Close

Default Upgrading ignition coil

I have had some intermittent ignition loss and I want to try swapping the coil to troubleshoot it.

The car runs great 98% of the time. It has great pickup, cruisability, smooth idle etc, but when sitting at a red light every now and then my RPMs drop, the car sputters and will stall if I dont hit the gas pedal to stop it. Sometimes when accelerating from a dead stop and then easing off the gas pedal the car will sputter and jerk. I was hearing bumping noise from what I thought was the gas tank which is why I thought my fuel pump was going bad. I swapped out the fuel pump with a Walbro 190 LPH just make sure I wasn't losing fuel pressure and it didn't solve this issue so I'm now looking at ignition as the cause. Coincidentally this started after dropping in a crate motor last summer. Right after is when these issues started.

I have a stock Motorcraft in there right now and I have an Accel high performance coil sitting on a shelf in my garage that I had in the car about 2 years back that I want to put back in for testing. I also ordered a set of Ford racing 9mm plug wires from LMR to replace the 8.5mm MSD wires I have on the car for 3 years. the plugs are Motorcraft platinum's installed brand new with the crate motor last summer.

I read on the sales page that the Accel is a high output spark so I'm wondering if I need to open the spark plug gap when I use this coil and if so, to what size gap?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/accel-tficoil-849550.html

There is a missfire DTC code. Pull the codes and check for it. A coil fault should be seen by diagnoisis, not via swap out. If you want to swap it out, do so, but please be aware the SPOUT control deals with idel matters...if the exhaust is creating an ignition problem, I would not be at all supprised.

Hey, I knew your car's fuel system would respond to the changes.

Well done on all the hard work! Your car is what I like about the smartness off the CFI system, despite the very poor 1965 era manifolding. Basically, except for the cross over passage and the EGR changes, the E4 intake is 289 C code. CFI likes single plane open runner, but Ford decided to use a reheated E0 manifold, and nothing has changed. Despite the hell for stout cam the 1984 CFI M code ran.

Please note that any wiriing specfication change is a bad idea...Ford designed the TFI for certain plug wires, plugs and a specific coil specfication. Bearing in mind the costs invloved, you might be better off sticking with the stock TFI spec wires.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    There is a missfire DTC code. Pull the codes and check for it. A coil fault should be seen by diagnoisis, not via swap out. If you want to swap it out, do so, but please be aware the SPOUT control deals with idel matters...if the exhaust is creating an ignition problem, I would not be at all supprised.

Hey, I knew your car's fuel system would respond to the changes.

Well done on all the hard work! Your car is what I like about the smartness off the CFI system, despite the very poor 1965 era manifolding. Basically, except for the cross over passage and the EGR changes, the E4 intake is 289 C code. CFI likes single plane open runner, but Ford decided to use a reheated E0 manifold, and nothing has changed. Despite the hell for stout cam the 1984 CFI M code ran.

Please note that any wiriing specfication change is a bad idea...Ford designed the TFI for certain plug wires, plugs and a specific coil specfication. Bearing in mind the costs invloved, you might be better off sticking with the stock TFI spec wires.
    I forgot to mention that there no codes. None in KOEO, KOER and no stored codes in CM.