Close

Default Wheel offset question

Hey guys Ive just recently purchased a baer brake kit for my '86. I always loved the basket weave saleen wheels and found these https://www.nlmotoring.com/XXR-536-W.../536791020.htm
    From all the reading Ive done they should fit and clear the brakes but I am by no means a wheel expert and what I really find confusing is the offset, has anyone else looked into this kind of wheel / think these will actually clear?
    '86 Notchback https://vid.me/s9tt

Those wheels have 25mm offset which commonly works on Foxes with a 5 lug conversion. How well they fit will depend on how you convert to 5 lugs and your suspension setup. Every car is a bit different due to wheels, tire sizes, tire manufacturer, suspension settings, ride height, etc.

As for offset:

The wheel offset is measured in millimeters and results in a positive, negative, or zero offset. Positive offset is when the hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. ... Negative offset is when the hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Ok thanks for the info, Looks like the only gamble Im taking is if the mounting surface is far enough away from the spokes to clear the caliper, I think all I need is an inch and a half. I dont know how I feel about spacers even with longer studs if necessary. Maybe I can find a set in RL to use the template on.
    '86 Notchback https://vid.me/s9tt

I seem to recall the Wilwood kit they used on Detroit Muscle used the original spindles and simply bolted on with original style serviceable bearings. If that's the case, you should be golden.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

It all depends how close the rim's hub mounting pad is to the spokes of the rim as compared to how far out past the rotor hub pad the caliper sticks. The +25mm offset shows that the rim's mounting pad is offset 25mm (~1") toward the outside face of the rim. A 9" wide rim is ~10" overall width with the lip included. The specs on the page state a 2.75" lip, which if you assume a 1" thick spoke profile would only give you about 1-5/8" offset between the rims hub pad and the backside of the spokes. That is not a lot of clearance for caliper clearance. If the rims had a 1" lip, the spokes would be further outboard and give more room for caliper clearance. Best bet is to see if you can get a profile template for both your Baer setup and those rims to compare. Good luck.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4