connectors off even prying with tiny screwdriver.
    Bet the plastic bulb socket retainer will snap.
    The blue masks are glued on to the socket.
    Has different sockets than my 79 has (metal, red low fuel).

The 'backlighting' bulb holders for the message center are snapped into place. Kind of like the instrument cluster harnesses with tabs on the end of the connector. There are two tabs on each bulb holder that snap into a hole in the message center assembly. Pinch the bulb holder to compress the tabs and it should pop out of the assembly. Or use a small screwdriver to gently push down on one tab while you pry it away from the assembly. You'll see what I mean when it eventually pops away. I'll see if I can get some pics tonight if you can't figure it out.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    The 'backlighting' bulb holders for the message center are snapped into place. Kind of like the instrument cluster harnesses with tabs on the end of the connector. There are two tabs on each bulb holder that snap into a hole in the message center assembly. Pinch the bulb holder to compress the tabs and it should pop out of the assembly. Or use a small screwdriver to gently push down on one tab while you pry it away from the assembly. You'll see what I mean when it eventually pops away. I'll see if I can get some pics tonight if you can't figure it out.
    Thanks and if you can get the bulb size and how many I'd greatly appreciate it.

I don't know if I have any with the bulbs still in them but I will check.

There are two bulbs for message center backlighting.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Here is a how-to provided by negusm many years ago:

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Proje...ion/Part9.html

The first image shows the backlighting bulbs, the 'tabs' I was describing above, and the slots in the display that the tabs snap into.

Click on the pic for a larger image.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Here is a how-to provided by negusm many years ago:

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Proje...ion/Part9.html

The first image shows the backlighting bulbs, the 'tabs' I was describing above, and the slots in the display that the tabs snap into.

Click on the pic for a larger image.
    Great write up except the one thing I need to know he doesn't say. What size bulbs?

From the looks of the first picture it seems there 3 lights in this harness. Two for the backlight of the information center and I think the third is the ashtray light. If that's a correct assumption I think its the same light that the ashtray takes.

Yes, the third light is for the ashtray. According to Sylvania OSRAM lamp replacement guide the ashtray bulb is #1892.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Just wanted to update this thread since I finally pulled my console this past weekend.
    I had ordered a pair of ashtray lights assuming they were the same as the message center lights. That turned out to be incorrect.

The headache I wanted to avoid was to have to pull the console to get at the lights just to see what number they are, then wait a week for superbriteleds.com to ship me the lights. It almost turned out that way. The lights in the message center are the same as the side marker lights or dash cluster lights. So I had 2 useless twist in LEDs that I had to return but thankfully I had changed all my side markers to LEDs last month. So I pulled the 2 rear red ones, put them in the message center, swapped the old style lights from the message center to the rear side markers and I ordered a new pair of LEDs for the side markers which will be easier to swap out when they come.

Heres the message center lit red. The bulb out warning lights are from the LED brake lights I put in last week.
    Attachment 110916

Here's the bulb covers, they look like a Knights helmut with a slit in them for the dull original light to squeeze through. LEDs shines forward not around so I cut off the top with a razor and popped off the amber lens's. Notice the cover is also what clips into the back of the panel. Be gentle and don't break the tabs like I did on one. I had to use Aluminum duct tape to make it stay.
    Attachment 110917

Also worth showing is the arm rest that apparently was just hanging. I had wondered why it was so floppy when lifted. Well the plastic tabs the speed clips slide onto were both broken off. Literally nothing to clip onto. I cut up some sheet metal, used 2 part epoxy and glued them into place, drilled pilot holes and now the clips rest snug. Better then buying a new console.
    Attachment 110918
    Last edited by fgross2006; 04-05-2017 at 07:40 PM.